Aussie Readers discussion

You and Your Books! > Teaser Tuesday

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,170 (1170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

message 1: by Sally906, the traveller (new)

Sally906 | 6380 comments Mod
Always looking for a reason to get more books? Curious about what other people are reading?

Maybe this thread will help!

Every Tuesday why don’t you:

1. Grab your nearest book (physical or electronic)
2. Open to the page where your bookmark is, and
3. Share a teasing section with us in a post here.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!

AND don’t forget to link the title and author too, in case the tease is so good that others want to add it to their TBR piles!

message 2: by Sally906, the traveller (last edited Oct 18, 2016 12:18AM) (new)

My teaser is from:

The Fairytale Curse (Magic's Return Book 1) by Marina Finlayson The Fairytale Curse by Marina Finlayson

“I have to fly to Paris tomorrow. Something’s happened to Dad.”
My breath caught in my throat. My first thought was a plane crash, or car accident...I swallowed hard. “What’s happened?”
She took a deep breath. Her hands gripped the benchtop so tight her knuckles went white. “He’s been…turned into a bear.”

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 60319 comments Mod
'Can I have a vodka, please?' asked Janelle.
'And which mixer would you like?'
Janelle shook her head. 'On the rocks.'
The flight attendant returned a minute later with two plastic cups.

She drank greedily...
'Excuse me,' said Janelle. 'May I have the same again?'
The flight attendant raised an admonishing eyebrow. 'We have responsible service of alcohol guidelines on this flight.'
'And I'm a fearful flyer,' Janelle declared. 'That storm has made me ... edgy.'

Fearless Fearless by Fiona Higgins by Fiona Higgins

message 4: by Carolyn (last edited Oct 18, 2016 01:02AM) (new)

Carolyn | 5647 comments The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko by Scott StambachThe Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko by Scott Stambach

"Ivan, say something."
I heard her feet climbing the metal rungs of the ladder.
"I'm Ok."
"Good", she said as her shiny bald head popped out of the opening. She took a moment to drink in the night sky with me before continuing.
"I grew up in Lviv where there is too much light in the city to see the stars at night. Thank sweet baby Jesus of Bethlehem for piece-of-shit Mazyr.
I was too stuck on the stars to respond.
"Blin! My little Ivan, you've never seen the night sky before have you?"
"Yes, I have"
"But only through your window."

message 5: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Phrynne | 7515 comments Mod
The Infernals by John Connolly The Infernals (Samuel Johnson, #2) by John Connolly

"It wasn't quite true. That the car had been stolen. In fact Samuel had given the keys to the Demon Nurd so that he could drive it straight down the mouth of the portal between Hell and Biddlecombe thus collapsing it and preventing the Great Malevolence from escaping into our world."

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10527 comments A Mother's Reckoning Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue KleboldA Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold

"persistent and unrelenting themes of depression, suicidality, and alienation.... and increasing dissociation from his sense of himself prior to the onset of his depression. As his inner pain and sense of alienation worsen so too does his dehumanization of others, loss of emotive capacity other than the experience of pain, and the promise of the release of pain, from the context of a delusional inner world that leads to suicidal and homicidal plans discussed in this journal."

message 7: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 61 comments Fractured by Catherine McKenzie

“ Chris shrugs again. Then he turns and follows his mother’s instructions. I stand waiting on the sidewalk, trying to understand his meaning. What was he trying to tell me? My stomach gives that empty thump again and I remember."

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments "I'm heating this up now; please eat some of it with me".
"What's the point?" She had replied, making him shake his head. She left him in the kitchen and curled up on the couch in the living room, switching on the news but muting the sound.
She hadn't asked that question to be difficult. She really would like to know if there is any point in her continuing to exist, continuing to feed and dress herself, or even get out of bed in the mornings."

Blame Blame by Nicole Trope by Nicole Trope

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I hope you're enjoying that one Veronica :)

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ace ⚓ wrote: "Fractured by Catherine McKenzie

“ Chris shrugs again. Then he turns and follows his mother’s instructions. I stand waiting on the sidewalk, trying to understand h..."

This one sounds good Ace!

message 11: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 61 comments Its very good Brenda.

I'm going to steal the line from yours about the vodka on my next flight... "I'm a fearful flyer, I'm definitely going to need more Vodka please "

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Hahaha!! Go for it! lol

message 13: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis "life is a simple book, and an open book, read and be simple as the beasts in the field; just being miserable isn't enough - you have got to know how"

Nightwood Nightwood by Djuna Barnes by Djuna Barnes

message 14: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments I've only just started Brenda. I'm still getting over Eleanor & Park but I'm excited for the drama of Blame

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Happy reading then :)

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Another Tuesday..another teaser :)

Worth Fighting For Worth Fighting For by Mary-Anne O'Connor by Mary-Anne O'Connor

He and his other droving mate, James Clifford - or "Cliffy" as everyone knew him - had falsified their birth certificates together and were now locked in each other's company, day in, day out. Training had been easy enough, they were used to shooting and hard, physical labour, but they'd missed having a drink.
And Michael missed seeing Junie.

message 17: by Carolyn (last edited Oct 24, 2016 07:49PM) (new)

Carolyn | 5647 comments Here's mine, from In the Woods In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French by Tana French

Invisible dips and hollows flicked open under my feet and I couldn't run fast enough. Legs crashing knee-deep through underbrush, it was like every childhood nightmare come true. Trailing ivy wrapped around my face and I think I screamed. I knew beyond all doubt I would never get out of the wood, they would find my sleeping bag - for an instant I saw, sharp as reality, Cassie in her red jumper, kneeling in the clearing among falling leaves and reaching out a gloved hand to touch the fabric - and nothing else, ever.

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Loved that book Carolyn :)

message 19: by Sally906, the traveller (new)

Beat me to it Brenda ;)

Here's mine from The Art of Keeping Secrets by Rachael Johns The Art of Keeping Secrets by Rachael Johns:

At that moment, Seb appeared, his broad shoulders pushed back as he swaggered towards them with a smile on his face that would make a nun think about taking off her knickers

Cor! who wouldn't want a hubby who could be described like that - he is a nice person too.

BUT

He does have a secret side......

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha! Such a good book Sally :)

message 21: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  (RozanneN) | 924 comments Sally906 wrote: "with a smile on his face that would make a nun think about taking off her knickers"

LOL love that :)

message 22: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments You can’t fall out with Daisy, not over this. We need each other, that’s what Dan doesn’t get. He thought it would be a simple thing –you never speak to your sister again and that would be it. Boom. Plain sailing. But he never got the ‘twin’ thing, the fact that we spent nine months together, jostling for space in the womb, two people who came from one conception, one act, how could we ever be separate? Even when she’s far away and you’re here, we’re still feeling one another in some stupid, semi-mystical way, and that, Mr Bekener, is forever. When you and your fancy drainpipe jeans and your hard-man boots and your chaos-symbol tattoo have vanished into nothingness, we will still be together, Daisy and me.

I Don't Want To Talk About It by Jane Lovering

message 23: by Marina (new)

Marina Finlayson | 284 comments When I was seven, I found a sparkling lying dead on a bench at the edge of the woods which formed the back boundary of our garden, that the groundskeeper had not yet cleared away. With much excitement, I brought it for my mother to see, but by the time I reached her it had mostly collapsed into ash in my hands.

from A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

a sparkling lying dead... is there a word missing Marina? Unless a sparkling is a "being"???

message 25: by Marina (last edited Oct 25, 2016 12:17AM) (new)

Marina Finlayson | 284 comments No, there's nothing missing. A sparkling is a tiny butterfly-sized dragon.

The book is written as if it's the real-life memoirs of a Victorian-era lady, only the world is very different to ours, since dragons actually exist. She wants to be a naturalist and study dragons, but struggles with the societal expectations for ladies in that era. It's a great read!

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ahh thanks! Now I understand :)

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10527 comments The Nakano Thrift Shop by Hiromi KawakamiThe Nakano Thrift Shop by Hiromi Kawakami

At a loss, he asked a friend who was interested in fortune telling, who told him that he had to get rid of the bowl. There was a jinx on it, so he couldn't sell it, but he couldn't keep it around either. His only option was for someone to borrow it or keep it from him, though that wouldn't completely dispel the jinx. Still, it would be better than doing nothing.

message 28: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Eligible (The Austen Project #4) by Curtis Sittenfeld Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld.
This is a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice and it is actually very good!

"Oh Lizzy." Jane's voice was tremulous. "I fainted at the restaurant and they've brought me to the E.R."
"Wait, are you okay? What happened?"
There was a long silence. Then, so quietly Liz almost couldn't hear her Jane said "I'm pregnant."

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5647 comments I like your teaser Phrynne - I've been thinking of buying this. Might have to now :)

message 30: by Carolyn (last edited Nov 01, 2016 01:45AM) (new)

Carolyn | 5647 comments Here's my teaser for this week:

From The Hypnotist's Love Story The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty by Liane Moriarty

"By the way, I'm not 'stalking' you. Please stop using that word, you know it's ridiculous. I just want to TALK to you, that's all.
From an unopened email to Patrick Scott"

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh well done Carolyn! I forgot about it!

Here's mine :)

Nance looked over to where her goat stood amongst the nesting hens, impatient in her corner. A drain had been hollowed out of the dirt floor to separate the animal and her leavings from Nance's own quarter, while allowing her warmth to give heat to the room. Nance stepped over the rivulet of waste and water and placed a gentle hand on the goat's head, smoothing the hair on her cheek and combing her beard free of straw.
"You're a good girl, Mora. Faith, what a grand girl you are."

The Good People by Hannah Kent

message 32: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments "Fear was all around now, outside, within, in every heart including hers now. She was losing her mind, she was going crazy! This couldn't be happening."

Journey to Landaran by Judy Goodwin

message 33: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5647 comments Brenda wrote: "Oh well done Carolyn! I forgot about it!

I wondered where everyone was!

message 34: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 1905 comments Carolyn wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Oh well done Carolyn! I forgot about it!

I wondered where everyone was!"

I needed someone to post first then I get an email alert. :)

message 35: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha! That's true Veronica :) We should nominate a "first person" for every Tuesday ;)

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Oh well done Carolyn! I forgot about it!

I wondered where everyone was!"

LOL!

message 37: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (last edited Nov 01, 2016 02:40AM) (new)

An obscenity in flesh
A thing of mouths and teeth and long gleaming fingers
Glistening with the slime your kind prize it for.
Growing swift. Almost a meter long now. A rope of muscle with two long sinewed arms.
It's head unfurls. Death in bloom. Circular mouths, ringed with razor teeth.
Long black tongues, licking the air as it trembles with anticipation.

Gemina by Amie Kaufman

message 38: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 2656 comments Ooh!

message 39: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

It's very, very good!

message 40: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 2656 comments Excellent!

message 41: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5894 comments I keep seeing these post on Wednesday, way to late!

message 42: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5647 comments Marianne wrote: "I keep seeing these post on Wednesday, way to late!"

Phrynne wrote: "It's very, very good!"

That's it! I'm looking for a copy of Illuminae this weekend! I want the real book not the kindle.

message 43: by Carolyn (last edited Nov 01, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Carolyn | 5647 comments Marianne wrote: "I keep seeing these post on Wednesday, way to late!"

You could probably just sneak one in late. Afterall it's still Tuesday on the other side of the worlld!

message 44: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Marianne wrote: "I keep seeing these post on Wednesday, way to late!"

You could probably just sneak one in late. Afterall it's still Tuesday on the other side of the worlld!"

Or mark it in your diary for next Tuesday. See if you can be first:)

message 45: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5894 comments Phrynne wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Marianne wrote: "I keep seeing these post on Wednesday, way to late!"

You could probably just sneak one in late. Afterall it's still Tuesday on the other side of the worlld!"

Or mark it in your diary for next Tuesday. See if you can be first:)
"

Now that's good thinking, 99

message 46: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Lol!!!

message 47: by Sally906, the traveller (new)

OOOp - sorry folks - I'm a baaaaad thread starter!!!

My only defence is I've had a crashing headache for two days and have just been popping off and on and not really communicating.

The Tuesday teaser can be posted whenever your part of the world reaches Tuesday.

But - I do have a Tuesday teaser (or did have) - it is from Magic by Danielle Steel Magic by Danielle Steel and here it is:

"Anya fell asleep that night sitting next to him, in the hum of the of the incubaters and the beeping of the monitors, and wih Anya's head on his shoulder, the last thing on his mind was Benedetta, For now at least, in the universe of love and terror he had been catapaulted into, hiswife had ceased to exist. Anya was his parter now, the mother of his twins"

message 48: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (BtheBookAddict) | 3309 comments Loving this thread:)

message 49: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You'll have to add to it next Tuesday Bette :)

message 50: by Carolyn (last edited Nov 07, 2016 04:05PM) (new)

Carolyn | 5647 comments It's Tuesday again, so here's my teaser from muy current read, The Lake House The Lake House by Kate Morton by Kate Morton

" There was no reason she should be here today. A trespassing charge was the last thing she needed. But even as she thought it, Sadie knew she was speculating unnecessarily. The house before her was deserted. It was hard to put into words, but there was a look about it, an aura it gave off. She just knew."

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24