Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Inside Out & Back Again
This topic is about Inside Out & Back Again
Inside Out and Back Again, by Thanhha Lai

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I read this book as a "National book award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade" as part of BookRiot 2015. I actually thought this book was going to be some kind of picture book, but it is really a middle grade novel told in verse. I was a little nervous to read it because I've never had much interest in books told in verse.

This book is about a 10-year-old girl living in Saigon at the time of the Vietnam war. Her family escapes to America, and the book tells about their attempts to adjust to their new lives, and especially her experiences at school. I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I was going to, although the style did take some getting used to. I thought the main character, Ha, seemed very real and easily came to life in the first few pages. It may be a difficult book for younger readers, but it is a great book about the immigrant experience and very beautifully written.

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments I read Listen, Slowly by the same author and wasn't at all sold by it. There were plenty of interesting things (it's a 12yo going to Vietnam) but there was also some shaming and the main character was annoying. I had Inside Out and Back Again in my TBR so I didn't delete it, but I'll need a strong motivation to read it :)