Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

General > Cover Critique

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Murphy | 10 comments Hi all - I noticed that a lot of self-published folks in this group are designing their own covers (including myself). Since a lot of readers still, unfortunately judge a book by its cover, I was thinking it would be great if we could exchange critiques.

Linking my own book to get the ball rolling. It's a comedy about demons working in politics. Please let me know how you think it can be improved, or if it catches your eye/would make you want to read it. Will do the same for others!

Souls to the Polls

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose Collins | 3 comments Hello Patricia,

Your cover is fabulously eye- catching and works very well.
Love the tagline- "demons are real and they all work in politics".
Particularly relevant to November.

Maybe the tie could have been made shiny silver or gold to indicate the luxury + lucrative elements of life without morals in the political arena.

All the best with Souls to the Polls!

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Murphy | 10 comments Rose wrote: "Hello Patricia,

Your cover is fabulously eye- catching and works very well.
Love the tagline- "demons are real and they all work in politics".
Particularly relevant to November.

Maybe the tie co..."

Thank you!!! Love the idea about the tie - I'm trying to stay with political colors (red and blue), though maybe adding in a gold pin or something would work...will mull this over.

Do you have a cover to post?

message 4: by Rose (new)

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 35 comments In what genre is this book? Who is the targeted audience?

message 6: by Rose (new)

Rose Collins | 3 comments The Night Before Christmas is a children's picture book targeted at children under 8.
The story is based on the ancient poem "Twas the night before Christmas" with an animal twist- as Santa visits a family of bears on Christmas Eve.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 35 comments Rose wrote: "The Night Before Christmas is a children's picture book targeted at children under 8.
The story is based on the ancient poem "Twas the night before Christmas" with an animal twist- as Santa visits..."

Rose, I didn't realize you were submitting your cover also. My comment was for Patricia. So I'll ask her directly. Thanks for your answer, anyway.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 35 comments Patricia wrote: "Hi all - I noticed that a lot of self-published folks in this group are designing their own covers (including myself). Since a lot of readers still, unfortunately judge a book by its cover, I was t..."

In what genre is this book? Who is the targeted audience?

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Murphy | 10 comments Hey all! In response to the question: genre is comedy and paranormal. Target audience are primarily women aged 25 and up, especially folks who are fans of the Janet Evanovich series since there's a lot of similarity in tone an zaniness.

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Murphy | 10 comments Rose wrote: "The Night Before Christmas is a children's picture book targeted at children under 8.
The story is based on the ancient poem "Twas the night before Christmas" with an animal twist- as Santa visits..."

Just saw the cover! apologies, hadn't realized you'd posted. I love the concept of the book! It's adorable. Would like to see that awesome twist reflected in the cover, though - the existing art looks like it's the more traditional Night Before Christmas book.