World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Between May - October 2016: self-published book market share drops dramatically

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Oct 17, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Alex (asato) The latest October 2016 authorearnings report (which crunches 1 million Amazon titles) reported the following:
"In May 2016, verified self-published indie authors were taking home nearly 50% of all US Kindle author earnings. Now, as of early October 2016, the indie share has fallen below 40%."
http://authorearnings.com/report/octo...

message 2: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I wonder if they have moved to other platforms?

message 3: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Interesting. I guess we better get on that :).

message 4: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Uncategorised, single author publishers has increased between May and October.

(That's my category)

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments I think these figures probably merit careful examination. For a start, they could reflect not numbers sold, but an increasing price differential between indie and traditional authors. Also, Graeme is probably right, because I understand that some authors are indeed moving away from exclusive Kindle distribution and doing more business with other providers. In my case I always have, but I've also noticed that the share of sales coming from non-Amazon distributors (B&N and especially iBooks) has been climbing, though it remains very small.

message 6: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments I just noticed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on Kindle Unlimited. It's not exclusive with Amazon either.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Fattorosi | 477 comments Yay ! Just in time for the release of my first novel...

message 8: by Tara Woods Turner (last edited Oct 17, 2016 03:21PM) (new)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments It seems both sales and earnings have dropped for indies. Big 5 took hits as well, especially among debut writers. Surprisingly, small to medium range pubs showed the most growth. The literary middle class is growing - I suspect this is due to lower overhead, higher risk tolerance and genre micro-niching.

message 9: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Tara,

What is genre micro-biching?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "Hi Tara,

What is genre micro-biching?"

Lol a typo. Either that or a Freudian slip. Corrected :)

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) I love those kinds of typos. Lol.

message 12: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Cheers. :-)

message 13: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments Hahaha. If a character in a book makes a Freudian slip, is there a need to edit that? Or would it be looked down upon and deemed as a careless typo.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Mehreen wrote: "Hahaha. If a character in a book makes a Freudian slip, is there a need to edit that? Or would it be looked down upon and deemed as a careless typo."

It would be okay if the author did it organic to the character - it would need to be acknowledged in some way and y s, it could be very clever!

message 15: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments Tara wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "Hahaha. If a character in a book makes a Freudian slip, is there a need to edit that? Or would it be looked down upon and deemed as a careless typo."

It would be okay if the author..."

Jacaranda Blues has a few Freudian slips. Critics thought they were typos! LOL!

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Mehreen
Maybe it could have been clearer but I'm tempted to say that sometimes people aren't very engaged or agile when they read literary fiction, which requires more subtlety than some genres. This is what makes it so rewarding.

message 17: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments Tara wrote: "Mehreen
Maybe it could have been clearer but I'm tempted to say that sometimes people aren't very engaged or agile when they read literary fiction, which requires more subtlety than some genres. Th..."

You maybe right. All my books are either stream of consciousness fiction or introspective. Characters are mostly "thinking aloud"if you know what I mean. That might be a bit hard to digest unless the reader is equally literary minded.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Mehreen wrote: "Tara wrote: "Mehreen
Maybe it could have been clearer but I'm tempted to say that sometimes people aren't very engaged or agile when they read literary fiction, which requires more subtlety than so..."

Judging by your reviews you've gotten your stories across very well, regardless.

message 19: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments Tara wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "Tara wrote: "Mehreen
Maybe it could have been clearer but I'm tempted to say that sometimes people aren't very engaged or agile when they read literary fiction, which requires more ..."

I should like to think so. Thanks to my reviewers.

message 20: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13817 comments A quick look at the charts, reflects a growth in 0.99 column along with substantial decrease in other major pricings : 2.99, 3.99, 4.99. Maybe the cheaper works and more expensive - not so much?

An interesting question is the conversion rate from indies to trad? If I were a publisher, I would try instead of sifting through lit agents, sign authors who sold in a reasonable/short period in excess of 1K copies as indies: that's already some sales record for the publisher and prospect to get books into physical stores for an indie...

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Nik wrote: "A quick look at the charts, reflects a growth in 0.99 column along with substantial decrease in other major pricings : 2.99, 3.99, 4.99. Maybe the cheaper works and more expensive - not so much?

A..."

I agree. One problem lies in the fact that trad pubs want exclusivity and many indies are holding their ground and refussing to only sign print and audio rights away hile retaining digital. Indie Hugh Howie was one of the first to negotiate this into his contract and it was a big deal at the time.