YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
BUDDY READ: Dystopian/Sci-Fi > The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - Restarting July 11th 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachmi (new)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...

Everyone is welcome to join us to read this book on October 27th, 2016.

Haley (haleymadd) | 1274 comments I'll be joining this one in august!

Avva | 131 comments Looking forward to join!

message 4: by Cece (new)

Cece Beyer (cecebeyer) | 2 comments ohhh goody - I'm listening to this audiobook (I go on a LOT of long car journeys so its not as lazy as it sounds) I'm looking forward to joining in!

Dalziel Mapp (dalzieldestroyedbybooksdailymapp) Should be good!

Haley (haleymadd) | 1274 comments How much do you all think you'll be reading today?

message 7: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 352 comments Hi! I'm listening to the audiobook too. Hoping to finish it all today, but that might be too much to hope for.

Haley (haleymadd) | 1274 comments I have the audiobook too & kindle book. I'll see if I can start and finish today.

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments I have the audio also and will start today :)

message 10: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 352 comments Just started: Chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

message 13: by Gillian (last edited Aug 14, 2017 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Chapter 18 I don't like how the story jumps from past to present all the time only giving tiny glimpses of the past. (view spoiler) (view spoiler)

message 14: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 352 comments All the flashforwards and flashbackwards are confusing. It's difficult to keep track of what is actually going on. Perhaps the story is more about the situation than the plot?

message 15: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 352 comments Chapter 25 (view spoiler)

message 16: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 352 comments Chapter 28 (view spoiler)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Emily wrote: "Chapter 28 [spoilers removed]"

Yeh it took an awful long time to get that information out had it been released at the start it would have been less confusing.

message 18: by Emily (last edited Aug 14, 2017 06:20PM) (new) - added it

Emily | 352 comments Gillian wrote: "Emily wrote: "Chapter 28 [spoilers removed]"

Yeh it took an awful long time to get that information out had it been released at the start it would have been less confusing."

Agreed. But I think they did it to keep us interested to uncover the mystery. Although I suppose a book that can hold its own without that would have been better. Or maybe it's to show a stark contrast between her life before and her life now?

message 19: by Gillian (last edited Aug 14, 2017 08:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Finished: I don't know how I feel about this book. Did I like it? I didn't hate it. Did it make me angry? Hell yes (view spoiler)

message 20: by Haley (last edited Aug 15, 2017 08:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Haley (haleymadd) | 1274 comments Emily wrote: "Just started: Chapter 2: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Haley (haleymadd) | 1274 comments Gillian wrote: "Chapter 11 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 352 comments Haley wrote: "Gillian wrote: "Chapter 11 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Haley (haleymadd) | 1274 comments ch 38 (view spoiler)

Haley (haleymadd) | 1274 comments Gillian wrote: "Finished: I don't know how I feel about this book. Did I like it? I didn't hate it. Did it make me angry? Hell yes The Commander was an asshole ( Do as I say not as I do ) The wife was such a pamp..."

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 3rd of September 2017

************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 26: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
*************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 1st of July 2018

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Starting this one today. I watched the first episode of the show before I realized it was a novel, so I definitely want to read before I watch. I've heard a lot of great comments about both and am pretty stoked to get started.

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Chapters 1-3
(view spoiler)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Through chapter 7
(view spoiler)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Chapter 11
(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11001 comments I somehow ended up with too many BRs that started on the 1st. Oops. So I will likely be starting tomorrow.

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Chapter 13
(view spoiler)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments @Jamie- yep, I get behind too lol

Jamie | 11001 comments And now further behind. *Sigh* Started to read my library copy only to a few pages in and its is missing 2 pages and a few others are marked witha sharpie or something. Library book and people with no respect!! Grrr. On hold for another copy. Hopefully it arrives asap.

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments My copy had dog eared pages and paragraphs in parentheses like someone had used in for a class :/

Jamie | 11001 comments Not as bad as its still legible but still annoying.

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Yeah, I don't know why people have to do that to books that don't belong to them

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Chapter 16
(view spoiler)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Chapter 20
(view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapters 1-4 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments ✌ Ashley ☠ wrote: "Through chapter 7
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments ✌ Ashley ☠ wrote: "Chapter 13
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments ✌ Ashley ☠ wrote: "Chapter 16
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Chapter 26
(view spoiler)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Chapter 28
(view spoiler)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Chapter 31
(view spoiler)