World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > How reliable are billing systems of book retailers?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13518 comments I remember when cell phones just started their telecommunication domination, some customers complained on being billed for minutes they hadn't talked and texts they hadn't sent. Things improved since and many packages include unlimited airtime, rendering minutes irrelevant..

In any partnership from medieval times, the possibility to check partner's sales record was of essence.

Most arrangements between indie authors and retail platforms is a revenue share model, be it with Amazon, Smash, Kobo and others, where the retailer handles the billing and reports sales and where the author has little control over the accuracy...

Are those billing systems accurate and foolproof, so we can sleep well, or not necessarily? What do you think?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I am not a KDP client but I have heard grumblings online and here on gr about page reads being suspiciously lower than usual for the past two or three months.

message 3: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 405 comments hmmmm interesting topic. the thought has crossed my mind in the past. I pushed it aside as I would like to think that it is an automated process, so really is relatively accurate (I say). but the comparison with telephone minutes raises a good question. I'm just glad that I am working towards getting my readers to come to my website as their number one place for my books rather than elsewhere. I wouldn't lie to myself eheheheh

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13518 comments Sure, it's an automated process and you can't count manually or deal manually with big data these days, but as anything automated you can probably calibrate the system this or that way.
To get it straight - I have no indication whatsoever about anything funny, not even a rumor.
On the other hand, who would think VolksWagen may cheat on pollution tests, right?

message 5: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 405 comments True true

message 6: by Nik (last edited Oct 21, 2016 04:29AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13518 comments Tara wrote: "I am not a KDP client but I have heard grumblings online and here on gr about page reads being suspiciously lower than usual for the past two or three months."

We can make an experiment - all we need is 1-2 prime members willing to read a few pages on Unlimited and a couple of authors, enrolled with Select and who don't have their books read through KU frequently and currently -:) Any volunteers?

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13518 comments What do you think about billing systems: absolutely impeccable or may contain a few cut corners ?

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13518 comments The reason I return to this thread, is that two people I trust said they purchased paperbacks of the new book I'd published recently, but so far I see no trace of these on author's dashboard. Has anyone checked the accuracy somehow?