Reading the Detectives discussion

General chat > TV programmes about Golden Age detectives

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8606 comments Mod
Sorry for the very short notice, but for those in the UK I've just noticed that there is a programme about Agatha Christie and the Golden Age of detective fiction on BBC4 at 9pm tonight - the first in a new series called 'Sleuths, Spies and Sorcerers: Andrew Marr's Paperback Heroes. '

The first programme is all about sleuths. Anthony Horowitz will feature and it includes profiles of Dashiell Hammett and Ruth Rendell. It's due to be repeated at 10pm on Wednesday and there is also a signed repeat at 2.50am tomorrow.

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 312 comments Thanks for that info Judy - I'd actually just set the recorder for the 2.50am repeat not realising it was signed. So I've reset it just in time!

message 3: by Judy (new)

Glad it was useful, Ruth - I only found out about it when I had a look at the Radio Times!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9637 comments Mod
I think that I posted about it a few days ago, but not sure on which thread. Sorry if anyone missed that. I haven't seen it yet, as it was parents evening yesterday, but looking forward to it.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Sorry, Susan, I'd seen your posting but then somehow forgot about it! I should have made a note right then and there. :) Anyway it was an interesting programme but covered rather a lot in an hour!

message 6: by Susan (new)

I think I posted it when I saw it, so I should have posted a reminder anyway. I haven't seen it yet, but I must say it must be hard to cover such a huge subject in one hour...

message 7: by Judy (last edited Jan 08, 2017 02:47AM) (new)

Sorry to be late in flagging this one up, but my family suddenly noticed last night that Channel 4 had a programme on called Britain's Favourite TV Detectives. It included a lot about various Agatha Christie adaptations and Sherlock Holmes.

I found it quite interesting but thought they missed a lot of good shows out and spent too much time recapping on what they had just said and saying what they were going to say next, before and after every ad break!

If anyone in the UK missed it and would like to see it, it is being repeated today at 6.30pm on 4seven if you have that channel, and I expect is also on catchup.

message 8: by Susan (last edited Jan 08, 2017 02:51AM) (new)

I caught the end of the programme last night, Judy. Thanks for mentioning it as I will record it to watch later. I can then fast forward the recaps!

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Not being in the UK I missed that, darn it. Well, maybe it will show up on YouTube in the near future. Sounds interesting.

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Do we also want to mention tv programs based on the detective of a famous GA author?

message 11: by Susan (new)

I think so, Jill, yes. Anything that members of the group might be interested in is fine.

message 12: by Judy (new)

There is also another thread where we've had some discussion in the past about TV adaptations, if you want to take a look, Jill:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Thanks, Judy.....I overlooked that thread.