Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Help - We're Desperate

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karl (new)

Karl Wiggins | 7 comments Myself and another author who I manage have a situation on Goodreads that is threatening to get out of control, and it's possibly best if I keep it brief but start from the beginning.

As well as my own books I look after another author, Harpie. I've published six books for her and we have plenty more to go. She is compelling reading and has led a 'troubled' life;

1. Witnessed her mother murdered by her father
2. Abused (physically, emotionally & sexually) by her father
3. Various children's homes
4. Mutism for two years
5. Self-harm (one book ‘2005’ is dedicated to this, which is very brave)
6. Married a Gypsy who violently abused her
7. Her son was brought up by the Gypsy family
8. and so on. It’s all in the books.

You can see why she'd want to keep her identity private, can’t you?

So I front for her. I publish her books under a pseudonym, put my own name on the cover as well as Harpie and have promised to keep the general public away from her.

Unfortunately, an ex-boyfriend who she kicked out a few months ago is completely obsessed. He is, to put it mildly, an extremely nasty piece of work, and there is no let-up. He knows the true identity of Harpie, he's threatened two of her lodgers and she's now lost them, he's threatened me, called me a fraud because I didn't write her books (I've never claimed to write her books, the name on the cover is Harpie [with Karl Wiggins] - although she's actually pleased if certain people think I did write them), he's told everyone in their local pub, loudly, about all the private parts of her life, shouting across the pub, "Hey Harpie (not her real name), tell us about when you used to sxxk your dad's dxxk," "Hey Harpie, show us the scars from when you cut yourself, tell us all about cutting yourself." He shouts these things across the pub loudly.

She threw a pint of beer over him and he's had her arrested for assault. She could lose her job as a care nurse.

We've been forced to unpublish in the UK because she doesn't want her family reading her books (obviously), and only publish her books on Amazon USA, India, Canada & Australia

So he's now gone and told her family

And now he's surfaced on Goodreads

His goal is to absolutely destroy her life. She has no money but has even offered to pay him off if he'll quit and leave her alone. I felt it was a bad idea, but she paid him off several hundred pounds and he still hasn't quit.

On Goodreads he's leaving comments on her books (which all have the title 'Thanks for the Vodka' prefixed by a year), accusing me of being a fraud, pretending to be on her side, but in reality it's just one more way to attack her. And he's now leaving comments on my own books.

I've blocked him, but the comments are still there, so this is where we desperately need a helpful Goodreads Librarian to help us;

• Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove his comments? (from the Harpie books, and from two of my own books 'Grit - the Banter & Brutality of the Late-Night Cab Driver' and 'Shit my History Teacher DID NOT tell me')
• I'd like to ensure that that my name on Harpie's six books is as 'editor' not 'author'. I've tried to change this myself but it won't let me. Or even take my name off altogether

I don't want to distance myself from her, because I don't want to leave her alone to deal with him, but I just want to give him the least ammunition possible

If there any helpful Librarians out there it would be very much appreciated. This girl has suffered enough in her life

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13669 comments Unfortunately, apart from changing your role to 'editor'*, most of this cannot be handled by librarians, who are volunteers, not staff.

Best thing is to report this to support (at) goodreads (dot) com

*and Goodreads doesn't allow editors being named on books other than anthologies and critical editions. Since the covers have 'with Karl Wiggins', your name can't be deleted, but 'co-author' would be a better role. Maybe you can also discuss this with Support.

(I only count 5 books on Harpie's profile, not 6?)

message 3: by Karl (new)

Karl Wiggins | 7 comments Thanks for your advices, Lethe.

I may have to take my names off all the covers. I don't have a problem with that. It just feels like I'm abandoning her to deal with this on her own. It's always been co-author, and I have had some impact, especially for 2005, but that was only to divert attention away from her. Obviously it's not working.

And yes, there are only five books. We're working on the sixth right now. You'd think at my age I could count up to five, wouldn't you?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
This is not a Librarians Group issue, but one for the Contact Us link on the Help page. Librarians can help with issues pertaining to specific book records or most related issues, but have no control over general site functionality or related issues, and are not the appropriate place to turn for legal issues. Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.