The Malazan Fallen discussion

Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #2)
This topic is about Return of the Crimson Guard
Group Read - Return of the C G > RotCG - Book Three, Chapter SixT& Epilogue- NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Book Three Chapter Six and Epilogue Discussion Thread. Please use spoiler tags

Eugenio | 108 comments Having sped through reading the last few chapters I just want to say here: Battle of the Plains was fantastic! Beating and then switching the veterans from the Malazan Rebellion back into the Malazan forces and then facing down the Crimson Guard!

The Crimson Guard dividing with the Disavowed now with the Crippled God and K'azz, Shimmer and the rest off in the world.

Mallick is now Emperor!! Laseen how we will miss you and I never thought I would say that!

Ryllandaras taken down, but where to?!? And where did Liss disappear to also?!?

Overall a great finish to a disjointed book at times! Let me know what was the standout for you!

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments I'm done. Terrific second half minus two moments.

Laseen's death and Tayschrenn being sucked into the warren of chaos sucked. Those should have been such bigger moments.

I knew Skinner was headed to team TCG. This certainly makes things interesting.

Mallick sucks. At least Dom is getting his.

To be clear this is Traveller/Daseem who was once part of House Death.

His long black hair blew about his scarred dark face. ‘Greetings, Dessembrae,’ spoke a nearby gnawed skull, once buried but since dug up by scavengers. ‘And I say Dessembrae for I see you are here now in that aspect.’

The man let go a long breath, rolled his neck to ease its tension. ‘A long time, Hood.’

‘Indeed. Dare I say how just like those old times?’

The man’s face twisted in loathing. ‘No, you may not.’

‘Yet here you are – why are you here?’

‘I am bearing witness to a death. A soldier’s death.’ ‘How… commonplace.’ ‘He was no common soldier, though he knew it not. Had the Seti remained he would have out-generalled the Imperial forces, and had his bodyguard been a fraction of an instant faster, would have proven victorious over the Guard as well. He would have made High Fist and risen to become one of the greatest commanders ever thrown up by the Empire. But all that potential died here today, unrealized. Known to none.’

‘I know, Dessembrae. I took him.’

Eugenio | 108 comments I didn't mind Laseen's death. She has been understated and underestimated all series, so it being so subdued felt right.

I also felt cheated with Tay's death sequence. He was pulled into a hole into Chaos, which is no small feat, but he also just appeared as well.

The convergences of such forces! Fantastic finish

message 5: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
I agree, I really liked how Laseens death was written.

There is a difference in the two deaths. Laseen is dead, Tay has disappeared into Chaos. Not the same thing as writing his death. Just saying.

Eugenio | 108 comments Almost done "Orb Sceptre Throne" and woohoo let's say these books are connected! Is that a spoiler?

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments Lee wrote: "Tay has disappeared into Chaos. Not the same thing as writing his death. Just saying."

Yes I worded it as sucked into chaos not his demise and ICE spells that out with K'azz saying I wouldn't count him out.

Eugenio wrote: "Almost done "Orb Sceptre Throne" and woohoo let's say these books are connected! Is that a spoiler?"

I won't get there for a few months. Toll the Hounds in Dec, Stonewielder in Jan, Dust of Dreams Feb and then OST in March.

Eugenio | 108 comments Scott, the recommended reading order is perfect when leading into OCT. The book is a mix of both BotF and ME storylines, so when I started I was trying to remember all of the exact details of the BotF characters and plots which have moved to the back of my mind. The journey there will be fantastic. Have a great time!

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 163 comments Thanks. The recommended reading order is definitely the way to go. There's so many little details hopping between the series which are invaluable.

Eugenio | 108 comments Stonewielder doesn't really feel like it connects entirely with BotF. Maybe a few references to that series of books, but it's more of a standalone and direct connection to RotCG.

I can't make the decision right now if Stonewielder or OST is the best so far. If I had been following the reading order would have given me a better appreciation for OST.