WOC Block 2 discussion

Setting

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (last edited Oct 19, 2016 07:31AM) (new)

Joy Ruckoldt Your first and last name
Book title
What is the setting of your book? (time and place)
How would you describe this setting?
What details stand out to you?
Describe one scene that stands out to you.

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 8 comments Jamie Seibert
Glory O'Brien's History Of The Future

The setting of of this book takes place in present time and it takes place at a school and at the main characters Glorys house. The details that stand out to me is the fact that she can see into the past and the future just by looking at someone. And the science that stands out to me is when she is walking through the mall to get her graduation dress and she's walking around the mall and she sees a little girls future and she see the little girls son and his future, I think that it really is just when she is starting g to notice that she is not just imagining it.

message 3: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 8 comments Jordan Beltran
The Giver
The setting of my book is futuristic and society that is complex and simple. (Hard to explain) The setting is dystopian. The setting is in a place where it is formal and has rules for many certain specific things such as accepting apology like "I accept your apalogy" The detail that stands out to me is that Jonas who is the main character in the story is that he is starting to see colors. One scene that stood out to me is that the kids were playing a game of good guys and bad guys and they were pretending to shoot each other. This reminds Jonas of the memory of war.

message 4: by Tia (new)

Tia Watson | 8 comments The book I am reading is Life In the Fat Lane and the setting takes place in the late 90'S in Tennessee. The setting is sad because the mom and dad finally broke up after their years of fighting and lying. What stand out to me is, how the mom knew her husband was cheating on her and she still wanted to stay with her. And the scene that stands out to me is when the Mom overdosed on pills because she wanted to go to sleep and stay asleep.
- Tia Watson

message 5: by Emelia (new)

Emelia Woznicka | 7 comments Emelia Wozniczka
The Elite
Future, Illéa
In this county there are castes, where people are separated by a number of how many kids they have. This number determines what job they get and how they are treated in society. In the palace the rebels are trying to destroy the palace and take over Illéa to get rid of this caste system. The scene that stands out to me is when America presents her project on how to make the country better and her idea is to get rid of the caste system but it many people agree with her and this gets her in trouble.

message 6: by Vicente (new)

Vicente | 3 comments Vicente Lazo
Attack on Titan.
The setting is a isolated city the time is I don't but it said 2000 years from now.
They fight Titan to get there freedom.the scene that stand out to me is the wall breaking.

message 7: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Olmos | 6 comments Alejandro Olmos
Rumble Fish
The setting is ghetto
What stand out is that kids my age can get alcohol and there's fights everyday and if people got shanked people just take it as a paper cut
One scene that stand out is when the gym teacher pays the guy to beat up a kid that's annoying.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire Czernicki | 8 comments Claire Czernicki
Last years mistake
My book takes place in the 21st century, about 2913. It takes place in Connecticut and West Virginia.
This setting is very basic, it mostly takes place at the high school or the characters houses.
The authors word choice really stood out to me.
One scene that stood out to me was when the main character first met the love of her life at the summer house in W.V. because it was love at first sight and it was a good scene.

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 8 comments Alexis Favia
The Black Key

The setting of this book is in The Lone City. The city consitsts of four main areas that determine your ranking on the social scale; farm, smoke, marsh, and jewel.
A detail that stood out is when they described the jewel they say that the palaces were made of gold and the flowers looked like diamonds, but the marsh is all muddy and dirty, the houses are shacks and there are harmful chemicals in the air.
In the book when Violet visited the marsh after a year in the jewel she realized that people don't care if the lower civilians can live in their homes because they don't even think about them.

message 10: by Isaac (new)

Isaac San | 8 comments Isaac San Roman
The Boy in The Striped Pajamas
The setting of this book is a death camp in Auschwitz during WW2
the way how at the beginning of the book Bruno funds out that they are moving due to his dad's job
How Bruno started to ask his mom questions of why they are moving and where exactly they are moving

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria | 8 comments Claire Hidalgo
"The summer after you + me"
The setting of the book is in New Jersey and right after hurricane Sandy. The setting is a romance feeling cuz she likes this guy. The way she describes the ocean is so detailed it feels like your there.the scene that stands out to me is when she is surfing.

message 12: by Sergio (new)

Sergio | 5 comments Sergio Castro
The giver
It takes place in the future and dystopian
They all see back and white and they don't have feelings the main character is unique form everyone els
The scene that stands out to me is when the main character moves from the place to another place to safe a baby

message 13: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Mendoza | 4 comments Jesus Mendoza
My Bloody Life
It's around 1970 in Chicago. It's very violent and sad
one scene would be the death of one of the main characters friends he described how he died and the reaction of everyone that was there very detailed. It was very sad and made you feel as you were there at the moment it happened. This book really gets you attached as you keep reading

message 14: by Vicente (new)

Vicente | 3 comments Jordan wrote: "Jordan Beltran
The Giver
The setting of my book is futuristic and society that is complex and simple. (Hard to explain) The setting is dystopian. The setting is in a place where it is formal and h..."

message 15: by Bella (new)

Bella Sinks | 9 comments Bella Sinks
Iron Kin
The setting takes place in another world called Nevernever.
The mood is eerie. They way the author describe new characters is great. I think one scene that stands out to me is when Meghan get captured by these ugly look trolls.

message 16: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Strauss | 7 comments Jenna Strauss
Ash fall
Present time
The setting is regular North America.
The volcano in Yellowstone is a big part.
I am on page 5. The boy is home alone and his parents left for their uncles house. The boy fought with his mom not to go.

message 17: by Joe (new)

Joe | 8 comments Joseph Goodwin
The Dark tower: The Gunslinger
This book takes place all over another planet in a futuristic version of the Wild West. The details that stand out is the fact that there is lots of pieces of futuristic technology in the middle of the desert and that doesn't really make sense to me. One scene that stood out to me is when the gunslinger was in a saloon when everybody in the whole town turned into a demon and tried to kill the gunslinger. But the gunslinger successfully killed all the spirits and the entire town and survived to progress on his journey toward the Dark Tower.

message 18: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Padilla | 7 comments Jesus Padilla
Found
Clarksville, Ohio
The setting mostly takes place in Chips basement because that's where Jonah, Chip, and Katherine examine and go all over the information that they have gathered through their investigation to find out in what time periods Jonah and Chip came from.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments Michael Nicioli

The name of my book is "Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe". This story takes place in 1987. In the book Aristotle says" if the sun could have mealted the blue right of the sky. Then the sky would have been as miserable as I was". ( This is how he is thinking and science this is told in first person, the reader knows his thoughts). So far in the book the reader is getting a sense of Aristotle by how he reacts to things. The scene that stuck out to me was the quote above because sometimes people do lose there color and become miserable.

message 20: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Amaya | 2 comments Carlos Amaya
The young Elites by Marie lu
The setting of the story is in a jail cell the main character is a girl named Adelina with flaws that are really bad so the people in the story think she is evil and her family is looked down upon for the reason that she is in it.

message 21: by Rosario (new)

Rosario | 8 comments Rosario Cruz
The mortal instrument city of bones
The setting of my book is in a normal city but with demons, shawdow hunters,etc.
The details that really stood out to me was mundanes(people) can't see all of this and Clary who all her life didn't know she was part shadow hunter,now she can see all of this.
A scene that stood out to me is how Cary is able to kill a demon without anyone's else's help, even tho she recently found out she was part shadow hunter.

message 22: by Joy (last edited Oct 19, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Joy Ruckoldt Mike Parisi
The book I'm currently reading is Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe. The setting is El Paso Texas 1987. I would describe this setting as kind of sad as of what Aristotle thinks of it, but yet it's like any other town. The deatails that stand out to me the most is Aristotles family. Her family is Hispanic and they seem to have a lot of troubles. Aristotles brother is in prison, her father is a Vietnam veteran who is either angry or stressed out all the time.and her mother seems to be trying to get away from this whole situation. Ari on the other hand is trying to figure this whole thing out. One scene that stands out to me is when Ari becomes friends with Dante at the pool. Originally Aristotle didn't have any friends at all, but then when he meets Dante it's like they won't stop hanging out with each other.

message 23: by Joy (new)

Joy Ruckoldt Rayna Schuttler
The book I am reading is The Dead Town by Dean Koontz. The setting is in a small town called Rainbow Falls, Montana. The setting is very dark and tense. I think the one detail that stands out is how detailed everything is. It's dark and you can imagine everything clearly

message 24: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Ibarra | 5 comments Adriana Ibarra
Username: Evie
By: Joe Sugg
The setting of my book mostly takes place in school and inside a different dimension. I would describe the setting as something different from earth and more nicer since the story setting kinda takes place in another dimension that isn't in earth and where the main character is from. Since the book is a graphic novel and shows pictures I got to see how the the other dimension looked which looked way better then the normal setting so the dimension world really stood out to me in the story. One scene that stands out to me is when the main character Evie discovers the other dimension and when she found out that , that world was just for her and it was just a good part of the story that I really liked.