Play Book Tag discussion

Caddie Woodlawn
This topic is about Caddie Woodlawn
October 2016: Historical Fiction > Caddie Woodlawn / Carol Ryrie Brink - 4****

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
Caddie Woodlawn – Carol Ryrie Brink
4****

This Newbery Award winner tells the story of Caddie Woodlawn, age about 12, in 1864 Wisconsin, growing up on a farm with her six brothers and sisters, and her two parents.

Brink based the novel (and a sequel) on the stories her grandmother told about living in Western Wisconsin during the time of the Civil War. The family is tight-knit and the children have many adventures, including exploring the river and woods near their homestead, and visiting the local tribe of Native Americans (“Indian John” being a particular friend). Caddie is a courageous, intelligent and resourceful girl, but she IS a child and sometimes the pranks and adventures she engages in go awry leading to some real dangers. She is a bit of a tom boy, spending more time with her brothers than with an older sister or her mother, but she is faced with the inevitability of “growing up” and becoming more ladylike.

The story reminds me a bit of Laura Ingalls Wilders’ “Little House” books, and that is definitely a good comparison. The book was originally published in 1935 and the way the Native Americans are portrayed is indicative of the times when it was written. But don’t let that dissuade you; it should open the door for good discussion with your children. Definitely a book worth adding to your children’s library.

Karin | 7000 comments I remember my kids and I listened to that on an audiobook a number of years ago, but I no longer remember the story. Perhaps I was too busy doing other things and didn't listen to all of it.

message 3: by Denizen (new) - added it

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I remember really liking it as a child. My children never read it, however, so no later in life refresher.

message 4: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1470 comments I loved this book as a child. I wonder if I still own it. It has been a long time since I last read it.

message 5: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2813 comments The book used to appear on reading lists of 'strong girl characters' for middle elementary, but I think it may have gone out of favor because of the native american character.

message 6: by Red52 (new)

Red52 Me too. I loved This book as a child.