Play Book Tag discussion

The Bookseller's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #1)
This topic is about The Bookseller's Tale
October 2016: Historical Fiction > The Bookseller's Tale by Ann Swinfen - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 5767 comments Anyone who knows my reading habits is aware that I love both a good mystery and the medieval period and when I can combine the two, I am particularly happy. I am always on the lookout for a new series and have found one in Ann Swinfen's Oxford Medieval Mysteries, which begins with The Bookseller's Tale.

It is the spring of 1353, shortly after the Great Pestilence and bookseller, Nicholas Elyot is crossing a bridge on his way back to Oxford when he spies a body in the river. After he pulls it out he realizes it is a former employee and student at Oxford, William Farringdon. Of course Nicholas becomes involved in the solution to his death.

Swinfen nicely introduces characters who we will continue to see as the series develops. The setting is well developed and she has done her research, which I appreciate.

It is not a tale for deep thinking, but I appreciate the break it provides from more serious reading.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Booknblues wrote: "Anyone who knows my reading habits is aware that I love both a good mystery and the medieval period and when I can combine the two, I am particularly happy. I am always on the lookout for a new ser..."

This one sounds truly perfect for you! I need to think about "break" types of reads going forward. I feel like I may have read one book this whole year that I would really classify in that way, and it was so nice! I read a lot of great books, but I don't always look for books that are more relaxing . . .