Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2016 > December 2016 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1705 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to nominate a book for the group to read for December 2016.

Please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box to insert a link to the Goodreads book page for the book you are nominating, so other members can more easily assess it.

You may nominate a book which has been suggested previously and did not win. You may nominate more than one book, but we may not include all of your nominations.

Please do not nominate a book which is unlikely to be available to all members, such as one which was just published within the last three months or which is only available on Kindle.

Nominations will close on October 20 or when we have about 10 good nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 2: by Peter (last edited Oct 15, 2016 07:20PM) (new)

message 3: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 7 comments I'd like to nominate I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong. Very readable! I'm a third of the way through, had to return it to the library. It's on my holds list.

message 6: by আবু (new)

আবু নাসিম I found these two books to be highly entertaining and educative. Both are written in simplistic prose and in case of the latter witted comments made by the author will surely make you laugh. They are for an audience with general knowledge about bioscience.
A Planet of Viruses: Second Edition
Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More

message 8: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Susanne wrote: "I'd like to nominate I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong. Very readable! I'm a third of the way through, had to return it to the library. It's on my holds list."

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life is a little too new. It was just published in August 2016. Try it again in several months.

message 9: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Manzoor wrote: "The Moral Brain: A Multidisciplinary Perspective, by Jean Decety and Thalia Wheatley..."

I don't think The Moral Brain is widely available for all our members. Amazon US has a hardback and a kindle version, both pretty expensive, but no paperback and no audio version. It's not available at my library, which is a large one.

message 10: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Aminko wrote: "Perhaps Remarkable Minds: 17 More Pioneering Women in Science and Medicine by Pendred Noyce..."

This book also doesn't seem to be widely available. Amazon has it in hardback and paperback, but not kindle and not audio. Also my library doesn't carry it. And it seems to be written for children.

message 11: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

আবু wrote: "I found these two books to be highly entertaining and educative. Both are written in simplistic prose and in case of the latter witted comments made by the author will surely make you laugh. They a..."

We already read A Planet of Viruses in July 2013. Here is the discussion thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by Manzoor (new)

Manzoor Elahi Betsy wrote: "Manzoor wrote: "The Moral Brain: A Multidisciplinary Perspective, by Jean Decety and Thalia Wheatley..."

I don't think The Moral Brain is widely a..."

Oh! Sorry. I checked the price before commenting but thought that it will be available at libraries, because it was published in 2015. Now that I've checked it's rating on Amazon & Goodreads, with only 2 & 4 members rating it, it is not widely read, not even close. So, there's no way that it's going to end up in libraries anytime soon. I guess I should've been more wary.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 368 comments Might have been aimed at academic libraries?

I'd like to nominate Darwin's Ghosts: The Secret History of Evolution by Rebecca Stott.

message 16: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Leveque | 1 comments I just finished Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science it was fabulous, I would definitely recommend it. Next on my to do list is Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before!

message 17: by Betsy, co-mod (last edited Oct 17, 2016 05:19PM) (new)

Alyssa wrote: "I just finished Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science it was fabulous, I would definitely recommend it..."

We read Complications for May 2009. Here is the discussion thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Did you intend to nominate Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before?

message 18: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nargus wrote: "Surgery, The Ultimate Placebo: A Surgeon Cuts through the Evidence..."

This book looks interesting but is still fairly new, having only been published in May, and doesn't seem to be widely available. It is available from Amazon US in paperback and kindle, but not audio, and there are only 13 reviews. We tried two large US libraries and didn't find it. So, let's hold off on this one. You can try again in several months.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 656 comments I'll nominate Earthquake Science by our new member Judith Hubbard. It's free right now for the Kindle, so I just got a copy.

message 20: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Jim wrote: "I'll nominate Earthquake Science by our new member Judith Hubbard. It's free right now for the Kindle, so I just got a copy."

Sorry, Jim, that's too new. Just published in September. Also, I'm not sure how many people would be interested in reading a book targeted to children.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 656 comments OK.

message 22: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are closed. Please vote for your preference at the following poll, which will be open through October 26:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.