archives > Midnight's Children- Salman Rushdie February 2017

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 707 comments Mod
Reddragon this is your book choice.

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Okay will be getting this ready for my next read.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments 5 star read, highly recommended.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Doesn't start out as an easy read. Interesting though so far.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Okay second chapter flows better. Might have been a bad download so I might redo it and try again.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

It's a big book so might break it up.

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Going to read a different paper book as the kindle gives me a headache after so long. Love my kindle but can't read it as long as I would like. I will read the second part after. Cogheart seems an easy read for the break.

message 8: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) | 349 comments I read it on audiobook, it flowed well that way.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Yep when I re-downloaded it it was better. Must have corrupted the first time.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Okay did not enjoy this story at all. Chapters were too long. I'm not sure if I had a bad download or if the chapters were meant to be sometimes confusing with thoughts of the narrative mingling with what was being described. It could also be that I couldn't get into the story so found it hard to focus on the paragraphs. Often found myself reading over paragraphs as my mind just closed off to the story.
I have known friends that loved this story so hope I don't put off anyone reading this though as it's just my opinion.

message 11: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) | 349 comments I didnt really like it either, and had expected too as it is so well talked up. I couldnt get away with the weird magical bits. If it had just been a tale based in post independent india i would have bern much happier, so you are not alone!

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments It's not an easy read, and maybe it's a book that needs more than one read. I think it does capture the mysticism of India as well as the history.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Yep I will give the author another chance as there was some parts I liked.

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon I think because I am so far behind, I will try this on audio book. Not sure my daughter will appreciate it on the school run each morning.

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

I'm doing good this year and ahead but I know the games of thrones could throw me out later

message 16: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) | 349 comments Im doing ok this year, as recently some choices i had already done, but still have some from previous years to catch up on.

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Yep I got two from last year to squeeze in as well as last year's series to finish.

message 18: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) | 349 comments And as you said, game of thrones is a big commitment. I need a break between each one.

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments The film of this book is also worth watching.

message 20: by Jon (new)

Jon I might look for that, but think I will wait until I finish the book. I am more than half way into it.

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Are you listening to it on audio? Yes I prefer to read the book of something before the film. what do you think of the book so far?

message 22: by Jon (new)

Jon I started with the book, but switched to audio. I am loving it so far, it's a really intricate story, and he writes it in such a descriptive way. I am going to mark some passages for my daughter because she loves descriptive writing and I think she will appreciate it. The only thing is that you do have to pay attention to all the details, as he often relates passages to earlier bits in the book.

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments That's a lovely idea. I often say to my boys you need to read this book when you are....gives random age. My eldest is at uni now and we swap books, so my cup runneth over. 😃

message 24: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Quarrell | 261 comments Who reads the audio?

message 25: by Jon (new)

Jon I think it's Lyndham Gregory. I actually found it on YouTube. He has a wonderful way of telling a story, but it's almost 24 hours long. I find reading the book easier because you can pause and dwell when you need to.

message 26: by Jon (new)

Jon I have just finished this. Reverted back to the audio book, but it was really long. I loved how the story unfolded, but was expecting more of an ending. I think I might watch the film now to see if it compares.