Play Book Tag discussion

The Road
This topic is about The Road
25 views
Archive: Other Books > The Road - Cormac McCarthy - 4 1/2 stars

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 802 comments The Road is a book with simple language, few characters, little dialogue and very little change in what it is like around the two main characters. However, this makes everything said or that happens have a big impact to the reader. The story is about a man and his son. The world around them is burned and in ruin. There are few people and almost no choices of what to do to survive. They are trying to make their way to the ocean in hopes of finding something - perhaps some good people. They walk on and on. It is a terrible world that the characters live in. It certainly makes the reader glad to not be in that situation. It is a book you should read to experience their world.


Susie | 4488 comments I adored this novel. I'm glad you liked it too.


Red52 This is the most credible dystopian novel I have ever read.


Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments A book that I found to be so so memorable. One of my top reads of all time. I love how the language dovetails with the storyline. I keep telling myself I will read another McCarthy, but I'm afraid nothing will quite compare.


Red52 Oh Anita, that's not true. IMHO. Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West is astonishingly good. Violent but the depictions of the Southwest -amazing. This novel affected me so much that for two years I found nothing to compare. The Coen brothers did a fantastic job with the movie as I read the book after seeing and Tommy Lee Jones is the sheriff Jarier Bardem perfect. No Country For Old Men


Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Oh,, I need to get on it then!! Thanks for the specific recommendations and encouragement, Rina!


Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I agree with Anita, so memorable. Will have to look up Blood


Booknblues | 5766 comments I'm a fan of the whole border trilogy. I liked Blood Meridian and rated it a 5, but in truth I didn't love it because it was so very brutal. That being said there is a good share of brutality in the The Border Trilogy: All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain . McCarthy's writing devastates the reader a bit.


message 9: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin | 7000 comments I did NOT like this book, nor has it been the most believable dystopian novel I've read (but I've read a LOT of dystopian novels!), but many people seem to like this one.


Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I've read A LOT of dystopian novels as well, and I liked this. But, I would consider this post-apocalyptic rather than dystopian


Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments Okay ... you guys have convinced me that I should read this. ... maybe...


Red52 Regina wrote: "I've read A LOT of dystopian novels as well, and I liked this. But, I would consider this post-apocalyptic rather than dystopian"

Regina is correct. On the category. I stand corrected. And as such is still the most believable I have ever read


message 13: by Karin (last edited Oct 23, 2016 02:20PM) (new) - added it

Karin | 7000 comments Regina wrote: "I've read A LOT of dystopian novels as well, and I liked this. But, I would consider this post-apocalyptic rather than dystopian"

I TOTALLY agree, and should have mentioned that! There are a few post-apocalyptic novels that are also dystopian due to things that arose afterward, but this is not one as there is no ruling body involved, etc. For example, Seveneves is a sci-fi book that is both post-apocalyptic and dystopian, but it also spans an enormous amount of time and the dystopia was set up and then changed as a result of the knowledge of the coming apocalyptic events (its believability factor, for me, was very low, but it was a 4 star read for me.)


Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Okay ... you guys have convinced me that I should read this. ... maybe..."

What has been keeping you from reading it, BC? Because I honestly think you will very much appreciate it . . .


Susie | 4488 comments I'm with Anita BC. It's one of the best books I've ever read.


Kelly | 802 comments I also agree with Regina that it is a post-apocalyptic novel. It was excellent.


Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Mc Carthy can be hit or miss for me. I absolutely loved The Road and enjoyed the Border Trilogy especially The Crossing. I disliked No Country For Old Men and Suttree. I plan to work in Blood Meridian one of these days.


Booknblues | 5766 comments Denizen wrote: "Mc Carthy can be hit or miss for me. I absolutely loved The Road and enjoyed the Border Trilogy especially The Crossing. I disliked No Country For Old Men and Suttree. I plan to work in Blood Merid..."

The Crossing was my favorite as well. I haven't read No country or Suttree.


Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments Anita wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Okay ... you guys have convinced me that I should read this. ... maybe..."

What has been keeping you from reading it, BC? Because I honestly think you will very much appreci..."


I'm not a fan of post-apocalyptic novels (though I loved Stephen King's The Stand). And every time I've read something about McCarthy's The Road I think "I could find something better to read..."


message 20: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin | 7000 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Anita wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Okay ... you guys have convinced me that I should read this. ... maybe..."

What has been keeping you from reading it, BC? Because I honestly think you will ver..."


I certainly did not like this book, and there have been some post-apocalyptic books I have liked, so I'm with you on your choice here.


Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Well, BC, I don't seek out post apocalyptic fiction as a rule, but I am a huge fan of The Stand. And The Road. So take that for what it is worth!!


back to top