You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > November 2016 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Oct 24, 2016 01:15AM) (new)

Sarah | 18194 comments November's theme will be books with a female main character who is over 60. This might require some more serious gophering.

So if you have a book suggestion that fits this theme, go ahead and nominate it.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print or 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) or 3) published no less than 3 months ago.

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close 23rd October

Nominations so far:
A Year of Marvellous Ways - Lisa, Peggy, Debra
Britt-Marie Was Here - Kristie, Colleen
An Unnecessary Woman - Carol
There Was an Old Woman - Annerlee
Travels With My Aunt - Cherie
Driving Miss Daisy - Joan

message 2: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments I voted for this, but it turns out I have loads of books with male characters over 60, but hardly any with a female character... I'll keep looking...

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14179 comments Can't link on the app, but I'll nominate Britt-Marie Was Here.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I nominate A Year of Marvellous Ways. The main character is a 90 year old woman.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49940 comments I'm going to nominate Lethal Bayou Beauty. Yes, it's book 2 in a series, but a couple months back we read book 1 in the group read.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15354 comments Lisa wrote: "I nominate A Year of Marvellous Ways. The main character is a 90 year old woman."

That was my suggestion too Lisa! :) I think it's one of the few, if not the only, books I have that fit the theme.

I second A Year of Marvellous Ways

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Oct 18, 2016 08:06AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49940 comments ]Kristie wrote: "Can't link on the app, but I'll nominate Britt-Marie Was Here."

Britt-Marie Was Here

I almost nominated another of his books, but I couldn't find an ebook for it, and all copies in my library and ILL are not available. Is this one readily available?

ETA - I found the ebook at amazon.ca. For some reason when I searched for it initially, I was just finding a digest of it. I didn't realize this was the same author as A Man Called Ove.

And I found my original option My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises on Amazon.ca for $6.99. I think the problem was that the novel has different titles. Now I'm torn. I'll leave my nomination as is for now, unless Sarah rules it out because it is book 2.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "That was my suggestion too Lisa! :) I think it's one of the few, if not the only, boo..."

:D

message 9: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3202 comments The only female main character over 60 that I can think of is Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. Does anyone have a favorite Miss Marple book?

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14179 comments I'm sticking with my nomination, but just saw this at my library, Every Last Cuckoo, and the main character is a 75 year old woman. I wasn't even gophering!

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14179 comments Lanelle wrote: "The only female main character over 60 that I can think of is Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. Does anyone have a favorite Miss Marple book?"

The only Miss Marple I've read is Murder at the Vicarage for this group and it was very good.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14179 comments Janice wrote: "And I found my original option My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises on Amazon.ca for $6.99. I think the problem was that the novel has different titles. Now I'm torn. I'll leave my nomination as is for now, unless Sarah rules it out because it is book 2. "

Yes, it is called My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry here. I read that one and thought it was good. Cute story and interesting characters.

Thanks for adding the Britt-Marie link. :)

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I can't think in anything to nominate, but I will really enjoy to read something that kind of MC.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments I nominate An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine, where the main character is a book-loving, Lebanese, 72-year old woman.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49940 comments This is going to be a tough choice because there are already so many good titles listed.

message 16: by Carol (last edited Oct 18, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Just to give folks some other ideas (I'm not nominating these):

the Aunty Lee mystery series that takes place in Singapore - written by Ovidia Yu

On the Occasion of My Last Afternoon by Kaye Gibbons

Breaking Out of Bedlam by Leslie Larson (humor)

The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love by Joan Medlicott

and other ideas in this blog:
http://www.womens-fiction.com/womens-...

message 17: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18194 comments Janice wrote: "I'm going to nominate Lethal Bayou Beauty. Yes, it's book 2 in a series, but a couple months back we read book 1 in the group read."

I'm going to say no to book 2 because it limits the readers to those who participated in the book 1 read (and those who don't care about series order).

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18194 comments Lanelle wrote: "The only female main character over 60 that I can think of is Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. Does anyone have a favorite Miss Marple book?"

Are you nominating? Which Miss Marple book would you like to pick.

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18194 comments Carol wrote: "Just to give folks some other ideas (I'm not nominating these):

the Aunty Lee mystery series that takes place in Singapore - written by Ovidia Yu

[book:On the Occasion of My Last..."

This might be good to put in the "other books in the theme" thread when i open it jp for the month to give people ideas who do not want to read one of the chosen group reads.

message 20: by Annerlee (last edited Oct 18, 2016 02:45PM) (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments I'd like to nominate There Was an Old Woman
- I read the description and want to know what on earth the 90 yr old was up to...
Available on ebook in the uk (US??) and there seems to be quite a few cheaper second hand versions available as well as new

message 21: by Cherie (last edited Oct 18, 2016 05:24PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20270 comments I would like to nominate Travels With My Aunt. I think it sounds interesting.

I found another, but I am not sure it will be available for enough of us. It was originally published in 1971, but I would like to find a copy some day. Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont. Check out the author! It caught my eye, but no, it is not her.

I have added your book to my TBR list, Annerlee. :)

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49940 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm going to say no to book 2 because it limits the readers to those who participated in the book 1 read (and those who don't care about series order)...."

I'm happy to withdraw the nomination. I'll be gone for a week and not available to be discussion leader. I'll just vote. I might read this one anyway because it will be a good beach book. I shall see.

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 54 comments I will second Britt-Marie Was Here

message 24: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3202 comments Sarah wrote: "Lanelle wrote: "The only female main character over 60 that I can think of is Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. Does anyone have a favorite Miss Marple book?"

Are you nominating? Which Miss Marple book would you like to pick?"

No, I'm not nominating a book. Just reminding everyone of a possibility.

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Add my nomination for A Year of Marvellous Ways.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18194 comments Debra wrote: "Add my nomination for A Year of Marvellous Ways."

Do you mean seconding? ;-)

message 27: by Joan (new)

Joan I nominate Driving Miss Daisy

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20270 comments I thought of that one too, Joan but I already posted my other one.

message 29: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Yep, I third it!

message 30: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2672 comments Colleen wrote: "I will second Britt-Marie Was Here"

I will third this

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18194 comments Nominations are now closed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.