Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Of Scars from Motorbikes and Men
This topic is about Of Scars from Motorbikes and Men
Adding New Books > Links to Indie Publisher

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aswin (aswinsam) | 9 comments Hi -

We are a new indie publishing house. Starting to add our novellas and short stories here.
Can't find the section in the add/edit books where i can add the link to read the story.

For this specific story, it's https://quillrapp.com/story/of-scars-...

I'd like to know the process for future additions too so that I can do this myself.

Aswin (aswinsam) | 9 comments I'd also need to delete https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... as it's a second entry for the same book that got added by accident.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments The link above is not a suitable link. It requires the user to login / create an account to view the data / story.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Got 2

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Only thing he author on a claimed profile can add a preview of a book on GR.

Links in the URL field must be to a site that does not require the the user to create an account to view the details, must not just be a sales page.

If you do not see a URL field, post suitable links in this group and someone will add.

Aswin (aswinsam) | 9 comments Ah okay. The publishing platform requires a login.

So we'll not be able to add the link to the novellas anywhere on the goodreads page for the book till the platform itself changes? In the description / similar text fields?

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Yep,

External links are not permitted in the description for any reason

Aswin (aswinsam) | 9 comments For the same book, the platform has made the page accessible pre-login. How do I add this link now? (and for future books)

https://quillrapp.com/story/of-scars-...

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42443 comments Mod
One line and then requiring a login is not making a page accessible without a login.

message 10: by Aswin (last edited Nov 15, 2016 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aswin (aswinsam) | 9 comments That's all Amazon does too.
What would you expect on the page? Are there any guidelines for this?

* We don't have ISBN numbers.
* We don't have cover images.
* The descriptions can be as long as the author wants, but the platform doesn't force longer descriptions.
* There will be related books etc listed at the end of the page.
* We sell these stories / books like any other platform, so we can't make the content itself accessible.

If there are guidelines defined about what the page should or shouldn't have, I'd like to follow that.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23771 comments As a librarian & reader I can give examples -

All Romance Ebooks - I never log in to that site unless I'm actually buying. I can read descriptions & excerpts without logging in.

The same with extasy books. Because extasy has excerpts librarians frequently add their URLs to the book pages.

Aswin (aswinsam) | 9 comments You can read the descriptions / excerpts here as well as long as the author chooses to add them on the page.

message 13: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Aswin wrote: "That's all Amazon does too.
What would you expect on the page? Are there any guidelines for this?"

Amazon links are also not allowed in the description or in the URL field. Amazon is allowed under the "Get a copy" buttons, but so would your site be if it were possible to search for books by ISBN or title. However those are configured per user, not per book.

Here are the guidelines for what is allowed in the URL field:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/403

In short: It has to provide added value and if it's just repeating information already available on the page here, or only provides a shopping cart, it's not allowed.

Unfortunately the example URL in that link has been moved, so here's another book from the same author's site (the first one I clicked on):
http://www.suzannebrockmann.com/upcom...
I'd put this at the lower limit of "added value", but it does provide some additional information that isn't easily accomodated on GR book pages, such as the authors notes.

Here's the high bar to aim for: (an entire website dedicated to a single book and it's internal mythology):
http://www.arielbook.com/

Aswin (aswinsam) | 9 comments Cool - thank you krazykiwi for this detailed response.

From looking at this, I can see that I can do two things.

- Forcing authors with a minimum length for the descriptions
- Have the info from the author's profile page displayed on this particular URL instead of just the name (which has author's bio, facebook page, twitter and web links)
- Some reviews will be added as a part of the description on our page after launching the book & some reviews start coming in (the initial idea was to just redirect to Goodreads for reviews)

Do you think that'd be sufficient?

message 15: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments You'd have to ask Rivka to be sure, but I'm not so sure.

Descriptions are available on the GR book pages (and excerpts can be added there too.) The author bio and contact info is on their GR author profile, and on the right of every book page. Those alone wouldn't add any value.

Speaking as a reader and GR user, without my librarian hat on, I'm here on GR to read the reviews and curate my view here so that people I trust , so there's no added value to reviews elsewhere, unless they are editorial (commercial) reviews. Copies of the GR reviews off the API feed wouldn't be incentive to click through.

I think you should be looking at something like author's notes on the book (not on themselves), additional content, editorial reviews, images, etc.

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42443 comments Mod
The URL field does not have to be filled, and in most cases it is left blank. As Krazykiwi said, to be added to that field a URL should have additional content directly related to the book.

An author profile would not qualify. Neither would one that primarily has external reviews. Excerpts are common (especially longer ones), and so are the other examples Krazykiwi mentioned.