Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free beta of first few chapters

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lin (new)

Lin | 213 comments Mod
I'm an experienced, professional editor/proofreader/typesetter and, workload permitting, I'm happy to provide a free written report on the OPENING SECTION of your manuscript - 5k to 10k words.
My website is www.coinlea.co.uk, and if you check out the blog on there you'll find several articles on beta reading generally and on the way I work. You'll also find the email address to send your file to (Word or PDF please).
As long as I don't get buried under piles of manuscripts, I'm hoping to offer a 7 day turnaround on this. It's possible that I might then be able to offer a free full read (paid reads almost always available, of course!).
As a rough guide, the last report I sent off was four pages long.

message 2: by Lin (new)

Lin | 213 comments Mod
Just to add that since posting this five hours ago I've received four files...

I try to acknowledge each file received within 24 hours, and confirm safe receipt. If you send me something and have NOT heard back within 48 hours, then please do check, as sometimes things slip into the spam folder and I miss them, or I get so many that one slips by unnoticed.

Likewise with chasing up. I'll try and give you an estimate, and I'll try to get back to within that timeframe, either with the report or with an update if I've been delayed. If you haven't heard and it's after the estimated time, then a polite check-up is always welcomed.

message 3: by Lin (new)

Lin | 213 comments Mod
Just to reiterate: until I say otherwise, I'm willing to take on the first 5-10k of your novel and give you a detailed report on it. All I ask is that you send the file, plus information to include:
title
blurb
your writing experience
your intentions
any areas you wish me to look at particularly

Otherwise, I divide the report into plot, setting, voice, writing, characters and a couple more, including a summary of the content - if I have problems writing a summary, then you haven't got enough happening.

Just one quick word of warning - I'm focused on what needs to be done to ready a piece of work for publication, so if you're just looking for someone to cheer you on then you might be disappointed.

message 4: by David (new)

David Callinan (davidcallinan) | 32 comments Hello Lin
My surrogacy thriller MISCONCEPTION has been long listed for a Crime Writers Associaton Dagger award. (under my pen name of Jack Burns).

It is a work-in-progress. Three leading literary agents (so far) are keen to see the finished book based on a three chapter pitch – or even read extracts/chapters as I write them. The book will probably be finished by Christmas.

Think of it as 'Fatal Attraction' meets 'Girl On A Train'.

I am looking for a beta reader to take a look at the first nine or ten chapters (circa 15,000 words) and then (if interested) more chapters over months to stay close to the story. Probably easier to email me at books@davidcallinan.com although I have ticked the notify me box.

I look forward to hearing from you.

message 5: by Lin (new)

Lin | 213 comments Mod
Hi David

I've given instructions above on what to do if you want me to read your introduction. 15k words is a little over what I'm currently offering, but if you manage to hook me well enough I might not want to stop ;)

message 6: by Lin (new)

Lin | 213 comments Mod
Just to update on this: I still have around 3 files that I must get done and out, and I'll try to catch up on those over the next week.

After that, I must give priority to stuff that pays the bills, but if you're able to follow the instructions given above for asking for a free read and you mention goodreads and this offer, AND if I've got time to do it, then you might be lucky. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful than that, but I've really enjoyed the experience of reading a wide variety of openings.