THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Createspace or Nook Press

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Oct 17, 2016 06:32AM) (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments So I have a dilemma...

I have my novel listed with Createspace but they want me to increase the price from $8.99 to $11.50 just for expanded distribution. I am certain that if I increase the price it will never sale. What I am wondering is should I list it separately with Nook Press? I want to see about doing an event at a local B&N and I know they will want it listed through them.

I know it is going to be 2 separate ISBNs but has anyone done this?

Thanks

message 2: by Gerry (new)

Gerry (gerrydowndoggmailcom) | 60 comments You might want to check about whether or not you can list it at a different price on Nook if you have it listed with Createspace (I assume it is a Kindle book there) You might have to choose one over the other.

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer You would have to take it off Createspace if you're going to publish elsewhere. Plus, Nook Press is for the eBook version. Createspace is the paperback.

You can consider other places to publish your print copy, such as LuLu.

Smashwords is another great place that has expanded distribution for eBook worldwide.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments Denise wrote: "You would have to take it off Createspace if you're going to publish elsewhere. Plus, Nook Press is for the eBook version. Createspace is the paperback.

You can consider other places to publish y..."

Actually Nook Press is for paperback, hardback, and eBooks. I have not found anything on Createspace saying I can't publish the paperback and hardbacks under a different ISBN yet. Besides, Createspace does not even offer hardback.

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Paul wrote: "Denise wrote: "You would have to take it off Createspace if you're going to publish elsewhere. Plus, Nook Press is for the eBook version. Createspace is the paperback.

You can consider other plac..."

I don't like Nook Press, so I guess I never looked further into publishing other than eBook. Good luck!

message 6: by Emmanuel (new)

Emmanuel Jr. | 5 comments is there a nook press in Europe?

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments Not sure, take a look:

https://www.nookpress.com/

If not I know they have some PoD printers in England somewhere I heard.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments This is what Createspace said about the IP rights in regards to the physically printed books...

"Our Member Agreement is non-exclusive, so you are free to take advantage of any
publishing opportunities that come your way in the future using a different ISBN. Titles
enrolled in Expanded Distribution are eligible for access to thousands of online
retailers, bookstores, libraries and academic institutions, with limited exceptions."

message 9: by P.G. (last edited Oct 21, 2016 04:26PM) (new)

P.G. Lengsfelder | 27 comments Look into Ingram Spark/Lightning Source if you are solely concerned with a print copy. If digital, look into Smashwords, which will distribute to all digital formats, including Nook and Kindle.

message 10: by Wendy (last edited Oct 27, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Wendy Goerl | 137 comments The two aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, expanded distribution will raise your price, but it's not out of line with what you'd have to charge if you sold directly to a bookstore (speaking from experience). They have to mark up the retail so you and they will have some money after the bookstore takes its cut. Industry standard among brick-and-mortars is 40% of the retail price, so you and CreateSpace have to get your profits out of the remaining 60%, and CreateSpace is bearing all the material costs.

That said, CreateSpace is still cheaper than B&N for paperbacks, but doesn't offer hardcover at all.

I'm seriously thinking of leaving my paperbacks with CreateSpace, and getting hardcovers with B&N. (Haven't done it yet, because the only book of mine that's selling right now is in a custom trim size--which B&N doesn't do.)

message 11: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Lair | 34 comments Someone told me that there is no charge to have a book published by Createspace. The only money she spent was to buy copies of her book.
Is it true that one could publish a book with Createspace at no cost to the author?

message 12: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments J.J. wrote: "Is it true that one could publish a book with Createspace at no cost to the author? "

Yip. It's free, that's the beauty of POD, it costs nothing as the book is only printed when someone buys a copy. You can purchase proof/author copies at a discounted rate.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 215 comments Thanks for the info!

message 14: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Lair | 34 comments with so many publishers that charge for POD publishing, it surprised me when someone told me that a writer could do this free on Createspace. That said, I'm not so tech savvy that I could do all the formatting on my own. There will be costs there. With respect to Createspace, those charges don't seem exorbitant.

message 15: by Wendy (last edited Dec 15, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Wendy Goerl | 137 comments J.J. wrote: "with so many publishers that charge for POD publishing, it surprised me when someone told me that a writer could do this free on Createspace. That said, I'm not so tech savvy that I could do all th..."

Lots of people are willing to pay for things rather than search out the information for themselves. If I had a nickel for everyone that was impressed by something I turned out after a ten-minute internet search and a couple hours of work . . . (or the people that will walk right past the restroom door to ask you where the restroom is, just because you're wearing an employee uniform . . . )

message 16: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Fiore (rebekahsfiore) | 3 comments J.J. wrote: "with so many publishers that charge for POD publishing, it surprised me when someone told me that a writer could do this free on Createspace. That said, I'm not so tech savvy that I could do all th..."

J.J., CreateSpace provide free formatted templates for your chosen print size, that you can just paste your text into chapter by chapter. There's very little tech knowledge needed. Inbox me if you'd like further info or help with formatting

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Rand | 8 comments J.J. wrote: "with so many publishers that charge for POD publishing, it surprised me when someone told me that a writer could do this free on Createspace. That said, I'm not so tech savvy that I could do all th..."

J.J., I'm not tech savvy either but was able to figure out Createspace and I used a template I bought at bookdesigntemplates.com which was quite easy to use and cost effective compared to hiring someone to format. Good luck!

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 215 comments Thanks for this thread and the comments from everyone. It's been very helpful.

message 19: by James (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments actually createspace offers a free book to download for how to publish with them. comes in mighty useful because it tells you how to code it.

message 20: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments Rebekah wrote: "J.J. wrote: "with so many publishers that charge for POD publishing, it surprised me when someone told me that a writer could do this free on Createspace. That said, I'm not so tech savvy that I co..." I have done all my books on Create Space. Check out my murder mystery series starting with Brain Bleed.

message 21: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments Brain Bleed First in the murder mystery series. Ian's Revenge and Nab Yoga are also a part of the same series. The Hemp Papers is due out Jan 20.

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 215 comments Jim wrote: "actually createspace offers a free book to download for how to publish with them. comes in mighty useful because it tells you how to code it."

Great to know, Jim. Thanks!

message 23: by James (last edited Dec 18, 2016 12:52AM) (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments "Great to know, Jim. Thanks!"
you're welcome. you might also check into the one from kindle. that's free as well :)

message 24: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Brown | 4 comments I have two Book published one with Trafford which I have to revise and reedit can I publish it on created pace. A the other book with Jamaican add Caribbean Recipe with pictures can I publish it on Create space. Thanks to those who will reply.
Ken

message 25: by Jan (last edited Dec 18, 2016 02:41PM) (new)

Jan Notzon | 215 comments Jim wrote: ""Great to know, Jim. Thanks!"
you're welcome. you might also check into the one from kindle. that's free as well :)"

Will do! BTW, when you go to createspace, is the book prominently featured? Will I have to hunt the site for it?

message 26: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments Kenneth wrote: "I have two Book published one with Trafford..."

You can't publish it yourself if the rights are held by a publisher, that would be in violation of your contract. Unless you mean rights have reverted to you?

message 27: by James (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments Jan wrote: "Jim wrote: ""Great to know, Jim. Thanks!"
you're welcome. you might also check into the one from kindle. that's free as well :)"

Will do! BTW, when you go to createspace, is the book prominently f..."

https://www.createspace.com/Special/E...

message 29: by James (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments I used this article, and I believe there are youtube videos as well :)
https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2014/...
and here is a video on how to do it if you are visually oriented :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGDG0...

message 31: by James (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments good luck, and I hope to see you out there published :)

message 32: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Goerl | 137 comments Jan wrote: "Jim wrote: ""Great to know, Jim. Thanks!"

Will do! BTW, when you go to createspace, is the book prominently f..."

I've never actually gone shopping on CreateSpace as a buyer. I understand CreateSpace has it's own store, but I would hazard a bet that 99% of sales go through the Amazon site and not CreateSpace directly. And how prominent you are on Amazon depends on how well your book is selling relative to its niche and how much you want to spend on promotion.

message 33: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 215 comments Thanks again, Jim. I was very intimidated when I went to the site and saw a whole new language I needed to learn. But the instructions sites you provided allowed me to breathe again. (Of course, then there'll be the asphyxiation when I do try to do it, but so it goes with new endeavors!)

message 34: by James (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments Jan wrote: "Thanks again, Jim. I was very intimidated when I went to the site and saw a whole new language I needed to learn. But the instructions sites you provided allowed me to breathe again. (Of course, th..."

indeed. I did some hyperventilation too when I saw it myself. :D

message 35: by James (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments give me a shout out when you reach the point of coding for kindle. if you're using Microsoft word, I can make your book into an html page for you. it'll make the book work better in kindles mobi platform :)

message 36: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 215 comments Again, so many thanks. It's going to be many months before I'm ready to give it a shot. But I'll definitely give you a shout then.

message 37: by James (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments no worries. :)

message 38: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 215 comments Jim, The problem really is that I'm simply jinxed when it comes to technology. I hired a professional web designer. Now, besides not liking the result, I can't get to my emails at my web site: jan@jannotzon.com, I can't get my emails on my cell phone anymore, Cricket couldn't make it work, and now, after they tried, it appears to be locked. I'm back in the middle of the previous century. And it wasn't even my technological ignorance that caused this disaster.

message 39: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 215 comments Thank you, anyway.

message 40: by Sandhya (new)

Sandhya Jane (sandhya_jane) | 2 comments P.G. wrote: "Look into Ingram Spark/Lightning Source if you are solely concerned with a print copy. If digital, look into Smashwords, which will distribute to all digital formats, including Nook and Kindle."
Agree. Ingram Spark / Lightening Source is good for paperback. But, there eBook is terrible as converting into ePub with Mac is huge issue. So, I used kindle for eBook and their service for paperback. Quality is really good.

message 41: by P.G. (new)

P.G. Lengsfelder | 27 comments Sandhya wrote: "P.G. wrote: "Look into Ingram Spark/Lightning Source if you are solely concerned with a print copy. If digital, look into Smashwords, which will distribute to all digital formats, including Nook an..."

There's so much to learn in this process. I'm working on my second novel, thinking I'll outsource some of the formatting from this point forward. At any rate, glad it worked out for you.

message 42: by James (new)

James Dyar (jimdyar) | 32 comments Jan wrote: "Jim, The problem really is that I'm simply jinxed when it comes to technology. I hired a professional web designer. Now, besides not liking the result, I can't get to my emails at my web site: jan@..."
no worries. :)