Play Book Tag discussion

October 2016: Historical Fiction > A Gentleman in Moscow / Amor Towles - 5 stars and a heart

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Oct 18, 2016 09:04AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments This is definitely one of my favorites of 2016 and very likely my favorite audio of the year too. The characters are all just wonderful. The story is so believable and yet quite fantastic.

The story starts right at the Russian Revolution. Count Rostov has been arrested, they can't quite understand why he has come back from Paris at this time. When asked where he was living, he tells them he's at the Metropol Hotel. They decide he will stay there, but not in his fancy room, they move him to the sixth floor to a tiny room that was used for storage.

The Count (and he's pretty much always called that) is an intelligent and quite resourceful man. That doesn't mean he doesn't get discouraged. He lives his whole life there, makes friends, creates a job for himself and avoids getting in trouble but he does have adventures. The ending is wonderful. Did I mention that the characters are just terrific?

Loved it, loved it, loved it and the audio makes it even better.

message 2: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Yay! If you loved this and haven't read Rules of Civility you should give it a go. It's very different but a wonderful book.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 783 comments I loved both a Gentleman in Moscow and Rules of Civility!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I've just picked this back up and I'm enjoying it a lot more this time. I must have been in the wrong head space the first time around.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments Knew it! On chapter one myself!

message 6: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments The ending was wonderful! Often a good book is destroyed by the ending, but....WOW!

message 7: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Regina wrote: "The ending was wonderful! Often a good book is destroyed by the ending, but....WOW!"

I loved the ending, especially the last few sentences.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments One thing I have been thinking about the monthly tags, is that it would be also interesting to know how many people read the same book, if it was like over ten. Like how many of us read Gentleman, Frankenstein, or to the Bright Edge of the World. I would sort of like to know.... I am really enjoying Gentleman, but I haven't gotten very far because I am busier in Florida than I thought I would be. Lots of sights to see and good times.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Tunis (suetu) | 23 comments Count me among the fans of this novel! It will definitely make my top 10 of the year, and truly is near the very top of my list. I'm in complete agreement about the ending. I've been describing it to customers as, "a joyful reading experience."

I was fortunate enough to attend a cocktail party in honor of Mr. Towles earlier this year. I am happy to report that he's an absolutely lovely man!

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments Susan wrote: "Count me among the fans of this novel! It will definitely make my top 10 of the year, and truly is near the very top of my list. I'm in complete agreement about the ending. I've been describing it ..."

So neat to hear the author is a great guy - - because that is what I envision when I read his writing. I'm in the middle of this book right now and really enjoying it . . .nice to hear it is making the top 10 of a person who I knew reads a lot!