Old Souls Book Club discussion

Have a question? Ask the group! > How did you get to your Spiritual place?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments How did you get here? What broke you open or opened your eyes? Did you meet someone or lose something? Was it a dream or just something that happened? Were you born with the curiosity or did something lead you? Was it a whisper from the Universe or was it an all out bottom dropping out of your life? Was it a book you read or something else?

message 2: by Julie (last edited Oct 16, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Julie | 53 comments I can honestly say I didn't have the best childhood, nor the worst. I remember vividly a male voice in my ear once when I was very very young telling me I'm going to be okay and I'm meant for greater things.

I remember when I was in my early 20s and I put a message out into the Universe, I had never done that before that moment, and I asked for what I thought a perfect marriage / marriage partner I had in mind. When I was 42, I met him, everything I asked for, everything...but then it reminded me of everything I didn't mention, that I didn't realize was important.

Fast forward a couple of years and my boss, my good friend of a boss that I worked with for 12 years went to prison, and I was floored. That was the beginning of the bottom dropping out, my boyfriend and I broke up (the universe whispered), we got back together and got married, he pulled the rug out from under me (and the universe screamed)...I got reacquainted with an old friend in between that was like Soul Mate, totally connected but not always in a good way, shook up my life...

I started having vivid dreams, premonition dreams and lucid dreams, dreams of ArchAngels and voices talking to me. The first book I knew instinctively that I needed to read was "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It grounded me enough to move forward...here I am, years later, at age 48, still seeking and learning, never getting enough knowledge, rarely looking back, always grateful to what brought me here, not knowing if I'm done going "through hell" , or my dark night, but knowing I have more tools and knowledge from where I started.

I realize I don't understand some people any longer and they no longer understand me but feel they do. It is definitely a road that many do not understand, just as I don't understand many people's decisions. I don't feel awake but I do feel aware. I am aware of my lessons (although I don't think I've learned them all) and I am aware I have turned a page in life and am not in complete fear of where I go from here, but learning to trust the process as long as I act in what is my, and everyone's highest good.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments I have continually "grown" into my spiritual place. Lonely childhood led me to connect with nature/God and feel at home there. I didn't feel like I fit in at school, but loved learning and have always had an unquenchable curiosity about spirituality/religion. I've met people along the way that seemed to be there for a reason, I "found" books that seemed perfectly timed for me to read them, I try to be open.
I still don't entirely fit in with most people but I'm happy to be still learning and discovering what it's all about.

message 4: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "How did you get here? What broke you open or opened your eyes? Did you meet someone or lose something? Was it a dream or just something that happened? Were you born with the curiosity or did someth..."

This is a brilliant question Julie! For me, it started when I was 36. I don't know the order of things, but it was a combination of things

One was a vivid dream of a beautiful butterfly floating up into the clear blue sky (I now use a butterfly's metamorphosis in my work to signify this spiritual evolution).

Another was a series of books that seemed to wake me up with a snap - the most important one for me was "Self Knowledge" by Adi Shankara.

And another reason was that I was increasingly losing my sense of self - I started to notice that I was wearing masks everywhere I went - it was like I was different people in different settings (and none of them myself!)

So started a long journey of finding my way back to myself - to find the different pieces of me, and integrate them together until I feel more at home, at peace, with myself than I ever did.

Even though I've grown so quickly these past few years, I feel like there's a long journey of learning ahead of me - and I love it, it's fascinating!!

message 5: by Saiisha (new)

Julie wrote: "I can honestly say I didn't have the best childhood, nor the worst. I remember vividly a male voice in my ear once when I was very very young telling me I'm going to be okay and I'm meant for great..."

And thank you so much for sharing your story - this is divine! As in, divinely guided - as you explain it, when you look back. It's amazing to look back and connect those dots, isn't it? And like you, I see it all as a journey of learning as I live.

Eckhart Tolle's book (The New Earth) was also a book on my path of learning and waking up for me :)

And I agree, I'm not worried now about who understands me or doesn't - I'm noticing that as people leave when they don't understand me, they make room for others who guide me on my path, or those who I need to guide.

It's an exciting journey :)

message 6: by Saiisha (new)

Barbara wrote: "I have continually "grown" into my spiritual place. Lonely childhood led me to connect with nature/God and feel at home there. I didn't feel like I fit in at school, but loved learning and have alw..."

I can totally relate to your feeling of not fitting in, Barbara - all my life, I felt like I was outside of that inner circle at school, college, work, etc... it's only now that I feel like I have my own circle. But looking back, I had my own circle then too - like you, nature was a huge part of my circle then too; and books have always been a big part of my circle as well :)

message 7: by Saiisha (new)

Julie - I love this question so much, I'm going to post it on my facebook group as well. If you're on fb, I'd love for you both to join... https://www.facebook.com/groups/OldSo...

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments Saiisha wrote: "Julie - I love this question so much, I'm going to post it on my facebook group as well. If you're on fb, I'd love for you both to join... https://www.facebook.com/groups/OldSo..."

Saiisha,
That warms my heart that you like it so much. Thank you.

message 9: by Saiisha (new)

Julie wrote: "Saiisha wrote: "Julie - I love this question so much, I'm going to post it on my facebook group as well. If you're on fb, I'd love for you both to join... https://www.facebook.com/groups/OldSo......"

Love it, thanks again Julie!!

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments Agreeing with Barbara that I also had a lonely childhood, but not lonely in the conventional sense, lonely like I don't fit it, these people, they don't understand me, we're from different worlds, type of lonliness...and that went on for a long time.

Looking back I can see a Spiritual path of a sort there, more like breadcrumbs, but I was too full of rage and other emotions that I needed to work through to actually see what was happening.

I have this quote on my wall at work (I have many quotes on my wall at work) but this one quote is "True Forgiveness Is When You Can Say Thank You For The Experience"...and so I'm trying to forgive my past, others, myself and I can see the "thank you" in everything from my journey. Even through the pain, I can see it, readying myself for the day when I can fully feel it, embrace it and own it.

message 11: by Saiisha (new)

Julie wrote: "Agreeing with Barbara that I also had a lonely childhood, but not lonely in the conventional sense, lonely like I don't fit it, these people, they don't understand me, we're from different worlds, ..."

That really is so true Julie - when we can not only forgive others, but get to a place of understanding how they helped us on our own path, that's a huge step forward - and I mean HUGE - because it's not easy :)