Clean,Non Religious-Reads discussion

General > Some of your favorite clean/non religious reads

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C., Group Creator (last edited Oct 15, 2016 06:55PM) (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
I love reading what treasures other readers have found.

Here are some of mine~ If You Remember Metal Skates by Nancy Williams

Once Upon a Flock Life with My Soulful Chickens by Lauren Scheuer

The Pioneer Woman Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond

The Children's Blizzard  by David Laskin

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) by Ray Bradbury

Forget Me by K.A. Harrington

Second Sight by David Williams

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

The Edgewood Trilogy

The LOTR trilogy

Please share some of yours.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 47 comments I've read many books over the years that I've loved and that fall in the clean/non-religious category, but a few stand out in my mind:

Standing in the Rainbow
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
As well as other books by Fannie Flagg

Calamity Jayne
The Calamity Jayne series by Kathleen Bacus

The Christmas Train
The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter Series

The Lord of the Rings
LOTR Trilogy

To Kill a Mockingbird
To Kill a Mockingbird

Gone with the Wind
Gone with the Wind

message 3: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Barnes | 2 comments The Blue Castle - one of my absolute favourites. It's beautiful.

To Say Nothing of the Dog - I am still reading this but I am in love with it already.

The Peter Wimsey mysteries - in particular Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon - which is where he meets Harriet Vane.

Jamaica Inn - underrated IMO. Couldn't put it down.

message 4: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Thanks so much for responding! I already see titles to try. :D

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien
Lord of the Rings

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol

Smoky the Cowhorse by Will James
Smoky the Cowhorse

The Twilight Saga (Twilight, #1-4) by Stephenie Meyer
The Twilight Saga

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
The Razor's Edge

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Young Readers Edition by William Kamkwamba
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

message 6: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Thank you Carol. I remember ~Smoky the Cowhorse, loved it!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) C. wrote: "Thank you Carol. I remember ~Smoky the Cowhorse, loved it!"

That book made me cry so hard, as an adult!

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ You will find very few bad words in Norah Lofts books, also Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart. I read most all of them but be careful about the Merlin Trilogy. Some of it is very bad based on my second reading a couple of years ago.

The Day of the Butterfly (shocking subject matter however)

The Brittle Glass

Someone did just mention that some of her books are very depressing and like Wilbur Smith she does not mind killing off her heroines so if that bothers you don't read them. I sometimes get tired of happy endings and need some "real life". Years ago I got very bored with romances that all end the same.

message 9: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 56 comments I agree with Autumn about Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart. I inherited my grandmother's large book collection and found them to be the perfect blend of romance and suspence. I also gained many from Madeleine Brent and Velda Johnston, all of which are good, clean fun. :)

message 10: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Haven't yet read them, thanks for the suggestion, Misty.

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ Misty wrote: "I agree with Autumn about Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart. I inherited my grandmother's large book collection and found them to be the perfect blend of romance and suspence. I also gained many from ..."

Glad we agree! I will keep Madeleine Brent and Velda Johnston in mind as I have never read any of their books.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terricb) | 5 comments I love Madeline Brent as well - adventure, romance, and totally clean. Haven't loved everything by Mary Stewart, but Victoria Holt is usually a good bet. I will definitely check out Velda Johnson - thanks for all the suggestions!

message 13: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Brasher | 5 comments A couple of my recent good clean reads:

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Lunar Chronicles (starting with Cinder) YA fantasy

The Railway Children by E. Nesbit The Railway Children--Maybe too sweet to be believed, but so charming

message 14: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer is on my TBR list!

message 15: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Stone | 2 comments Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy - actually most of Mave's, but especially this one. There's a moment in the book that actually made me sob with sorrow. It's such a great read.

message 16: by C., Group Creator (last edited May 18, 2017 04:17AM) (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Claudia wrote: "Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy - actually most of Mave's, but especially this one. There's a moment in the book that actually made me sob with sorrow. It's such a great read."

Hi Claudia. WELCOME to the group!
Thanks for the heads up. I mostly prefer to avoid tear-jerking depressing downer books.

message 17: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Stone | 2 comments C. wrote: "Claudia wrote: "Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy - actually most of Mave's, but especially this one. There's a moment in the book that actually made me sob with sorrow. It's such a great read."..." Oh it's not a downer book - there's just a bit that's really sad....if that makes sense? Maeve is great for an easy read! Thanks for the welcome :)

message 18: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Re: Claudia, oh ok, in that case, I will try her. :D

message 19: by S.T. (new)

S.T. Sanchez I really like "these is my words". Its' a great book if you havent read it. There are others in the series but I could never bring myself to read them, I couldn't imagine them getting any better

message 20: by Libby (new)

Libby (bulldog369) Has anyone ever read Craig Johnson books? I was wonders if his books didn't have a lot of cussing in his books.

message 21: by Ken (new)

Ken | 13 comments Libby wrote: "Has anyone ever read Craig Johnson books? I was wonders if his books didn't have a lot of cussing in his books."

I tried one of his books on audio, and stopped after a few minutes due to F-bombs.

message 22: by Libby (new)

Libby (bulldog369) Thank you and that is all I needed! I definitely not going to read his books. Do you have any suggestion of mystery authors that write semi clean or clean or any suspense authors?

message 23: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments I'm reading a book right now that is very good, though not completely clean. There's been no F-bombs that I recall, but there's been a couple S-words. Also a couple steamy but fairly non-graphic sex scenes (the door is open, but they're not talking about the body parts) and multiple closed doors. I'm not done with it, yet, so I'll keep you posted. It's called "These Sorrows We See" by Tamsen Schultz. (Doesn't sound like a romantic suspense by the title, but it is.) It's part of a series, but seems to be a stand alone.

I hesitate to mention my own books, but I know Chris knows I've chatted quite a bit without pimping my work. I write clean suspense with a dash of romance. You can check out my profile if you want to see.

message 24: by Libby (new)

Libby (bulldog369) Thank you!

message 25: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments I have to update you, shortly after I posted this, I ran across the first f-bomb in the story. 😒 But I do think it's the only one, so far, and I'm more than halfway through.

message 26: by Libby (new)

Libby (bulldog369) Thank you! I will definitely be skipping this author!

message 27: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Thanks for the update Kristi. :D

message 28: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments I just noted two more. It's a shame. It's a really compelling story and I absolutely love the characters. I don't know why she felt she had to pepper those in there. Sad.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) | 16 comments I've been reading "Dìlseachd - A Forgotten Crown" on Wattpad, for those who like historical romances set in Medieval Scotland. :-)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/7028376...

message 30: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Sounds interesting, Jennifer, but what is Wattpad?

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) | 16 comments Wattpad is an online storytelling community where writers can post their novels.

Since the majority of users are teens, they keep much of their content clean, though mature works aren't forbidden.

The story I mentioned above was written by a very talented homeschooler, although if I hadn't read that on her profile I wouldn't have been able to tell just on her writing - she's really good! :-)

message 32: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 30 comments Some of my favourite Sweet Contemporary Romances:

1) What He Wants by Jessie Gussman

2) Fiance by Fate by Jennifer Shirk

3) Kissing the Maid of Honor by Robin Bielman

4) Her Backup Boyfriend by Ashlee Mallory

5) She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not by Zeenat Mahal

Some of my favourite Cozy Mysteries:

1) White House Chef Mystery Series by Julie Hyzy

2) Jane Jeffry Mystery Series by Jill Churchill

3) Angie Amalfi Mystery Series by Joanne Pence

4) Domestic Bliss Mystery Series by Leslie Caine

5) Death On Demand Mystery Series by Carolyn G. Hart

message 33: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 918 comments Mod
Several of those titles sound promising, Ramla.

message 34: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 30 comments C. wrote: "Several of those titles sound promising, Ramla."

Thanks Chris :-) Hope you enjoy the books if you get a chance to read them.