The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] F2F60 & Christmas Party | What Light by Jay Asher | TFG Celebrates Romantic Christmas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Oct 18, 2016 12:22AM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Hello, lovelies!

So for the past few years we had different themes for our Christmas Party such as: Children's Party, Harry Potter-inspired Party, Shakespearean Christmas and Poets on Christmas. This year we will be celebrating a romantic Christmas because it feels good to be in love on Christmas season, aye?

We will be discussing Jay Asher's What Light published by Penguin Random House. It will be released this October. I will give an update as soon as it hits our local bookstores.

GENERAL DETAILS:

Date and Time: December 10th, 2016; 2pm
Venue: The Usual Party Place, New Manila, Quezon City (PM me for details)
Theme: TFG Celebrates Romantic Christmas
Dress Code: Holiday Date Night (Specifically bright colors like red, pink, white and blue)
Registration Fee: TBD

FOOD:

We will the do the usual potluck. The attendees will be divided into food groups. Further instructions to be announced my Monique and Maria

DRESS CODE:

Holiday Date Night! Be in your best attire, be attractive and be bright. Depending on the number of attendees, we might be awarding some sort of Prom King & Queen or Most Desirable Dater(s) (We haven't thought about the title through yet) and win prizes!

CHRISTMAS MAILBAGS (OR MAILBOX)

Our annual tradition may getting a revamp this year. Instead of having our usual mailbags, we will have mailboxes. Prepare those souvenirs, cards and candies you will be giving away! :)

EXCHANGE GIFT

Romance in this modern era usually involves a lot of online stalking. You will need to stalk your Christmas babes this time because our exchange gift will again be stuff that you think your Christmas babe will love. However, there will be a twist this year. It's fun when the love you received is returned, right? The Christmas babes also needs to prepare a small token of appreciation to whoever will giving them gift.

For example, my Christmas babe is Monique. I will be giving her a funko pop figure of Joy because she loves Inside Out and she likes to be happy. To show her gratitude and although my identity is secret to her, Monique will then give me a Hogwarts logo keychain. (view spoiler)

No books allowed for exchange gifts! Be a very thorough stalker, you guys! :D

REGISTRATION

P200 - P300 depending on the head count

This will cover the rent for the place and miscellany.

RSVP!!!

First order of business is getting a headcount for attendance and our annual Exchange. We are curating a playlist for the event so help us do that.

If you are attending the party, comment below ONE romantic Christmas song.

If you are attending the party AND joining the exchange gift, comment below a romantic Christmas song AND a quote or dialogue from your favorite romantic film.

No repetition of the songs and films already mentioned.

Please rsvp on or before November 9th. Exchange gift babes assignment will be given on November 10th.

TA!

message 2: by Monique (last edited Oct 18, 2016 12:21AM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments 1. "Merry Christmas, Darling" by The Carpenters

2. "Peter once asked me when I fell in love with Jack. And I told him, 'It was while you were sleeping.'"
- While You Were Sleeping (1995)

"What Light" is released today, Oct. 18! Updates later. :)

message 3: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Oct 18, 2016 12:16AM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Last Christmas by Carly Rae Jepsen

"But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you.
Not even close,
Not even a little bit,
Not even at all.
- 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

message 4: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Baby It's Cold Outside by Louis Armstrong

“The only way you can beat my crazy was by doing something crazy yourself. Thank you. I love you. I knew it the minute I met you. I’m sorry it took so long for me to catch up. I just got stuck.”
—Pat, The Silver Linings Playbook

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 734 comments Let It Snow - Michael Bublé

"It was like, in that moment, the whole universe existed to bring us together."
- Serendipity (2001)

message 6: by Angus (last edited Oct 18, 2016 02:33AM) (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments All I Want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

message 7: by Bennard (new)

Bennard | 730 comments Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight) - The Ramones

"I never wanted to be away from her. She had the spark of life."
- Away from Her (2006)

message 8: by Mawi (new)

Mawi | 145 comments Please Come Home For Christmas - Eagles (Christina Perri's version is nice, too)

"Without you, today's emotions would be the scurf of yesterday's."
- Amelie (2001)

message 9: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (itslainee) | 226 comments I'll be Home for Christmas - Michael Buble

"Things don't have to be extraordinary to be beautiful. Even the ordinary can be beautiful."
- Wicker Park, 2004

message 10: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Santa Baby - Taylor Swift version :D

"I just... I just woke up one day and I knew. (Knew what?) What I was never sure of with you."
- (500) Days of Summer

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Last Christmas - Wham!

"May you never steal, lie, or cheat, but if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows, and if you must lie, lie with me all the nights of my life, and if you must cheat, then please cheat death because I couldn't live a day without you."

- Leap Year, 2010

message 12: by Rhena (new)

Rhena | 97 comments Pasko Na, Sinta Ko – Gary Valenciano

"Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss; but every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and once you do, nothing will ever compare."
—Flipped, 2010

message 13: by Ingrid (last edited Nov 07, 2016 03:02PM) (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Wonderful Christmas Time - The Beatles

"OO NA! AKO NA! AKO NA ANG MAG-ISA!" (English Only, Please, 2014)

message 14: by JL (new)

JL Torres (jltorres) | 137 comments Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Michael Buble

* I miss you guys! I hope it's ok to come even if I haven't been attending the F2Fs this year. Can I bring along Harlene and baby Mithi? I also won't be joining the exchange gift.

message 15: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments JL wrote: "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Michael Buble

* I miss you guys! I hope it's ok to come even if I haven't been attending the F2Fs this year. Can I bring along Harlene and baby Mithi? I al..."

JL! Bawal ka pumunta kapag wala sina Harlene and Mithi. :P

message 16: by Joy (last edited Nov 09, 2016 06:04PM) (new)

Joy (joyabundo) | 80 comments Sana Ngayong Pasko — Lea Salonga

"But the heart's not like a box that gets filled up. It expands in size the more you love."

—Her, 2013

message 18: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments may I just show up when able?
I do not know when I will be free. I so terribly miss you guys. Hate to admit it, but I am really, really sad these days. I miss warm people, miss the company of you all...I miss talking about weird stuff, happy stuff, bookish stuff and just everything...
I miss being happy...I want hugs...

message 19: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Ranee wrote: "may I just show up when able?
I do not know when I will be free. I so terribly miss you guys. Hate to admit it, but I am really, really sad these days. I miss warm people, miss the company of you a..."

Hi Ranee, you know that you can always just show up, you don't even have to ask! We miss you, too. It's time for some catching up. :)

message 20: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Nov 10, 2016 11:54PM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments 11: 11!

Make a wish, lovelies! :)

The exchange gift babes assignment has been drawn. Please check your emails for your baby assignments. I used the following email address. Message me wherever if you've received yours. THANKS!

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments ^got it!

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 734 comments Yep, me too!

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 734 comments Ranee, hope you can make it. It would be great to see you again. :)

message 24: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Got mine, too! Are you sure you don't know who our babies are??

message 25: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments I have no idea at all. The masterlist is also emailed to me but I'm leaving it unopened until the 10th.

message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Monique wrote: "Got mine, too! Are you sure you don't know who our babies are??"

How suspicious you are! Hahahaha

message 27: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Got mine too.

message 28: by Mawi (new)

Mawi | 145 comments Got mine, too! :D

message 29: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Received mine!

Ranee: Drop by! Let's push each other to the pool para hugs tayong lahat sa ginaw. ;)

message 30: by Marie (new)

Marie | 295 comments Can I still join, or is it too late na? :-(

message 31: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments You can still join, Marie. But not the exchange gift na siguro. :)

message 32: by Marie (new)

Marie | 295 comments Okay. :-)

message 33: by Monique (last edited Nov 22, 2016 03:42PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Good morning, folks! We just wrapped up our November F2F over the weekend (good job, Tintin and Meliza!), which means it's time for our December F2F + Christmas party planning! Is it beginning to look a lot like Christmas? :D

For those of you who don't know yet, our December book is Jay Asher's What Light, released only last October by Penguin Random House. I've seen a lot of copies at local bookstores so getting one should not be a problem. :)

Anyway, we'll be discussing the book on our Christmas Party, December 10. If you've read it already, good job! If you haven't, you still have 3 weeks to do so. Your TFG mods will be taking turns moderating the online discussion. Here's our suggested reading plan:

Week 1 (Nov. 20-26) - Chapters 1-8 (Monique)
Week 2 (Nov. 27-Dec. 3) - Chapters 9-16 (Angus)
Week 3 (Dec. 4-10) - Chapters 17-24 (Aaron)

Questions will be based on these chapters for the week. Happy reading! :)

message 34: by Marie (last edited Nov 21, 2016 01:53AM) (new)

Marie | 295 comments My Christmas song: Kumukutkutitap by Ryan Cayabyab :-)

Sorry, my bad! Just checked my schedule, and I have classes pala the entire day up to 7pm. Medyo nakakahiya na to come that late. Sayang, but I can't attend pala. Have fun na lang, you guys!

Since I got a copy of the book already, I will just try my best to be active in the online discussion.

Pasensya na sa abala.

message 35: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments I cannot come, (view spoiler) and I won't be able to participate in the gift-giving (view spoiler) so I hopefully contribute happy wishes by participating in an online discussion.

Happy Christmas, guys! :)

message 36: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Week 1: Chapters 1-8

1. Sierra's family has been spending their holidays away from home every year since she was little. Have you (and/or your family) ever had to spend the holidays, or celebrate it, away from home? Tell us about it.

2. Because of how they spend their holidays, Sierra's family has certain traditions. Tell us about your favorite family tradition during the holidays.

3. When Sierra meets up with Heather, her best friend from California, Heather talks about Sierra dating someone while there. Sierra deflects the idea, for obvious reasons. Would you consider what Sierra called "expiration dating," i.e., dating someone knowing that, at a definite time (like a month), you'd be separating and/or dumping him/her anyway? What exactly would a "holiday love affair" entail?

4. What would you do if you hear a rumor about someone you're interested in?

5. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Is your tree up? Show everyone, please. :)

message 37: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Week 1: Chapters 1-8
(view spoiler)

message 38: by Marie (new)

Marie | 295 comments Week 1: Chapters 1-8
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Bennard (new)

Bennard | 730 comments Week 1: Chapters 1-8
(view spoiler)

message 40: by twstrfries (new)

twstrfries | 231 comments The Christmas Song by Pentatonix

Pwede pa bang humabol? Paramdam after a year of not seeing you guys! Is it okay if I’ll bring my daughter with me? I miss you guys. See you soon, kung pwede paaaa! :)

Week 1: Chapter 1 – 8

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 734 comments Week 1: Chapter 1 – 8
(view spoiler)

message 42: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Week 1: Chapters 1-8
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Week 2: Chapters 9-16

1. Do you like dimples? Are they cute or are they muscular deformities?

2. Do you think Jeremiah is worth calling a best friend? What do you think of his dilemma?

3. Is Sierra in a position to stand up for Caleb? This is particularly about the confrontation with the Moore family.

4. What do you think of Sierra's decision to stay in California to spend the weekend with Caleb instead of taking the train back to Oregon to catch her friend's performance in a play?

5. We need more Christmas trees! Share a picture of the first Christmas tree (of any kind) that you see outside your home.

message 44: by Monique (last edited Nov 27, 2016 06:28PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Week 2: Chapters 9-16

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Week 2: Chapters 9-16
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Week 1: Chapters 1-8

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 734 comments Week 2: Chapters 9-16
(view spoiler)

message 48: by Marie (new)

Marie | 295 comments Week 2: Chapters 9-16
(view spoiler)

message 49: by Bennard (new)

Bennard | 730 comments Hello guys! We will be having a post-F2F activity this Tenth of December (awesome book). It is similar to last year's (?) massacre theater but we will use dialogues from movies this time. Here are the mechanics:

1. Each participant will bring a dialogue to the Christmas Party (please bring two copies: one for you and the other one for your partner.) The source of the dialogue should be a film about love and it should cover one of the many stages of love (infatuation, flirting, courtship, sex, breakup, proposal, argument etc.)

2. Your reading partner will be determined by chance. You will be asked to randomly choose between two lots. Choosing one will mean that you will be the one who will choose your partner, choosing the other will mean that TFG will be the one who will choose.

3. Perform the dialogue with your partner.

That's about it! Feel free to ask me or Aaron questions!

message 50: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments How long should the dialogue be? Should it come from a Christmas movie or basta a film lang about love?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.