Readers Inc. - Monthly Book Club! discussion

DISCUSSION THREAD | Chapters 7-9 - THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Discuss the final chapters of the novel here.

:D

message 2: by Cataluna6 (new)

Cataluna6 | 14 comments I was a little miffed when Mrs. Montague and Arthur arrived - I can't quite put my finger on it, it is almost as if they broke up the merry gang of four. Although Arthur and the 'manly men show' was kind of amusing. I did find it interesting that with their arrival we finally venture into the usual 'haunted house' fare with the planchette, (is it just me or does she talk about it like its a person?).

This was such an engaging read. I felt like it was more psychological thriller than horror. The ambiguity of the story really helps to create a chilling read that had me hooked. I had the same feeling while reading The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories recently, as the characters dove into madness I felt that unease, a prickling along the back of my neck. And Eleanor's final frantic race around the house, dancing along the veranda. And that ending! Jackson has written the story so well that it really allows the readers to make up their own mind - whether Hill House is beset by ghosts, malevolent evil or that Eleanor is in the midst of a psychotic break.

message 3: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler I really liked that the reader never gets to know what was real and what was imagined. And some comic relief amidst all the madness as well with the arrival of Mrs. Montague and Arthur, hilarious.
One of the best scenes for me was Eleanor's ghostly race through the house. I thought her forced departure the next day was maybe a little rushed & would have deserved some more explanation, but other than that: a really good book and the ending was fantastic.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly! I love how the ending is somewhat ambiguous and I just thought from beginning to end, the scope of Eleanor's characterization was brilliantly executed

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina Huntz (lectito) | 11 comments Was there some ghostly time travel? Eleanor was trying to tell herself she should go home? I feel the house was aiming at her from the begining

message 6: by Cataluna6 (new)

Cataluna6 | 14 comments Britta wrote: "I really liked that the reader never gets to know what was real and what was imagined. And some comic relief amidst all the madness as well with the arrival of Mrs. Montague and Arthur, hilarious. ..."

I agree with you about the ending, I had that feeling when you're almost finished and you can see there's not enough pages for what you want to happen.

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Jeffrey Jr.  | 1 comments Just finished. My first Shirley Jackson.

Loved being nestled and comforted in the cozy parlor with these character and then, at the same time, feel anxious and a little scared of Hill House's darkness.

Eleanor is such a sad and disorienting character. So untrustworthy but fascinating.

Maybe Eleanor had to leave because Hill House was actually scared of her. Maybe Eleanor's own personal haunts were too much to keep under Hill House's roof? Eleanor herself was haunted and doomed to spend eternity at the twisted Hill House?

Can't wait to read more Jackson.