Tiny Oranges Book Club discussion

Chapter 1 Questions > In the Arena

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Brené talks about putting ourselves in the arena, to be vulnerable and have the courage to show up when we have no control of the outcome. How did this resonate with you? Did certain areas of your life come to mind where you would like to practice having more courage or showing more vulnerability?

message 2: by Christie (new)

Christie (christievalenzona) | 8 comments Yes! This was very powerful for me and resonated very much. Late last year I made a huge decision to leave an unfulfilling, yet high-paying job, to go into a non-profit job with less income, but more purpose and meaning. I felt incredibly vulnerable, stepping out in faith, with no idea what the future would hold. It turns out that being vulnerable opened me up to blessings I never would have experienced.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Christie wrote: "Yes! This was very powerful for me and resonated very much. Late last year I made a huge decision to leave an unfulfilling, yet high-paying job, to go into a non-profit job with less income, but mo..."

I love that Christie. If we don't have the courage to fail, we don't know where we might be missing out on our life's path. Fear is so paralyzing. Vulnerability can open so many new doors. Congratulations on your new job!!!!!

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie Kendall McCunniff | 6 comments A favorite line of mine so far is:
"If you're not in the arena getting your ass kicked, I'm not interested in your feedback."
In other words, we have to work on being "selective about the feedback we let into our lives."
If someone cannot relate to your struggles, it is difficult for them to be able to give you meaningful feedback.
As we age, I think finding those precious people is so comforting!
And, you only discover that someone is that person for you IF you show vulnerability.
I am working on letting more people "in". There are a lot of badasses out there! They are such a source of inspiration.

message 5: by Taite (new)

Taite (tbtravels) | 12 comments Angie wrote: "A favorite line of mine so far is:
"If you're not in the arena getting your ass kicked, I'm not interested in your feedback."
In other words, we have to work on being "selective about the feedback ..."

This is definitely one of my favorite quotes too.

message 6: by Taite (new)

Taite (tbtravels) | 12 comments Jen wrote: "Brené talks about putting ourselves in the arena, to be vulnerable and have the courage to show up when we have no control of the outcome. How did this resonate with you? Did certain areas of your ..."

Yes, this definitely hits home in a lot of ways, personally, and professionally. We have had some major business decisions this year that meant we needed to take some uncomfortable risks. It was scary with such outcome uncertain. I work with my husband so this impacts our business and family at the same time. We had to lean on each other a lot so when one of us was weak the other had to be strong. It's difficult but continue to have to be vulnerable, take risks, and have courage!

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Mod
Taite wrote: "Angie wrote: "A favorite line of mine so far is:
In other words, we have to work on being "selective about..."

AGREE. I want to use that as my life mantra!