Tiny Oranges Book Club discussion

Chapter 1 Questions > Spirituality

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Brené defines spirituality as "recognizing and celebrating that we are all inextricably connected to one another by a power greater than all of us, and that our connection to that power and to one another is grounded in love and belonging." How does that definition resonate with you, your religion or beliefs?

message 2: by Jen (last edited Oct 18, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
This past year with the cancer diagnosis and death of my beloved mother, I truly had a spiritual awakening. Instead of anger and turning away from God at the horror of our situation, I turned towards God, called on God and NEEDED God.

During this hard time, I witnessed, firsthand how Brene describes spirituality and what I feel was God-like love and connection by so many people in my life. The way people stepped up to be there for me, support me, love me, was truly Divine. People were there for me at the times I needed them, and it made me really believe in angels here on earth.

To me, nothing is more true to me than how she states it above, and self-awareness and growth is truly a spiritual journey. For me at least. And that I believe with my entire heart and soul that we are all here, connected in love by a higher power (which I call God) and here to love and support each other.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam | 3 comments I truly think that people that believe in this spiritual connection are also kinder and nicer people - they aren't living in a vacuum but know that we (and our actions) are all connected and affect each other.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "I truly think that people that believe in this spiritual connection are also kinder and nicer people - they aren't living in a vacuum but know that we (and our actions) are all connected and affect..."

Amen to that sister!

message 5: by Taite (new)

Taite (tbtravels) | 12 comments Jen, I'm so sorry you lost your mom this year. I watched via social media the love and strength your family showed through diagnosis, treatment, and ultimately her death. Your grace has been exquisite through it all.

During tough times I take comfort in the belief that even when our faith may be wavering, we can count on the faith of others to hold us up and get us through.

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 8 comments Ditto to Taite's wonderful words. Jen, you demonstrated how to be vulnerable with grace, from the moment you received your Mom's dreaded diagnosis, and you continue to inspire and motivate me with your courage!

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement...xoxoxox