Play Book Tag discussion

October 2016: Historical Fiction > Rules of Civility by Amor Towles 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments With all the chat for Towles' new book out this fall, I hadn't even read his first. So the library waiting list was long for A Gentleman, so I requested this one instead, and I'm so glad I did. It was really a joy to read. Normally my brain is calculating away about where the story is going, but not here. I was happy to be lead anywhere Towles wanted to lead me. I read Brooklyn not too long ago about a young woman in NY in a similar time period (but Brooklyn, obvs, rather than Manhattan) and it felt overwritten and underdeveloped at the same time. These words just flowed. I just loved it. And now I have a copy of A Gentleman in Moscow to continue my new infatuation with this author.

My regular gr review...
I adored this book. From beginning to end it was a delight. Set in one year, 1938, in New York City, it's the story of Katey a 20-something Manhattanite. But really Towles could have been writing about almost anything and I think it would have been wonderful. His words are complicated but easy to read at the same time. He phrases things in unique ways, he's an expert at the simile ("whistled like a hard hat appreciating the hem of a skirt") everything is just clever without being over the top. Loved it. Unbelievable that this is a debut novel.

The plot is engaging and not guessable, except that you kind of know the ending from the beginning. It's sad and happy and hopeful. Really enjoyable read.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8188 comments Great review Jen! I also loved rules of civility, and in fact it was my swap book that I offered. It didn't get opened until late, but even then it got a few swaps. Hopefully we will be reading gentleman together. Nice weather today. Enjoy.

message 3: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Lovely day! Went for a morning run, spent some time gardening, going to read a chapter of Gentleman and then off to a party to hopefully eat some yummy food and hang out outside for a couple hours. Maybe the last warmish weekend of 2016.

message 4: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 16, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5547 comments I really liked this book; 4**** from me. Glad you found it.

message 5: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I'm so glad you enjoyed it, I loved it.

message 6: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2151 comments I loved Rules, gave it five stars. I am listening to the audio of A Gentleman in Moscow and it will probably be at least one of the best audio and best book for this year.

message 7: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I will have to revisit all of my books for the year but this may be in my top 3. I really enjoyed it and it's just the type of book I like best.

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6258 comments yay!!! So happy you loved it. Me too!!!

message 9: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Anita wrote: "yay!!! So happy you loved it. Me too!!!"

Double yay! I, too, adored this and would kiss Anita's feet for introducing me to this if I could. I also really enjoyed A Gentleman in Moscow. I thought I would love it more given its setting, but I don't know that I do. Don't know that I love it less. I think we have just seen this is an author to be reckoned with. The breadth of the writing is amazing.

message 10: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I have a gentleman in Moscow right now but I'm in the midst of a long book. I hope I get to it before I need to return it.

message 11: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4865 comments (Groan) and there are two more books on my TBR tower...

message 12: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments annapi wrote: "(Groan) and there are two more books on my TBR tower..."

You won't regret it!

message 13: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Regina wrote: "Anita wrote: "yay!!! So happy you loved it. Me too!!!"

Double yay! I, too, adored this and would kiss Anita's feet for introducing me to this if I could..."

And I am pretty sure that I was the one who hyped this book at Shelfari, I read it when it was first released and couldn't say enough about it.

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5547 comments Ladyslott wrote: "And I am pretty sure that I was the one who hyped this book at Shelfari, I read it when it was first released and couldn't say enough about it. ..."

I'm pretty sure your endorsement is what got me to read it.

4**** from me. My Review HERE

message 15: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I didn't notice that phrase about Greenwich/Delaware. I agree it's an odd thing to say. Towles went to Yale, so it seems especially odd, I work at Yale and it's about 30 minutes from Greenwich. Looking towards Long Island is about the only thing I would say you could be looking towards in that part of CT.