SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Around Goodreads & the WWW > NYT's "A detailed guide for borrowing library books on your phone and tablet"

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28457 comments Ever wonder, "How do I check out library e-books to use on my Kindle?" The New York Times answers that question here.

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Oct 18, 2016 10:52AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 1902 comments While the ebooks automatically return themselves when borrow expires, if you finish early, you can return early. Just a wee courtesy to other readers who might be on a waitlist/hold for the book.

If reading on kindle or kindle app, go to your account on Amazon and "manage content" to return the book early. If using the overdrive app* return is a menu choice right in the app.

*Many phones and tablets will also use the overdrive app to borrow ebooks (don't have to be read in the kindle app and not all ebooks in the overdrive ebook library have a kindle version).

ETA: if borrowing to other ereaders, apps or devices (particularly if the ePub versions like nook uses) goes through the free Adobe Digital Editions software, so does the return. Meaning first return the borrow to ADE and then from within ADE to the library.

Not every book in overdrive has a kindle edition available. Some publishers require connecting a physical kindle device via USB in order to borrow their books on kindle.

I love my nook, but it is an extra step to borrow through ADE. Don't get me wrong, ADE works great and is quick and easy once you've used once or twice (no more effort than clicking in your library to borrow a kindle version which sends your borrow to Amazon.com instead of ADE except that I can get to Amazon website from more devices).

My library recently made a lot of magazines/periodicals available to borrow for nook but not for kindle.

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28457 comments Very helpful points, Debbie. Thanks!

I always return when done, no matter return date. So, I didn't realize it auto-returned. I'd actually wondered if they'd charge me for having out too long, if that occurred.

I like using library for downloading free audiobooks too :) And, I typically do all library borrowing thru Overdrive.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Steph wrote: "I always return when done, no matter return date.."

Me too! I would want people to return their books ASAP for me so I'm more than happy to do it for them :0)

Steph wrote: "I like using library for downloading free audiobooks too :) And, I typically do all library borrowing thru Overdrive."

I did this too at first, but I prefer the Kindle app (love the new font) and so I select that version when downloading. I also prefer my audiobook player which has more speeds than the Overdrive app so I download it to my Mac and then upload to my iPod.

message 5: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28457 comments I've used the kindle app and prefer it too. :)