Schlafly Global Book Discussion Group discussion

Fresh Air interview with Viet Thanh Nguyen

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's an interesting spoiler free interview with Nguyen and Terry Gross. You get the sense that this is a deeply personal book for him. The war informed every part of his family's upbringing, and his coming to terms with his race in post-war America is a thread that runs through both the novel and his life.

message 2: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments Incredibly enlightening, tho' full of painful truths for an Amer. of my generation, raised to believe the U.S. only acts out of the noblest intentions, and to trust the government (what a concept!). He is so right about us and our venal self-justifications, and unfailing belief in America's right to interfere in other countries' affairs. I tutor ESL, and one if my students is an older N. Vietnamese, who lived in Bulgaria as a young adult (one of the Communist countries a N. Viet student could go abroad to study in), then Japan, Australia, and finally the US when his wife was transferred here for work. He bore no grudge against Americans, but did correct me gently once when I referred to "the Vietnamese War".

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

> but did correct me gently once when I referred to "the Vietnamese War".

I'm embarrassed to admit this hasn't occurred to me. How is it known locally?

message 4: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments The American War, of course.

message 5: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy   (doky) | 17 comments A truly excellent book we highly recommend is: "The Lotus Eaters" by Tatiani Soli. Told from the perspective of a young female American photographer, this book places you squarely in the experience of the war years from all perspectives - and with accurate sensual and military details and compelling human characters.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucy: Of course it is. I don't know what I was thinking.

Dorothy: Thanks for the recommendation. I might add that to our next rotation.

message 7: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments Travis and all -
I won't be able to be at Thursday's discussion (much stress from family issues, last stages of restoring my house after a plumbing break Aug. 1 (!!), two sets of guests arriving in November, yard work that has caused me to hurt my back, and $ issues, all combining to make this the month something has to go, and the book discussion is unfortunately it). Sorry for the T.M.I., and really sorry not to be there to join in what is always a great discussion. See you all next month!
P.S. Can someone volunteer to pick Donna up and take her home after?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucy, I'm sorry to hear this but it's perfectly understandable. I'll track down Donna's phone number. I think Cara and I should be able to take care of it.

message 9: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy   (doky) | 17 comments Lucy wrote: "Travis and all -
I won't be able to be at Thursday's discussion (much stress from family issues, last stages of restoring my house after a plumbing break Aug. 1 (!!), two sets of guests arriving in..."

Lucy,
I hope things fall into place and "normal" returns soon!
Dorothy