SF/F Read Alongs discussion

Read Alongs > [Dec] A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers #2)

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Nov 03, 2016 05:51AM) (new)

Lisa (deargeekplace) | 525 comments Mod
Here we go! :D

OK, a quick note about the section/chapter divisions: Unlike with Small Angry Planet there are no easy chapter headings to guide stopping points - the chapters switch between two different POVs and each switch/chapter is just named for the character whose POV it's coming from, so for Parts 1 and 2 I've had to go by page numbers. The sentence fragments I've quoted are to help clarify where we should stop for that section.

If anyone's still not sure (I know we may not all be reading the hardcover), please let me know!

Here's the schedule:

Week 1: Friday 2nd December - Start of Part 1 up to Page 94 ("...yellow, silver, white..."), hosted by Over the Effing Rainbow
Week 2: Friday 9th December - Page 95 (Jane, Age 10 "Jane was still tired...") to End of Part 1, hosted by imyril at There's Always Room For One More
Week 3: Friday 16th December - all of Part 2, hosted by Lynn at Lynn's Book Blog
Week 4: Friday 23rd December - Part 3 to End, hosted by Mogsy at The BiblioSanctum

message 2: by imyril (new)

imyril | 287 comments Mod
I'm nominally in, but I'm hesitating to put my hand up to host for now - I'm away until the 8th and it looks like I will be submerged in work from then until January. Should know more in a week or so!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

No worries!

message 4: by imyril (new)

Sadly it's looking a lot like November will be overwhelming (quite likely to have to travel for work as soon as I get back from holiday) so I think I am now 'nominally out' :(

message 5: by Rinn (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) I wanted to join this, but I don't want to buy the hardback (I hate hbacks!). So I'm waiting for the pback which comes out in April...

message 6: by Lisa (new)

I'm actually sort of having second thoughts about committing to this so soon myself - I'm lining up quite a lot of potential reviews for November already and without a full host lineup for this it'd probably be too much to keep on top of on my own. If that doesn't change by the end of this week, I'll write up a full review for the book and either cancel or postpone this.

(Absolutely no pressure or guilt on anybody here! It is meant to be fun, and if it's not fun I don't want to try plowing ahead anyway. That way lies unpleasantness in general.)

message 7: by Mogsy (MMOGC) (last edited Oct 26, 2016 10:38PM) (new)

Mogsy (MMOGC) (mmogc) | 40 comments Ugh, stupid Goodreads isn't always good with sending me alerts to new messages in this group. Missed a few posts but I'm here now and would like to volunteer for one of the weeks if this is still going on. I am a newbie at this, so maybe the last week?

Also, a post in the suggestions thread pointing others to this one might help, not everyone might have seen this either if the GR notifications system is flakey.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Mogsy (MMOGC) wrote: "Ugh, stupid Goodreads isn't always good with sending me alerts to new messages in this group. Missed a few posts but I'm here now and would like to volunteer for one of the weeks if this is still g..."

Argh! Thanks, and thanks! I'll put you down for the last week.

message 9: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new)

Anya (starsanddragons) | 155 comments Mod
I've decided to do nanowrimo so I can't commit to the read along but would in December, no pressure either way ;)

message 10: by Mogsy (MMOGC) (new)

Mogsy (MMOGC) (mmogc) | 40 comments Yeah, no pressure. If we need to push this back to December I am game too. No matter what I would really love to read this book!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

I could do December if it's better for everybody - in fact it might actually be easier on me...

message 12: by imyril (new)

I can do December and host a week!

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Oct 29, 2016 01:47AM) (new)

Hooray! One more and I'll rejig the schedule... ;-)

EDIT: Did it anyway.

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Williams | 84 comments I'm on board with the readalong.
If you need a host = happy to join in but couldn't do the 9th December.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Sorted! How does that work for everybody?

message 16: by Mogsy (MMOGC) (new)

Mogsy (MMOGC) (mmogc) | 40 comments Looks good to me!

message 17: by imyril (new)

Perfect! HOORAY.

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Williams | 84 comments Excellent :D

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Hello all! So here are my questions for Week 1 - sorry they're so late, this week's been a bit hectic for me. Anyway! Here we are. :D

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Here's my Week 1 post: http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/201...

message 22: by imyril (new)

I, uh, have a problem. It's enough weeks since I read Common Orbit that I can't just answer the questions and

a) it's amazing enough in how it handles its themes from page 1 and b) I'm tired enough that

I can't read it without floods of tears.

My beloved is outright laughing at me now. Especially as I keep telling him it's just because IT'S SO GOOD. Please send hankies.

Will try to get on top of it in time to post week one answers and week two questions by Wednesday latest!

message 23: by Lisa (new)

No problem, and I'm totally not laughing at you too, I promise.

:D

message 24: by imyril (new)

Because I believe you, feel free to take advantage of this super-simple banner

(Working with the figures proved too awkward and I ran out of time, so super simple wins).

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather 1. I loved the larger cast of the first book and I missed that in this one. Jane and Sidra's stories were interesting but I missed the worldbuilding of the first book.

2. I found it interesting that she does better inside walls because she can't turn off her scanning. That would be horrible.

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Williams | 84 comments Sorry all, forgot to post my link:
https://lynns-books.com/2016/12/03/a-...

message 27: by imyril (new)

Better late than never: https://onemore.org/2016/12/05/a-clos...

Week 2 questions will be up later today!

message 28: by imyril (new)

Heather wrote: "2. I found it interesting that she does better inside walls because she can't turn off her scanning. That would be horrible."

This really hit home for me too. I was glad she quickly hit on coping mechanisms (and thought it was clever to make the point that even her physical perspective on the world felt wrong to her - her instant relief at being high up in a corner). All the sympathy.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Imyril wrote: "Because I believe you, feel free to take advantage of this super-simple banner

(Working with the figures proved too awkward and I ran out of time, so super simple wins)."

Hooray! Thanks. :D

message 30: by imyril (last edited Dec 05, 2016 03:47AM) (new)

Week 2 questions!

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Williams | 84 comments Hi everyone. Sorry, I meant to post my questions last night but just got caught up with all sorts of other dramas. Anyway, hope you enjoyed this week’s chapters and here are my questions - although they’re more like thoughts to provoke discussion than outright queries:

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Williams | 84 comments And, here is my week 2 post. Better late than never eh!
https://lynns-books.com/2016/12/09/a-...

message 37: by Lisa (new)

My week 3 post will (I hope) go up at some point tomorrow, after my shift. Today's been non-stop and I never got the chance to finish it. This may call for pizza and some form of alcoholic beverage...

message 38: by imyril (new)

I will get my post up this weekend - running late after week juggling jobs!

message 39: by Lisa (new)

message 40: by imyril (new)

And mine (finally!): http://onemore.org/2016/12/18/a-close...

message 41: by Mogsy (MMOGC) (new)

Mogsy (MMOGC) (mmogc) | 40 comments I finished the book this weekend so I decided to put up the questions for Week 4 early - in case anyone else also wants to get a head start before the holiday madness!

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Lisa (new)

It may actually be Saturday before I get mine posted this week, because I finish work on Friday but will probably have a busy day beforehand as well. If I don't get another chance to say so, I hope you all enjoy the holidays! :D

message 43: by imyril (new)

Hooray, I'm all caught up: https://onemore.org/2016/12/24/a-clos...

I'm a bit pushed for time this week (bet I'm not the only one ;) so I haven't enthused quite as much as I'd like, but I ended the book as I started it: in tears. Happy, happy tears.

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Finally! Here's my link: http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/201...