The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > Your Favorite October/Horror Reads

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10058 comments Mod
Hey everyone! I know I'm a bit late with this, but I was sitting here thinking about Halloween and scary reads and wondered what some of YOUR favorite scary books are.

What books have scared the beejesus out of you?

Are there books that you revisit this time of year because of thier scare factor?

Are there any horror or scary books you plan to read this month for the first time?

message 2: by Nihar (new)

Nihar Suthar (niharsuthar) | 27 comments I actually haven't read any scary books, so I'm interested to see what people think here. I think the freakiest book I've ever read is I Am Legend. That wasn't super realistic, but still kind of scary.

-Nihar
www.niharsuthar.com

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Come Closer by Sara Gran was pretty wild. It's about a woman slowly being possessed by a demon.

I also really liked Bird Box by Josh Mailerman, because it totally plays on the fear of the unknown.

And Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill was pretty well done too.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Stephen King's The Shining is always an excellent Hallowe'en read! John Saul is another author I enjoy reading for a scare.

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 1 comments I don't have a favourite Halloween read but I am hoping to read Joyland by Stephen King for the first time.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 547 comments Margaret - I'm finally gonna read The Shining for the first time next month (didn't have time this month) and I'm really looking forward to it.

The books that scared me the most in high school = House of Leaves and American Psycho. HOL was actually my favorite book at the time - the summer before senior year my close friends and I read it at the same time and became extremely obsessed with it. We did the same thing with Fight Club (we were equally divided re: movie vs. book; we'd get high and debate it endlessly haha).

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 292 comments I love Ray Bradbury's The October Country but I wouldn't say that I found it scary. I do think Dark Places by Gillian Flynn is a definite thriller with a good twist in the end (and I liked it better than Gone Girl).

Two books that I would definitely recommend for people looking for thrillers would be Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill and Dennis Lehane's Mystic River.

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (psyko_kittie12) | 117 comments House of Leaves is amazing! I love anything by Dean Koontz as well.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne | 624 comments Scariest book I've read recently (and LOVED) was The Killing Lessons by Saul Black, pseudonym used by Glen Duncan. Such a gripping writer.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 547 comments Pamela wrote: "I love Ray Bradbury's The October Country but I wouldn't say that I found it scary. I do think Dark Places by Gillian Flynn is a definite thriller with a g..."

Hell yeah Gillian Flynn! I also recommend her debut Sharp Objects.

message 11: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1948 comments For me it's Needful Things. Sadly I don't have time for another Oct read. I'm already two books behind. :-(

message 12: by Tanima (new)

Tanima (nerdtanima) | 12 comments I haven't tried many horror books because I WILL have nightmares for days. I'm reading Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None and it's been a mysterious/thrilling read so far. Very straightforward and crisp.

message 13: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1948 comments Tanima wrote: "I haven't tried many horror books because I WILL have nightmares for days. I'm reading Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None and it's been a mysterious/thrilling read so far. Ver..."

It's a good choice for October.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 547 comments Karen M wrote: "For me it's Needful Things. Sadly I don't have time for another Oct read. I'm already two books behind. :-("

Needful Things freaked me out so much when I was 13. It was my first Stephen King read.

message 15: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Bumping this discussion up because it's that time of year again and I'm curious to know what book(s) people have lined up in preparation for halloween!

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) I do not usually read horror / scary / paranormal genres. I mean, I have read them, and even enjoyed some, but I don't make it a point to read them in October (or any other month). However ... it was my turn to recommend a book for my F2F book club and I've nominated Dracula by Bram Stoker. Should be an interesting discussion.

message 17: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 1260 comments For something different, I'd recommend A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. It is a very self aware take on the horror genre.

One of my favorite, straight ahead horror novels is The Ruins by Scott B. Smith. It is high on the scares and a really suspenseful read.

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott | 9 comments I have House of Leaves and Something Wicked This Way Comes on deck. (wanted to add And Then There Were None as mentioned above but with that 500-page monster House of Leaves, I doubt I will get to it.

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ethan, I have A Head Full of Ghosts downloaded but haven't read it yet. Glad you enjoyed it. I read his novel Swallowing a Donkey's Eye which was amazing!

message 20: by Matty (new)

Matty | 8 comments The Devil Crept In by Ania Ahlborn is a book I've read recently & I really enjoyed it! I loved the setting small town with creepy woods, gave me some Blair Witch Project vibes & Rosemary's Baby is a good one too, I'm currently reading it right now.

message 21: by Jacq (new)

Jacq I don't read enough scary stuff, but when I was younger I read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and it freaked me out!! I don't know if it would still be as freaky, but I'm not about to try it out!

message 22: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I loved those books and even bought them for my kids to read when they were younger!

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 292 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I do not usually read horror / scary / paranormal genres. I mean, I have read them, and even enjoyed some, but I don't make it a point to read them in October (or any other month). However ... it w..."

That's my book choice for October as well. I've had it sitting by the bed for far too long and its time to finally read it.

message 24: by Kim (last edited Sep 14, 2017 07:41AM) (new)

Kim  L | 5 comments A reread for me is Rebecca and I also think that Dracula is a good go to this time of year. I try to gather all my scary books and read only those during October.

message 25: by Donia (new)

Donia Strand | 5 comments The scariest book I have read is 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - with its echoes of The Haunting of Hill House and depicting a sleepy small town with a dark secret, it absolutely captures the imagination.
For this October, maybe I'll pick up something from Clive Barker - Weaveworld was fantastic.

message 26: by Donia (new)

Donia Strand | 5 comments What a grand idea to read only scary books during October!

message 27: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 1260 comments Donia wrote: "The scariest book I have read is 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - with its echoes of The Haunting of Hill House and depicting a sleepy small town with a dark s..."

You can't go wrong with Stephen King!

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Donia wrote: "The scariest book I have read is 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - with its echoes of ..."

YES .... back when it was a brand new book I was reading it non-stop, sitting in my apartment on the 3rd floor. Just as I got to the scene where the little boy's friend knocks on the window, someone knocked on my door ... and I screamed out loud!

Turns out it was my neighbor, inviting me out for a drink....

Next time he had that impulse he called ahead ....

message 29: by Donia (new)

Donia Strand | 5 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Donia wrote: "The scariest book I have read is 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - with its echoes of ..."

YES .... back when it was a brand new book I was reading it non-sto..."

Haha, I guess you needed that drink after that! Yes, the same spot in the book got me, however, it was a rainstorm and a branch that kept hitting my window. I spent a couple of sleepless hours and am sure that If anyone could have seen me I would have resembled an unblinking owl in the dark.

message 30: by Erica (new)

Erica (skynme2) This is my favorite topic. I just added a bunch to my library. I recently finished Nocturnes and enjoyed most of the short stories. The Troop was so disturbing I probably won't ever get it out of my head. I really enjoyed Bird Box and I have recently read Suffer the Children , The Silence, and Snowblind I loved Stephen King and Dean Koontz as a kid and I'm always looking for new scary/creepy books to read.

message 31: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Erica, I listened to The Troop on audio and I agree, especially the chimpanzee scenes! Those will never leave my head, never ever!

I loved both Bird Box and Suffer the Children too!

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol Happy October! I'm not usually a fan of horror/scary stories but I love the idea of reading something in this genre for October. My husband still can't believe I've never seen the movie The Shining so maybe I will try and read it instead. I also hear that 'Salem's Lot is ridiculously scary. Hmmm....do I dare?

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Donia wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Donia wrote: "The scariest book I have read is 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - with its echoes of ..."

YES .... back when it was a brand new book I...

Haha, I guess you needed that drink after that!"

Actually my neighbor needed the drink even more than I did. My loud scream scared HIM!

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa McGlynn (toopenamindseye) | 6 comments Jacq wrote: "I don't read enough scary stuff, but when I was younger I read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and it freaked me out!! I don't know if it would still be as freaky, but I'm not abou..."

Yesss! I loved those as a kid! I found the collection with all 3 books in it a few years back and bought it. Just can't get enough of those illustrations!

message 35: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 29 comments Carol wrote: "Happy October! I'm not usually a fan of horror/scary stories but I love the idea of reading something in this genre for October. My husband still can't believe I've never seen the movie [book:The S..."
I read The Shining and scared me silly. Now that could be because I was 12, in a cabin, a mile in the woods, in a rainstorm, by myself! (my family was "in town an hour away getting supplies" No electric, just candles. My Dad thought he was funny later that night. He scratched on the outhouse so I thought something was out there. I was terrified.. oh how they laughed,, LOL. But it is a very good book.

message 36: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 29 comments Scott wrote: "I have House of Leaves and Something Wicked This Way Comes on deck. (wanted to add And Then There Were None as mentioned above but with that 500-page monster..."
I read Something Wicked This Way Comes with a book club. I really liked it. It was scary without being to gross. I might just re read that!

message 37: by Scott (new)

Scott | 9 comments Sally wrote: "Scott wrote: "I have House of Leaves and Something Wicked This Way Comes on deck. (wanted to add And Then There Were None as mentioned above but with that 50..."

I'm in the middle of it now. so impressed, so very Bradbury. it's poetic fright noir.

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Sally wrote: "I read Something Wicked This Way Comeswith a book club. I really liked it. It was scary without being to gross. I might just re read that! ..."

Great choice!

Snippet from My Full Review:
This book scared the beejesus out of me – and I was listening ONLY in broad daylight, during my daily commute. Like the best roller coaster, Bradbury S-L-O-W-L-Y drew me up the incline of suspense, dropped me into terror, and then evened out to let me catch my breath, only to realize there was another, steeper, incline ahead. When finally the ride was over I was giddy with relief … and wanted to “go again!”