Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > Nov/Dec (2016) book! Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou

Comments Showing 1-50 of 245 (245 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Watson (emmawatsonbookclub) | 49 comments Mod
Dear Our Shared Shelf,

November and December’s book will be Mom & Me & Mom, Maya Angelou’s final work, published a year before her death, in 2013, when she was 85 years old. It was the first book to focus on her mother, Vivian Baxter, who abandoned Angelou when she was a child and it portrays their complicated relationship. The story is about the special connection between mother and child; both women found a way to move on and form a profound and enduring bond of love and support.

Many of you may be familiar with Angelou’s 1969 classic, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, but that was just the first of seven works of autobiography. And, despite the length of time between their publications, some have referred to Mom & Me & Mom as a spiritual sequel to this first book. Angelou revisits episodes and people in her life mentioned in her previous works in a different context and all focused around her relationship with her mother.

Vivian Baxter cuts a fiercely unapologetic figure, imperfect but admirable, and we discover not just how she had a hand in Angelou’s evolution as a black woman but also in her feminist perspective, her independence and self-awareness, all of which contributed to her unique way of looking at the world and the way she expressed herself on the page. As a result, this is perhaps the greatest window into what shaped Angelou as a writer and poet and a fitting end to a lifetime of amazing works.

This book is one I have read before and is one of my favourites - I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

Emma x

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Can't wait to form them Emma another interesting choice moving to the personal form the general again. Hmm perhaps I should refrain form analysis before I have read the book :)

message 3: by Nuria (new)

Nuria | 1 comments It seems a great book, can't wait to read it! Thank you Emma :)

message 4: by Shana (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Awesome! This was one that I wanted to read from the poll we did. Look forward to reading it. Thanks Emma. :)

message 5: by Dagny Moland (new)

Dagny Moland Seim | 48 comments Love the book, but I am struggling with a reoccurring problem :( I just read it a few months ago, after it was one of the books we could vote for. I did the same with Half the Sky and have been eagerly awaiting the next book, hoping it would be one I hadn't read.

Could there possibly be some sort of suggestions for keen beans like myself of books that might explore or touch upon the subject matter in each book OSS reads?

Currently reading Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg, so this is me leaning in to OSS :)

For those who haven't read Mom & Me & Mom: treasure it like the beautiful gift it is.

Peace out from someone indulging in a feminist reading bonanza :)

message 6: by Sascha (new)

Sascha (smileylymie) | 14 comments Brilliant book! The story of Angelou's extraordinary life has been chronicled in her multiple bestselling autobiographies. In this book, Angelou shares the deepest personal story of her life: her relationship with her mother. I'm really looking froward to reading this again, as "Mom & Me & Mom" explores the healing and love that evolved between the two women over the course of their lives, the love that fostered Angelou's rise from immeasurable depths to reach impossible heights...I couldn't be more thrilled with this choice!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Periña | 67 comments Great choice! Can't wait to read it.

message 8: by Paige (new)

Paige | 48 comments Can't wait!

message 9: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments Awesome choice! I've read it as well but I cannot wait to revisit it!

Best,

Romina Xx

message 10: by Zayna (new)

Zayna Masri | 3 comments This sounds amazing love u emma

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert (robertgilescampbell) Awesome choice. I'm going to enjoy reading it I'm sure. :)

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 11 comments I'm looking forward to this book. It's been years since I've read anything by her.

message 13: by Genny (new)

Genny Pisano | 21 comments Very very good, appreciated choice!
As a figure I strongly admire, I'm quite excited to read this book!
Thank You!

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) Oh wow!
Maya Angelou is one of my most admired women.
One dreary winter I used to park my car in the weak sunlight at a local park. The car would heat up a little and I would read my way through all Maya Angelou's books. A lot of time has elapsed since then and this is the one book in the series I haven't read although I do own a copy.
Very much looking forward to reading it.

message 15: by love hurts (new)

love hurts  | 24 comments Looking forward to reading! Love u emma! Look up to you!

message 16: by Karina (new)

Karina Charris (kcharris) Unfortunately I cannot keep the pace of the group. I have a lot of problems to get the books delivered in Chile. For the previous one (half the sky) I'm still waiting for my copy, I'll be two months since I bought it. I'm so sad about this; but thank you for the suggestions; I enjoy the titles with two months delays.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Very excited to read it!

message 18: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Garcia (shawngie) | 6 comments ^

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Usmani | 5 comments Can't wait!!! I just put it on hold to pick up at the library tomorrow. :)

message 20: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Wow, I haven't finished Half the Sky yet, uni is giving me stress, and I still have to figure out how to do everything.

But I'm really looking forward to reading it. Maybe I can borrow it from the public library, or maybe even the university's library. I'll also look whether there's a German translation, although I do think there should be one. I must say I have never read any of the books of Angelou, but there's always a first time. Maybe she will become the third person, along with Emma and Gloria Steinem, then I could look up to three instead of two astonishing women.

Again, I must say OSS has become some sort of a refuge for me, and I'm glad to revisit all of you.

message 21: by Mahima (new)

Mahima Pradhan Looks like a very interesting read to me! Great!

message 22: by Simone (new)

Simone | 85 comments Finally!!!!!!!!!Can't wait to read this book!!!! Sounds great!!!!

message 23: by Helena (new)

Helena Altet | 5 comments Can't wait to read it!! :) I wanted to read it for a while so I'm so happy to read it now

message 24: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin | 25 comments Thank you, Emma! A new book. I'm so excited. :-)

message 25: by Parvanae (new)

Parvanae Abdi (emilyparvanae) I ordered my copy today! Quite excited to join in the conversation with you all!

message 26: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments Can't wait to read it!! Hi Emma
:)

message 27: by Malia (new)

Malia (maliawriter) | 1 comments Can't wait to read this one Emma :) xx

message 28: by Phyncke (new)

Phyncke | 8 comments I am excited for this one. I got the audible as it is narrated by the author and is very highly rated. I have not read much Maya Angelou and am really looking forward to reading this or listening to this. It is about 4 hours of listening for those who listen to audibles.

message 29: by Phyncke (new)

Phyncke | 8 comments Karina wrote: "Unfortunately I cannot keep the pace of the group. I have a lot of problems to get the books delivered in Chile. For the previous one (half the sky) I'm still waiting for my copy, I'll be two month..."

I have not been keeping pace but am jumping in with this one. I skipped a few books but am going to start with this selection. I think you can go at your own pace if you want to. No pressure!

message 30: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (cordeliareads) | 44 comments Mod
Exciting! A great choice :)

message 31: by Mafalda (new)

Mafalda Santos | 5 comments I'm very happy to have found OSS! This will be the first book I'll read since I joined the club :)
Although I've heard a lot about Angelou, I've never read any of her books. So, this shall be fun!!!
A hug from Portugal!

message 32: by Tara (new)

Tara Corallino | 5 comments Became a huge fan of Maya Angelou with 'Caged Bird' in high school and have read much of her work but not this. I'm expecting a bit of an emotional ride with this one but I know it will be so well worth it. Great pick!

message 33: by Belle (new)

Belle (nadala) | 1 comments Looking forward to reading this :)

message 34: by Dania (new)

Dania Nasca Emma wrote: "Dear Our Shared Shelf,

November and December’s book will be Mom & Me & Mom, Maya Angelou’s final work, published a year before her death, in 2013, when she was 85 years old. It was the first book..."

I haven't read this book, but I read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. Great book.

message 35: by Dania (new)

Dania Nasca I haven't read this book, but I read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. Great book.

message 36: by Emi (new)

Emi | 1 comments This is my first time reading in this group and also first time reading Angelou's book in English. Looking forward to it!

message 37: by Ally (new)

Ally (allshootingstar) I'm excited about this one! Thanks!

message 38: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Kimberley Hepburn | 2 comments Excellent choice, Maya Angelou is one of my feminist heroes. I have read the first 3 biographical books and loved her story. Will need to continue. Xx

message 39: by Hali (new)

Hali (dreamslikediamondss) | 12 comments I've never read any of Maya Angelou's work - although her books have been on my to-read list for some time - do people recommend reading the books that come before this one before reading "Mom & Me & Mom? If so, all of them - or just the first??

message 40: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Watts | 21 comments Sounds great :-) I'll try to read I know why the caged bird sings too (can't believe I never have).

message 41: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments It's available in the university's library in Austria but I haven't found copies in public libraries. (Although I do think that there should be some.)
I can't wait to read this book:)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, this book looks great! And in English, we have to choose an influential person and write an article about that person, and I chose you for my influential person. You've done so much for gender equality and equal rights. Keep up the amazing work Emma! (And here's the link to my article, if you would have the time to read it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_...) It would be so amazing if you could read it!! Keep being the amazing, powerful young woman you are.

message 43: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) | 64 comments I ordered it! Very excited to read it.

Question for those of you who have read Angelou's prose: Does this stand alone well, or should I read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings first? Emma said they're connected so I'm unsure. Thanks!

message 44: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (susanne1988) I have never read one of her books, but i'm so glad that you choose it. I can't wait to read this book and probably want to read other books of her afterwords. I haven't joined for the past few months, but i'm now completely back. I love how we now have two months to read a book.

message 45: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments I have ordered my copy. With the sad death of the author there will of course be no opportunity to intervew her so no Q & A this session. Unless Emma can find someone to speak for Angelou perhaps.

message 46: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie | 184 comments Meelie wrote: "*Whispers* I've never read Maya Angelou.... (Thankfully about to change, oops!)"

Oh, this is going to be fun, then! I've only read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings...and it's musical. I'm excited for you to experience her for the first time! :D

message 47: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments I already read the first two chapters and they make me want to read more. But first I better read stuff from my university courses. But it's a great book. I read it in English, which I really like, because I think that then you're way more connected to the author.

message 48: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Meelie, London meet up sounds interesting there are quite a few of us down here

message 49: by Riley (new)

Riley Thompson | 2 comments I'm looking forward to reading this book!

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (bonhomie-books) I just read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings last month (I believe or the beginning of October. LOVED IT). It was my first Maya book. So this comes right on time for me to jump into!

« previous 1 3 4 5