Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] Voting for 14th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Voting is now open!

The 2017 Reading Challenge will continue the concept of this year's challenge, with 52 weekly topics. Users then choose a book fitting each topic in order to complete the challenge.

The Process:
The topics for the 2017 RC list have been determined through 14 mini-polls. This is our final poll, determining the final 2 topics. Each user will vote for their top 4 and bottom 4 topics, with the top 2 topics completing our 2017 challenge list.

The Rules:
- Voting ends October 22
- One vote per poll per user

Reminder of Current Challenge Themes:
--- Title & cover ---
A book with an animal on the cover or in the title
A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding any subtitles)
A title that doesn't contain the letter "E"
A book with a one-word title

--- Reading List/Goodreads/People/Recommendations ---
A book in the middle of your TBR list
A book from someone else's bookshelf
A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading
A book recommended by one of your favorite authors
A book you meant to read in 2016
A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next"
A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read
A book you choose randomly (lucky hand, randomizer, etc)

--- Inside & theme ---
A book with a strong female character
A book based on a myth
A novel inspired by a work of classic literature
A book about a famous historical figure
A book with an unreliable narrator
A book set in a fictional location
A book with at least 2 perspectives (more than one main character and point of view)
A dual timeline novel
A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere
A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland)
A book with illustrations
A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, or cold)
A book where one of the main characters is royalty

--- Genre ---
A Penguin modern classic
An epistolary fiction book
A mystery
A historical fiction
A book that is a subgenre of your favorite genre
A nonfiction book
A book of magical realism
An adventure book
A Time Travel book

--- Author & publishing---
A book by an author you haven't read before
A book written by a person of color (i.e. someone who isn’t white)
A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere
A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland)
A banned book
A book written by at least two authors
A book by one of your favorite authors
A book published in 2017
A really long book (600+ pages)
A book published outside of the top 4 publishing houses (Simon&Schuster, HarperCollins, Penguin Randomhouse, Hachette Livre)

--- Awards, challenges, adaptations, lists, etc ----
A book from the Goodreads "Top 100 YA Books"
A category from another challenge
A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016
A best book of the 21st century (so far)
A book from the BBC The Big Read list (link)
A book being released as a movie in 2017
A Hugo Award winner
A past suggestion that didn't win

Survey Link

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2720 comments Tough choice. I had a much easier time choosing my bottom 4 than my top. I voted against categories that I found too restrictive or that I think would be difficult for me to find anything that would interest me (based on a bit of searching).

The top 4 was harder because there weren't a ton of categories on that list that I really felt strongly attached to. There was only one that was an immediate "yes" for me, and the other three were just the ones that seemed most interesting or easiest to fulfill with something I'd like to read anyway.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments It's our last survey! I had 2 prompts that I really want from this poll. It will be interesting to see what comes out on top since we're only getting 2 out of it.

message 4: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2995 comments I didnt have any "must haves" but finally chose 4 I wanted slightly more than the others. On the flip side, I only had one that I really really dont want just because i am so so tired of that particular subject. Other than that one, any of the others will be fine on the final list.

message 5: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 2 suggestions I bottomed previously are in the batch, so no real difficulties to find 2 others. For the top, I continued to vote for the ones that decidedly don't seem popular enough this year to end in the list and for one that would be fun to fill. My hopes are low but as there are several suggestions that are nice, I'll probably be fine with whatever is chosen (except one of my bottoms).

message 6: by Bec (new)

Bec | 793 comments Hard for me too as nothing really stood out as something I want to read.

message 7: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Only two of these stood out to me as they were ones I'd voted for previously but then picking two more was tricky because none of the rest of them stood out to me at all from when they were suggested previously or now. I settled on two that I thought could be interesting and that I slightly preferred to the others but it was hard to pick. Bottom 4 was fairly easy to choose.

message 8: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 27 comments I didn't "must haves" either but I voted for funny title, because why not!
I am excited to see the final version of the list...

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments Can't wait to see what ones win, then I can start making my.list

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Is it the 22nd yet? I can't wait to see the final list!!!!

message 11: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Nicole wrote: "Is it the 22nd yet? I can't wait to see the final list!!!!"

It is now! :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.