History in Vogue discussion

The Body Snatcher
This topic is about The Body Snatcher
2016 > The Body Snatcher

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie Williams | 713 comments Mod
A group of friends share a few drinks, when an eminent doctor, Wolfe Macfarlane, enters. One of the friends, Fettes, recognizes the name and angrily confronts the new arrival. Although his friends all find this behaviour suspicious, none of them can understand what might lie behind it.

The Body Snatcher is a short story by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson. First published in the Pall Mall Christmas "Extra" in December 1884, its characters were based on criminals in the employ of real-life surgeon Robert Knox around the time of the notorious Burke and Hare murders. The posters accompanying its release had to be confiscated by police because they were deemed too gory for public view.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 531 comments Heads up, is this supposed to appear under "The Turn of the Screw"? I'm going to download the story, so am trying not to read the spoiler above, but was wondering if it was supposed to have its own thread.

message 3: by Marie (new)

Yes, it's supposed to be there, I didn't want to start new folders for a bunch of short stories. I'll probably rename it later when I have the chance.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 531 comments After the dramatic beginning, I was surprised at how flat the ambiguous ending fell. Granted, I read it late at night over two nights, but I finished it this morning and thought, "Huh? Really? All of that fuss because they both imagined that?"
The prose is great, but considering that you leap right into the action/drama on the first few pages, I found that it was easy to get lost in the prose, and several times i had to go back a few pages and re-read, because I was losing the thread (again, that may have been a consequence of reading late at night0.
This makes me think that maybe RLS was more of a novelist than a short story person. The free Kindle download came with a Collins short story that I hold a little more hope for.

message 5: by Marie (last edited Oct 18, 2016 06:28PM) (new)

Yes, it did fall flat at the end, especially considering the much stronger The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I was hoping to enjoy it more, because the film version with Boris Karlof, Henry Daniel, and Bela Lugosi is my favorite classic horror movie. They changed MacFarland to the doctor, and expand the story quite a bit.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 531 comments will have to watch that!

message 7: by Marie (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "will have to watch that!"

If you have TCM, it comes on Friday night at 11:00pm.

message 8: by Linda Abhors the New GR Design (last edited Oct 19, 2016 05:23PM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 531 comments I don't see it in the lineup, so good ol' Cox must have moved it to the movie pak. Thanks for the good idea, tho!

message 9: by Erik (new)

Erik (airxx) | 127 comments I might have to break out the DVR for that and give it a watch. I have not seen that since I was a youngster.

message 10: by Marie (new)

I love that movie. That and House on Haunted Hill I have to watch at least once every Halloween.