CanadianContent discussion

Genres > Children's Picture Books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
A place to talk about and suggest great books for kids and adults to enjoy together!!

message 2: by ❀ Susan (new)

Interesting list @Sue - some make me reflect on books that I loved and make me think how I tend to revisit these to share with my kids when really, what is wrong with reading/rereading some of these great books as an adult - I don't need an excuse!!

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments Board books are my life right now with a toddler!!
His current favourite is Sea Otter Pup. I admit, it's pretty damn adorable. :)

message 4: by ❀ Susan (new)

I miss my board book days!!! We loved Owl Babies, Is Your Mama a Llama?, Crocodile is Green and the usual favourites like Goodnight Moon, The Very Hungry Caterpillar and a bunch of Dr. Suess board books. I still keep these special ones!!

oh... and Guess How Much I Love You along with our favourite picture books by Robert Munsch!

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison | 2264 comments Anyone seen Grump? This was, and remains, my favourite kids' book. It even sparked a monthly Mummy's Night Out when I lived in Ottawa, where six women with babies at home promised to come and not grump about the hard parts of having little babies! It was called No Grumpy Fridays.

Yeah, that book enhanced my life in many ways. Oh, and the kids love it too. Still.

(Runner-up for me remains Bear Snores On)

message 6: by ❀ Susan (last edited Oct 17, 2016 08:19PM) (new)

@Allison - This one is new to me but sounds cute!

@Sue - The Land of Stories have been popular here. My daughter is 13 and has been collecting them. I will suggest them to my son too!

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments @Susan right?!? It's been fun reading with him and he defiantly prefers some books over others. It's been interesting!
Little Owl Lost ... we can recite this one without the book.
There is a series called cozy classics. Right now we're reading Cozy Classics: Emma but his favourite cozy classic is Cozy Classics: Moby Dick.
Also I got all these books as gifts from my literary minded friends and family at my baby shower. :) Wuthering Heights: A BabyLit Weather Primer, Jane Eyre: A BabyLit Counting Primer and Sherlock Holmes in the Hound of the Baskervilles: A BabyLit® Sounds Primer

message 8: by ❀ Susan (new)

I love Little women! One of my all time favourites!

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Oct 24, 2016 09:47AM) (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 233 comments I have a 4 year old. He likes funny stories best I would say. Some of our favorites this year have been: On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein, Mabel Murple, Gaston, Dusty Locks and the Three Bears, The Snagglegrollop, Trouble Gum, and Send for a Superhero!

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments I wish I had noticed this discussion topic before. I have been on a huge illustrated children's book kick. I was out of town last week and when I returned I had 61 children's books waiting for me. Of course
I couldn't carry them all home at once so I took out the first
thirty-five and I read them all in two days. I just love the illustrations
and some of the stories are excellent, while others are just ok. I can't remember any of the titles now. What I do is go through the library
catalogue and just order the newest titles. I am also trying to read my first YA novel (when I was growing up I don't think we had YA)which I am supposed to review for another online site but so
far I'm really not liking it. I find it is trying to be too cute, anyways
I need to finish it. Of course unlike children's illustrated books which you can polish off five in one sitting, this YA book is 200 pages and as it isn't very interesting, it is taking me forever to get through. Today I have to stop off and pick up another 35 children's books!

message 11: by ❀ Susan (new)

Here are some interesting facts about Robert Munsch, who has been a favourite in our house: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2015/06/70-am...

message 12: by ❀ Susan (new)

some recommendations from the CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/books/11-must-read-...