Play Book Tag discussion

The Lady Elizabeth
This topic is about The Lady Elizabeth
October 2016: Historical Fiction > The Lady Elizabeth / Alison Weir. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8129 comments This fictional account covers Elizabeth I’s life from the time her mother, Anne Boleyn, is killed up to when she becomes queen.

I do like Alison Weir. This may be the highest I've rated a book about Elizabeth I; I usually don't find her quite as interesting as some of the other Tudors. Surprisingly enough, historian Weir does admit (in a Q&A at the end) to taking a big step away from what she believes really happened in one part of the book, but she said she was enjoying the liberty of it being fiction and decided to go with - what if...? I don’t think that “what if” pushed the book to 4 stars for me, though. The book was already there and remained there throughout. I’ve been meaning to read this for years and I’m glad I finally have! For those who want more factual historical fiction, this may not be the one for you, but I really liked this one!

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6928 comments Glad you finally found one about her you liked this much.

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Me, too! If Weir writes a sequel, I'll plan to read it, as well!

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I love Allison Weir, both her HF and her NF!

However, I was really uncomfortable with a choice she made in regards to Elizabeth's relationship with Seymor. At least she included an author's note. When an author does that with an over the top choice I can let it slide, after all it is fiction. So, it didn't impact my rating. But, it just didn't set well with me. The story was really well developed though.

message 5: by Ladyslott (new) - added it

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I have had this book forever, but I have had issues with Weir's choices in the past, so I keep putting it off, but I may need to read it now. Although it won't be for this months's tag since I am on my 3rd HF book for the month.

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Regina, I read your review after. I also always appreciate the author's notes at the end. But, I figure it's fiction, so I was mostly ok with it.

Linda, I'm wondering if you might have trouble with her choice in this one, give that there are others you've had issues with, as well. At the same time, it might be worth giving it a try (especially if you've been meaning to for a while). I've had the book for years, but my hesitation in reading it was the fact that I usually don't find Elizabeth as interesting as many of the other Tudors.

I am listening to another HF right now, but I just started it and I don't know if I'll finish before the end of the month. I have many others piled up, but with other books for other challenges also lined up... Oh! And currently trying to get through The Sunne In Splendour (900 and some pages!), not sure I'll get to any others!