Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > The Mason List - October 16

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki Willis (last edited Oct 16, 2016 06:07AM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments We will be reading The Mason List by S.D. Hendrickson The Mason List by S.D. Hendrickson

Please use spoiler tags when you comment. :)

Read at your own pace.

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
I'm really sorry Vicki, but because I hadn't heard back from you I thought you'd changed your mind so I just started reading. I'm already on chapter 27.

Just read at your own pace and comment when you want and I'll join in. I'm really enjoying it so far,

message 3: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments No problem! I will read and catch up. :)

message 4: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Ok, I started this yesterday and OMG... I love this book!
Within 3 pages, I was about to cry and got completely invested.
I am at 50% right now and can not figure out what is going on or what happened or is going to happen, but I am so scared and anxious to find out.

Present day- (view spoiler)

I love how the book is going through the years starting at childhood. It really shows a sweetness to friendship and love. But because the friendship is so pure and true, it worries me about what will come. I think this is going to be one of those books that crushes and devastates you by the end.

How are you finding it Lynn? Where are you in the story?

message 5: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Your frustration with the present day is exactly what made me fly through the book and finish it the same day lol

I really enjoyed the book and like you loved that it started from childhood and saw how the friendship and love grew.

I did have a couple of problems with the book that stopped me from giving it 5 stars but I'll discuss that with you once you're finished :)

message 6: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Ok, I finished.

Wow, that was a sob-fest for me. I literally cried for the second half of the book... And stayed up until the middle of the night to finish. I could NOT put it down. I had to find out what happened.

I loved it. I gave it 5 stars.

I have to say I was shocked when (view spoiler)

I cant wait to hear what bothered you about it.
I am so glad we read it. I would have never heard of it or found it if it wasn't for this group.

message 7: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Oct 23, 2016 05:28AM) (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Sorry Vicki, I read your last comment when you posted but didn't have time to give you my thoughts ..... then totally forgot about getting back to you!

I can totally understand your 5 stars, it was such a gripping and emotional story and like you I totally devoured it.

However as I said before, I did have a couple of issues which ultimately meant my rating dropped. I loved loved Jess' character, his unconditional love for Alex and for the ranch just melted my heart. However I found myself so frustrated with Alex. I know she'd been dealt a horrible hand in life but she was so selfish in her pity-party, rage-fest. So consumed with what had happened to her that she lost sight of all that was good around her. So many times I wanted to slap her stupidness out of her!

I also had a probem with the ending, it was so rushed! The whole story had taken it's time beautifully, taken us on a joureny and then bam! Alex had an about turn, the mystery of the story was revealed and then just as quickly all was ok and it was over. I felt very short changed by the ending.

Despite my complaints though, I still loved the book and would defintely recommend it.

message 8: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments Yes, I can see that about the ending. I did not expect it to wrap up so quickly and nicely, since that isn't how the book went the whole rest of the time.

What are you thinking for My Heart and Other Black Holes? Do you want to wait and see how it does in the polls? (It doesn't look close)
When would be a good time for you to start it? I can pretty much do whatever you think.

message 9: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Let's see what happen with the polls first and then work somehting out ...... and if it doesn't end up as a group read, then let's do a better job at buddy reading together lol