Support for Indie Authors discussion

Justin MacCormack
This topic is about Justin MacCormack
Archived Workshop No New Posts > Help turning my cover into a promo piece?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin MacCormack | 1 comments Hey guys,
I've been working on a new series of short stories, some horror/comedy LGBT erotica. Odd choice, I know. I'm a bit odd.
Anyway, CB Archer did some artwork for the cover, and I'm happy with the cover as it looks fantastic. Shout-out to Archer :)
BUT, I'm wanting to put together something in the line of a promotional piece of art with it. And promos/marketing... I'm not so good at. Photoshop, I am good at. Just not, y'know, making things eye-catching.
Can anyone suggest anything that might really grab the eye and make people go 'Oooh'?

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments If this is horror/comedy LGBT erotica I don't think the cover targets your audience very well.

This cover makes it look like a tween story. That may be a very bad mistake. Even with the term "Monsterotica" your target audience will likely pass it over.

message 3: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
Well, I like the art, I can say that much! :D

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Lol I do too. :) besides, I think there are more adults into cartoons than tweens.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner I'm going to say that I think this very much attracts your target audience. I would never see this and think it's for anyone under 18. Looks good. CB did good work.

As far as something to make it pop, I don't really know as I'm not great with that with my own books. Honestly, I'd probably stop and take a took just based off the cover. Being familiar with CB's books, my interest would be piqued.

message 6: by Rohvannyn (new)

Rohvannyn Shaw | 189 comments I like the cover. The bright, nearly primary colors do say "comic book" but they are also quite eye catching, and the title combined with the actual art does say what you want it to. It matches the style of a few other things I've seen in that genre so it's good.

What kind of promo were you wanting to make? If it's a poster or leaflet, what I'd probably do is lay out a larger black rectangle, slightly larger than the cover in the vertical dimension and about double the width. Put the cover on one side so it occupies about half.

In white text, write what's cool about your book, your promotion info, etc. The dark colors will help the cover pop, and the white on black text says "adult" more than "child."

message 7: by Harald (last edited Dec 01, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Harald | 120 comments Justin wrote: "...Can anyone suggest anything that might really grab the eye and make people go 'Oooh'?"

Cool cover! (Yo, C.B.!)

RE: promos (aka Marcom Materials), like Rohvannyn says, it depends on what it's for. What's the objective? How does it work? What's the Call to Action?

Here's one thing I recently did for an Historical Fiction series I'm getting ready to release. I knew I was going to NYC for final research. And that I would be joining a History Walking Tour of Lower Manhattan. So I printed up a two-sided "card" (postcard size) to hand out (I got advance permission to do this). On one side was my color cover image with an intriguing headline. On the other side was B&W info about the series, a Coming Soon!, my name, my website ("To learn more, visit: _________"), and another image relating to the series. Everyone wanted one of those cards! (and I got their email addresses for following up). That's just one example.

Figure out what the purpose of the promo is, then work from there.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker Are you wanting some kind of mock-up with some words out to the side?

message 9: by C.B. Matson (new)

C.B. Matson | 143 comments Justin, last July I posted about building an animated GIF of your book cover. I'd sure like to see someone else do one, and a C.B. (my evil twin C.B.) cover would be fantastic. You can find the original how-to post here: IDEA.

Good luck with your promotional campaign and hats-off (or something off, whatever) to C.B. for his humorous and creative artwork.

Oh... oh, oh yeah, and if you do create an animated GIF be sure to post it here so we all can admire it.