Tiny Oranges Book Club discussion

Chapter 1 Questions > Courage is Contagious

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (last edited Oct 18, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Do you agree that courage is contagious? Has your experience being courageous or hearing of someone else's courage inspired you?

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
When someone is open with me, and courageous in sharing the good, the bad and the ugly, I immediately feel a human connection that just reinforces that it is OKAY to be courageous and share our true stories. So, yes, I really do feel courage is contagious.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam | 3 comments Absolutely! Observing someone who is making courageous choices and living fearlessly is very inspiring. I love that Brene talks a lot about the fact that courage is really being vulnerable to failure. If we knew we would succeed - its it really that courageous to try? The courage is in the not knowing but going for it anyway!

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "Absolutely! Observing someone who is making courageous choices and living fearlessly is very inspiring. I love that Brene talks a lot about the fact that courage is really being vulnerable to failu..."

I used this with my daughter earlier this month - told her that by being courageous and running for student council would inspire other kids. Win or lose in the end isn't the point, if we don' t have the courage to GO FOR IT, even if we might fail, we are missing out on so many things in life!

message 5: by Taite (new)

Taite (tbtravels) | 12 comments Jen wrote: "Do you agree that courage is contagious? Has your experience being courageous or hearing of someone else's courage inspired you?"

Yes, absolutely. My priest gave me this book after a discussion about our struggles with infertility. I've had recurrent miscarriages, as has his wife. After my last loss, I've had the mindset that I don't want to try again because of fear of losing another baby. Now they are pregnant and expecting a healthy baby. Their news definitely helped give me courage to even think about trying again.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Taite wrote: "Jen wrote: "Do you agree that courage is contagious? Has your experience being courageous or hearing of someone else's courage inspired you?"

Yes, absolutely. My priest gave me this book after a d..."

Oh Taite, I am so sorry to here about your journey with infertility. I can't imagine how difficult that would be, makes my heart hurt so much for you and your husband.

I truly am a believer in a Divine path for our lives, and how even the most painful experiences can bring us growth, especially spiritually. I will pray for you - and your courage as you weigh these hard decisions.

message 7: by Taite (new)

Taite (tbtravels) | 12 comments Jen wrote: "Taite wrote: "Jen wrote: "Do you agree that courage is contagious? Has your experience being courageous or hearing of someone else's courage inspired you?"

Yes, absolutely. My priest gave me this ..."

Thank you so much, Jen. It has been a hard road for sure but I agree with you 100%. Luckily, my husband and I have grown so much stronger through this process. This has been going on since our first few months of marriage so we have been tested from the start. I am grateful that it has brought us closer when it's so easy to drift apart through the grief and anger.

message 8: by Jen (last edited Oct 21, 2016 04:00PM) (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Taite wrote: "Jen wrote: "Taite wrote: "Jen wrote: "Do you agree that courage is contagious? Has your experience being courageous or hearing of someone else's courage inspired you?"

Yes, absolutely. My priest g..."

I feel like I should further explain my comment because it has been nagging at me. Nothing made my blood boil more than when someone told my mom being terminally ill with cancer was "God's plan". When I wrote the previous comment, I felt like my words "Divine plan" sounded a little bit like that, so I wanted to elaborate.

By Divine plan I mean that sometimes when we are the most broken and shattered beyond words, there is an opportunity to see things differently. Our interaction with this world is different. Our relationships with people are seen through new eyes. I feel that in this way, the pain we experience can also result in great spiritual growth.

With my mom's death, I have grown in such a way that I feel like there is a new purpose for my life, and I am living more fully as a result. I wonder sometimes, no, I don't wonder, I actually KNOW deep down that her death at this time in my life now is part of a larger Divine plan. I don't know why. I won't know why. I hope someday to know why. But I feel like there is a why.

That doesn't change the fact that I would give anything in this world to have her back here. But I do trust that this pain I am experiencing is not for nothing. I hope that makes sense.

To hear that your combined pain has made your marriage stronger is such a gift. To establish this strength as a couple so early on in your relationship is truly something amazing. Praying for you Taite!!!