World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > Live well or make it big time?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments Is a reasonable living, like your place, car, coverage of expenses and a possibility for modest savings, something you would settle for or you need and want more than that?

message 2: by Nihar (new)

Nihar Suthar (niharsuthar) | 38 comments Nik,

Personally, I'm a simple guy so that would be plenty for me. However, it would be important to me to have enough time to work on my writing and also pursue my passions...I would love to start some sort of nonprofit one day! So, I wouldn't care how much luxuries I have, as long as I have time to pursue those passions as well.

-Nihar
www.niharsuthar.com

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments Nihar wrote: "it would be important to me to have enough time to work on my writing.."

Granted, Nihar! -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments A comfortable life surrounded by family and friends and a little nest egg in the bank is more than enough for me. I wouldn't turn away more lol but I don't need it. I've been fortunate enough to have some stellar experiences in my life but I've never been happier than when I'm out on the deck with my family, grilling steaks and watching the kids, nieces, nephews and cousins running around, chasing one another in the yard. That's when I feel wealthy.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments Tara wrote: "A comfortable life surrounded by family and friends and a little nest egg in the bank is more than enough for me. I wouldn't turn away more lol but I don't need it. I've been fortunate enough to ha..."

Yep, sounds happy as it is!
Absence of oil wells and 500 ft yacht won't be an inconvenience? -:)

message 6: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Nik wrote: "Yep, sounds happy as it is!
Absence of oil wells and 500 ft yacht won't be an inconvenience?..."

Nope! They tend to attract 'friends' and relatives to you in a sudden fashion.

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments Michel wrote: "Nope! They tend to attract 'friends' and relatives to you in a sudden fashion."

-:)

message 8: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments For most of our marriage, my husband has been the sole bread winner. It's almost unheard of nowadays for the wife to not work and stay at home in cases where the husband isn't some big executive or raking in the moolah, so yeah, we always made do and found our happy place this way. We wouldn't say no to more, for sure, LOL, but do we really need it to be happy? No.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kuhn (kevinkuhn) | 45 comments Most lotto winners end up destitute and extremely unhappy. I'll take modest success any day of the week.

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments Kevin wrote: "Most lotto winners end up destitute and extremely unhappy. "

Hey, I heard that too, but is it true and statistically supported or just some legend based on maybe a single past tragedy?

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kuhn (kevinkuhn) | 45 comments From Fortune magazine - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&s...

message 12: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments Thanks for bringing this, Kevin, interesting

message 13: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2151 comments Zee wrote: "For most of our marriage, my husband has been the sole bread winner. It's almost unheard of nowadays for the wife to not work and stay at home in cases where the husband isn't some big executive or..."

Nowadays, the statistic is about 40% of couples have the woman as the main breadwinner...those husbands better have dinner ready when their wives get home from work....

message 14: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments J.J. wrote: "Nowadays, the statistic is about 40% of couples have the woman as the main breadwinner...those husbands better have dinner ready when their wives get home from work..."

Maybe it's because too many husbands become writers -:)

message 15: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments J.J. wrote: "Nowadays, the statistic is about 40% of couples have the woman as the main breadwinner...those husbands better have dinner ready when their wives get home from work..."

Well, I'm looking forward to that when he retires :) We've got this situation going on atm because he's working and I'm building my 'business' so to speak. Looking forward to reversing that tend in the future

message 16: by John (new)

John Mitchell (goodreadscomjohnjmitchell) | 2 comments There was a study done at the university where I work, but please don't hold me to the exact numbers, that once a family makes a certain level of income, say $30K, there is no correlation between wealth and happiness.

The results support my observations.

message 17: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments That sounds true. Paris Hilton also probably has unhappy days -:)
But what happens below 30K? Shall we infer from the study that below that there is a clear connection between wealth and happiness?

message 18: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 32 comments If you're doing what you love, you're not hungry, and have a roof over your head, that's pretty good compared to many people in the world. I'm grateful for all I have.

But... if I can dream, I'd like my books to sell more while remaining anonymous. I'd like my book "The Daughter Claus" to be made into a successful movie and, if it made me rich, I'd set up a charitable foundation.

But let me ask another question here: Are most writers introverts? I live in my head a lot.

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments D. wrote: "Are most writers introverts?..."

Can well be.. I am.
Maybe some find it more convenient to feed the story into the cyberspace to anonymous readers rather than express thoughts, feelings, emotions to a specific audience..

message 20: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments And what are your aspirations?

message 21: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5516 comments I wonder how many of you here are introverts. I'm certainly one.

I live well on a modest income and have never had an interest in making it big time. Money can't buy happiness, as many celebrities have found. But financial security is, I think, a prerequisite for a happy life.

message 22: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments And what are your aspirations? And would you stop once you secured the lifestyle that you want for days to come?

message 23: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5516 comments Is it something people are born with, this desire to make it big time? Are introverts less likely to seek fame and fortune, extroverts more likely to? I think maybe Elon is an introvert, not sure. Or is ambition maybe something people come to through experience or family influence? Nature, nurture - both, neither, or some combo?

message 24: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) from what I have seen of Tech Billionaires they do not come across as extroverts even if behaving like one. e.g. publicising their products or initiatives is something they have learned to do not something they like doing. Mark Z or Steve Jobs as examples

message 25: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5516 comments Good point

message 26: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1660 comments Scout wrote: "I wonder how many of you here are introverts. I'm certainly one.

I live well on a modest income and have never had an interest in making it big time. Money can't buy happiness, as many celebrities..."

I think that is very true for most of us - it's not that we want to make it big; we just want to feel secure.

message 27: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13757 comments Lizzie wrote: "I think that is very true for most of us - it's not that we want to make it big; we just want to feel secure...."

Extremely important to the peace of mind, but a rare commodity these days...

message 28: by Gary (new)

Gary Allen, PhD (gallen6) INTJ

message 29: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 2841 comments Personally,

Living well.

message 30: by Cair-Paravel (new)

Cair-Paravel De Loulay | 39 comments Living well, 100%.

I am a governess, paid through room and board and I have never been happier.

When I was working, it was killing me slowly, due to barely being able cover a simple lifestyle.