Women At Warp Book Club discussion

Purgatory's Key (Star Trek: Legacies #3)
This topic is about Purgatory's Key
Legacies > Book 3: Purgatory's Key

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue (spaltor) | 9 comments Mod
Discussion Thread for Book 3.

Jarrah (jarrahpenguin) | 34 comments Mod
Just finished. So I appreciate that the authors of book 3 were stuck with the most difficult leg of the story - basically we knew that there would be at least a partially successful rescue because we know Sarek and Gorkon don't die in canon - the only question was how that would happen. So unfortunately this was definitely the slowest book of the 3, and a lot of the padding was interesting but not strictly necessary - like the conflicts within and between the Klingon crews. At least, it was nice to see some significant Klingon women, including the lead scientist on the planet and the dishonoured commander, Visla.

What did people think about the twist on how the parallel universe worked? At first I was seriously unimpressed by the idea that they were all in a shared illusion - reminded me of the ending of Lost (grrrr) - but I kinda got into it once Sarek started bringing people's minds together. I found the description of the void and how Sarek, Gorkon and Una interacted with the others' minds actually quite touching. Totally shipping Sarek/Gorkon now.

message 3: by Kara (last edited Feb 23, 2017 07:28PM) (new)

Kara | 4 comments This book was so incredibly slow compared to the first two. It had many moments that felt as though the authors were just trying to demonstrate how intimately they understood the TOS crew - but at the same time, the characters felt flat and indistinguishable from one another, which was not the case at all with the first two books. There were paragraphs and paragraphs of internal reflection that were completely unnecessary (SO MUCH SPOCK AND CHEKOV). In the first two, the dialogue and action were paced well, and the authors trusted the readers to know the characters and intuit motivations/emotions/considerations based on the action and dialogue.
It was exhausting. I also felt like this book really did a disservice to Una. The book had a Spock/Kirk/Sarek focus (for the first half I was wondering where Uhura had disappeared to), and while the previous two books had strong opportunities and experiences for women, this book was about how the men were cleaning up Una's mess. And even at the end of it, Una can't accept the mission's success and continues to berate herself. Hunh? That does not seem like an accomplished, determined, creative Captain.
As far as the storyline, I was disappointed with an illusion/thoughtspace. I thought perhaps the key stored the bodies in the citadel and transferred consciousness to the illusion world. I'm not sure that would be any better. Also, what happened to those Klingons in the citadel? The whole Klingon issue seemed a lot less tense in this book, and a lot more contrived (she attacks the Enterprise twice? That's her great plan for regaining her honour? Also zero other Klingon women?).
Some moments were uncomfortable in this novel too relating to the indigneous community on Usildar. At the end, Kirk mentions their tranquil existence and innocence, and Sarek finds their "forgiveness" remarkable (although at odds with the first two books) - they all seem to patronizingly infantilize them.
I JUST finished this third book after several weeks procrastinating since it was such a drag. Can't wait to listen to the podcast!