Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Nominations for January 2017!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (last edited Oct 22, 2016 09:13AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Hi everyone,

It's time to open nominations for our January 2017 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration. A couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

1. Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination.

2. To see if your nomination has already been read by the group, you can check:

a. the group's bookshelf for Previous Books of the Month

and/or

b. these threads:
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2012-Present
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2006-2011

Books the group has read in the past 2 years are not eligible for current consideration. Being chosen as a past BotM prior to that time is not an automatic disqualification, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, self-nomination and various rules for nominations, please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding isn't necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but let's please keep things civil.

Poll schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Friday, October 21.
• The first round of polls will open Saturday, October 22, and will run through Wednesday, October 26.
• The run-off polls go up Thursday, October 27, and will be open through Monday, October 31.

Thanks!

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:

SCIENCE FICTION:
Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton (Justine)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (Joey)
The January Dancer by Michael Flynn (Mary)
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson (Kevin)
The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove (Paul)
The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison (Viv)
Sundiver by David Brin (Mike)

FANTASY:
The Summer Dragon by Todd Lockwood (Justine)
The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher (Mary)
Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner (Paul)
Red Girls: The Legend of the Akakuchibas by Kazuki Sakuraba (Viv)
Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler (Nick)
Last Song Before Night by Ilana C. Myer (Kathi)

message 2: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Anyone?

message 4: by Joey (new)

Joey Anderson | 43 comments I have one for science fiction: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 470 comments The January Dancer by Michael Flynn. Intrigue, adventure, and world-building on a galactic scale. (SF)

The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher. A unique world, with steampunk adventure. And cats.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Cudby | 1 comments For SF I'll be reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. If others like that it would be great to compare thoughts and impressions. But I've not been very active on this list so I'm OK if people go for something else

message 7: by Paul (last edited Oct 20, 2016 12:13AM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 219 comments Let's try the classics again:

SF - The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove

Fantasy - Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8 comments I'll second the The Summer Dragon

The Aeronaut's Windlass was excellent. That one was an audio book for me and the narrator was also terrific.

message 10: by Nick (last edited Oct 20, 2016 04:55AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments For Fantasy, Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler, who always makes social issues in fantasy/scifi so appealing.

message 11: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3222 comments Mod
For Fantasy, Last Song Before Night by Ilana C. Myer. Debut novel gathering excellent reviews.

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike | 11 comments For Science Fiction I nominate The Uplift War byDavid Brin.

message 13: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Mike, unfortunately The Uplift War doesn't qualify, as it's #3 in a series, and we haven't read #s 1 or 2. Do you want to nominate book #1 in the series, Sundiver?

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike | 11 comments Candiss wrote: "Mike, unfortunately The Uplift War doesn't qualify, as it's #3 in a series, and we haven't read #s 1 or 2. Do you want to nominate book #1 in the series, Sundiver?"

Yes.

message 15: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Nominations are closed, and the first polls will be up soon.

message 17: by Helen (new)

Helen I keep missing these, didn't we used to have emails?

message 18: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinescholefield) | 563 comments There aren't usually emails unless there aren't enough nominations close to the cutoff. The thread usually goes up around midmonth though for a week.

message 19: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Helen wrote: "I keep missing these, didn't we used to have emails?"

Helen, Justine is correct. I generally try to keep the emails to one at the beginning of the month and one when the final polls go up at the end of the month. (You should be getting that one in the next few minutes, actually.) :)

message 20: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The run-off polls for January '17 are up. You can vote through the end of the day on the 31st.

SF: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

F: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen Candiss wrote: "Helen wrote: "I keep missing these, didn't we used to have emails?"

Helen, Justine is correct. I generally try to keep the emails to one at the beginning of the month and one when the final polls ..."

I haven't been getting any, I'm check my settings. Thanks.