Star Wars Bookworms Book Club discussion

Ahsoka - Oct 2016 > Spoiler filled discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron, Jedi Master (new)

Aaron Goins (avgoins) | 213 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have finished the book and don't want to tip-toe around spoilers

message 2: by Miroslav (new)

Miroslav  Kokeš | 1 comments OK, what do you think about what happened with the crystals?

message 3: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 24 comments With Ilum in-general? That sucked. Mining it for the Death Star most likely.

With the Inquisitor's lightsaber crystals? I liked it. The Force guiding Ahsoka to them. I would have like there to be a bit more effort to her cleaning/saving/altering the red crystals though.

I also thought her fight with the Inquisitor was too fast, and uh... how was she blocking his blows if she didn't have lightsabers yet? Were her bastons made of cortosis?

The book went fast. I was expecting it to cover a longer period. It started, what, a year after Order 66 on the first anniversary of Imperial Day, right? And the story covered maybe a few more months?

The Darth Maul intro was too quick, I wanted more of that story here.

The interludes were interesting - especially the one of Anakin just before Christophsis - I liked that one a lot. The Obi-Wan interlude didn't seem to fit in with the story, to me.

I was sad there was no mention of Ventress, even though she's already gone by this point in the timeline. I guess that would have been fan-pandering though. Though Kaeden telling Ahsoka she felt like she "could kiss you," probably was too.

I liked how Ahsoka snuck aboard Bail's ship the first time. And I liked her interaction with Artoo.

Overall - I enjoyed this book. Moreso than many of the new canon SW books - probably because I really like Ahsoka.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Reynolds | 1 comments I loved this book.

How Ahsoka got her crystals was pretty BA.

Btw, did anyone else get the vibe that Kaeden was attracted to Ahsoka long before she said "I could Kiss you"?

I was expecting this book to take place over a wider period of time it did so I'm glad that it wrapped up quickly to allow for more stories down the line.

I was surprised though that a year after ROTS inquisitors were already active like we see in Rebels.

The moment when Ahsoka caught up with R2 brought a warm feeling to my heart and a tear to my eye.

I enjoyed the interludes.

I hope we get more with Ahsoka before her Rebels appearance.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 1 comments SporadicReviews.com wrote: "With Ilum in-general? That sucked. Mining it for the Death Star most likely.

With the Inquisitor's lightsaber crystals? I liked it. The Force guiding Ahsoka to them. I would have like there to be ..."

In regards to the Inquisitors - feels like they were just starting to do their job and weren't too good at it yet. They mentioned him looking for force-sensitive children to corrupt, not kill. I think Ahsoka was just too powerful for him, she didnt even need a lightsaber.

This book was a bit underwhelming for me. I enjoyed it, but left me wanting a bit more. It was good to catch up with Ahsoka, but Im not sure it adds to the overall story of Star Wars, or makes anything more impactful.

message 6: by Dante (new)

Dante DeMille | 14 comments I went into this book ready to love it as much as Bloodline and Lost Stars since Ahsoka is one of my favorite SW characters. It didn't meet those expectations, but I still really enjoyed it and might put it in my top 5 from the new Canon.

My main issue was that there never seemed to be too much danger for Ahsoka other than perhaps the Black Sun sequence. This is all partly to be understood since Ahsoka was a top notch Jedi and should be able to handle herself well against these comparatively minor troubles.

Other issues I had but resolved were the quickness that the Stormtroopers and Inquisitors came onto the scene and the clones were left behind. I assumed it would take some time to get this going, but in retrospect it really did make sense. Palpatine was planning this for quite some time and the Inquisitors would seem like a good idea to have in place soon after the Jedi are vilified. Then, while the clones were there to fight an outside force, the Stormtroopers seem to primarily be there to "maintain order". It could be important to the Emperor for the galaxy to see this change to quell any opposition ASAP.

I also really enjoyed how Ahsoka got her Crystals and how she collected those bits and pieces along the way to build her lightsabers.

There are a number of other scenes I liked as well.

This will probably be the first book I've ever listened to first and then read the book. I liked it enough to buy it, but really I just want it sitting on my shelf.

Side question:
Ahsoka seems to be aware that Palpatine was the Sith Lord. I was under the impression that any Jedi who knew that had died except Yoda and Obi-Wan. Is this mentioned anywhere else or is this just a new aspect just revealed?

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Rushing | 52 comments I think the part with the crystals was fantastic, one of the most interesting things we learn about.

I felt the book had the feeling go being the beginning of a trilogy, so I am hoping that we get more Ahsoka books.

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt Neve | 3 comments Just finished this book:

Overall I enjoyed it but felt it lacked punch. It could have given us a lot more - the opening part with Darth Maul on Mandalore would be a classic example.

I have to agree when it comes to a lack of threat - Ashoka never seemed out of her depth but that did show how adept she was in acting as the "lonely Jedi".

The crystals was fantastic - a really good insight into how they work and it seems that they have a tendency to be affected by the light side of the Force rather than the dark.

My biggest criticism - the supporting characters are sadly instantly forgettable. Will they make an impact on the galaxy far far away? Probably not - like the Tarkin novel I couldn't really tell you any of the rebels names as soon as I finished the book.

Overall, a worthwhile read but wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of canon so far.

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Rushing | 52 comments I think that the lack of threat makes sense. The Empire cannot really throw anything at Jedi that is a threat and that is why Palpatine engineered a war to destroy them so that when he did fully take power there would be no one to challenge the Empire. The threat to Ahsoka becomes not being powerful enough to save everyone and that in the end it's all about numbers and the Empire just keeps coming.

message 10: by JuanJohnJedi (new)

JuanJohnJedi | 6 comments Really enjoyed the interludes, since Disney Publishing set them up with pages that were a different color, making it clear to the reader that the interludes had NOTHING TO DO with the main plot. (That was my biggest problem with Wendig's Aftermath, which is why I liked Life Debt more because I now know how to read it: Do the interludes *first*, then go ahead and read the main plot. Sorry for the digression.)

Would love to read more Ahsoka books. Even one where she interacts with Bail Organa more -- maybe him giving her a mission to carry out?

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (The Tidy Bookshelf) (tidybookshelf) | 4 comments I enjoyed Ahsoka, though I wish it were an adult book instead of a YA novel (and that's not a knock on YA lit, I love it and read a fair amount of it). I think as an adult book it would have been longer and meatier; as it was, it kinnda felt like the Clone Wars movie . . . like it could have been 4 or so Clone Wars/Rebels episodes put together. I think that Lost Stars got the balance right on "YA with substance" where Ahsoka was a little shallower than I would have liked. I wanted more!

I LOVED that Bail Organa showed up halfway through, that really added to the story for me, and really felt right. Also makes me really want a story about the Organa family, the Senate under Imperial rule, and stories of Leia as a child. And I loved how Ahsoka got her lightsabers, that was a fascinating bit for me.

I've also heard an interesting theory that Ilum, the frozen world being mined for its crystals, eventually became Starkiller Base. Hrm . . .

I read the book and now I'm listening to the audiobook - curious to see how that adds to the experience!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Wishman Nalan I really enjoyed this book, as did my 8 year-old, whom I listened to the book with. I agree with those that say it feels more like middle-grade than YA, but I don't view that as a problem. I love middle-grade and read a fair amount of it. I think this book will be a wonderful introduction for middle-grade readers to Star Wars books. I do find the criticism of "this wasn't what I expected" or "this isn't what I wanted" to be invalid.

I loved how this book showed the outer and inner processes that Ahsoka went through to become who we see in Rebels: a strong female who is comfortable in her own skin and owns her choices.I feel that the internal struggles the author showed make Ahsoka easy to identify with.

There were some really emotional scenes, such as Ahsoka's reunion with R2, Bail's reflections on Leia and forming a rebellion, and Obi-Wan's interlude. I hope for more Ahsoka stories.

message 13: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 24 comments I'd love some sequels to show Ahsoka and Artoo had missions together before Rebels. That'd be just one more secret that little droid kept from Luke!