NASPA Region II discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (last edited Oct 17, 2016 06:32AM) (new)

Kathy | 6 comments Mod
Welcome everyone! I hope this idea takes off. I love reading and discussing books with anyone who has time to listen. Who wants to start a discussion? What book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

message 2: by Juhi (new)

Juhi Bhatt | 5 comments I am currently reading "The Other Wes Moore" and "Good Girls Marry Doctors" which is a collection of stories by Desi women. Both are amazing.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 6 comments Mod
Thanks, never heard of those two - they're on my list now. Just finished Bone Clocks - I'm a David Mitchell fan.

message 4: by Juhi (new)

Juhi Bhatt | 5 comments Oh! I have not heard of that one! I'll have to write it down.

message 5: by Mimi (last edited Oct 27, 2016 07:20AM) (new)

Mimi Benjamin (mbenj1211) | 3 comments I'm currently reading "Between You & Me" by Mary Norris ("The Comma Queen" from The New Yorker Magazine). I have two degrees in English, and I tend to be drawn to books about writing. I also just started "A Gentleman in Moscow" which was recommended by a colleague. She said she never posts books on Facebook but this one was amazing. I just started it, and my bookgroup is reading it.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 6 comments Mod
Thank you! Putting these on my list. If anyone is looking for something relatively light, I'm thoroughly enjoying the dry wit of "Girl Waits With Gun."

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (kassina) | 1 comments I'm currently doing a re-read of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I'm also reading Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi, a spin-off of the classic sci-fi Fuzzy books by H. Beam Piper. Also, Mort by Terry Pratchett (a Discworld novel) on audiobook.

message 8: by Juhi (new)

Juhi Bhatt | 5 comments I am going back to my teen years and reading Eleanor and Park. It's a young adult novel but many of my fellow colleagues have read it. I flew through 90 pages yesterday. An easy read but the content is heavy.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 6 comments Mod
HI all - just finished Girl Waits With Gun and loved it. It's a great break from real life...except that it's based on real life, which made it even better. Now on to either Sleeping Giants (new) or A Prayer for Owen Meany (old but haven't read it yet.)

message 10: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Benjamin (mbenj1211) | 3 comments Kathy wrote: "HI all - just finished Girl Waits With Gun and loved it. It's a great break from real life...except that it's based on real life, which made it even better. Now on to either Sleeping Giants (new) o..."

A Prayer for Owen Meany is a great book!

message 11: by Juhi (new)

Juhi Bhatt | 5 comments I just started All the Single Ladies and I am already in love!

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 6 comments Mod
Juhi, please review All the Single Ladies for us! I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Vegetarian. I normally enjoy translations from Japanese but this one is leaving me a bit cold. Anyone else read it? Next up: thinking of diving into Outlander. Haven't seen the show or read any of the books. Worth it?

message 13: by Juhi (new)

Juhi Bhatt | 5 comments Hi Kathy, will do! I am about a 100 pages in and I love it. I love the history that I am learning about how we are able to be so confident in saying we are single! I have not heard about your book!

message 14: by Val (new)

Val Yasinska Hi all! I just purchased I Know How She Does It - excited to start reading it this week!

message 15: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Benjamin (mbenj1211) | 3 comments I recently finished a book entitled "A Gentleman in Moscow." The best word I can use to describe the book is lovely. The writing was beautiful and the story was excellent. It's not fast-paced, but it's a wonderful read. I highly recommend it!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 6 comments Mod
Mimi wrote: "I recently finished a book entitled "A Gentleman in Moscow." The best word I can use to describe the book is lovely. The writing was beautiful and the story was excellent. It's not fast-paced, but ..."

Thank you Mimi! That one's on my list and I'm now moving it up.

message 17: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessasuzi) | 1 comments Right now, I've picked up the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. It is an appropriate time in history to be re-reading this favorite of mine. I devour books, and I love all different genres, so I'm excited to participate in this group!

I also recently finished What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan. It was a good read, but a tough one to get through if you have a hard time with books about missing or hurt children.