The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)
This topic is about The Trespasser
Group Read Discussions > Oct / Nov 2016 Group Read - The Trespasser by Tana French

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
This is the thread for The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad, #6) by Tana French The Trespasser by Tana French. The moderator will by Suzy.

Enjoy the book and the discussions.

message 2: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Putnam (jazminep101) | 4 comments Looks interesting. Just downloaded it on my Kindle :)

Vanessa | 13 comments I'm on the fence with this one. I only read the first book in the series. I didn't love it, but I think that was mostly due to clashing with Rob. I always intended to give the series another shot, and I've seen that they can be read out of order. I'm wondering what people that have read the whole series so far think about jumping in at this one.

Samantha (samanthan) | 4 comments Vanessa wrote: "I'm on the fence with this one. I only read the first book in the series. I didn't love it, but I think that was mostly due to clashing with Rob. I always intended to give the series another shot, ..."

I've read the whole series! You could jump in at this one, but you'd lose some of the interconnected-ness and nuances of having read them all in order. But The Trespasser is great enough to stand alone and will make sense if you read it out of order.

Samantha (samanthan) | 4 comments I loved The Trespasser! Along with The Likeness and Broken Harbor, it's my favorite of the series!

(view spoiler)

message 6: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 926 comments Samantha wrote: "I loved The Trespasser! Along with The Likeness and Broken Harbor, it's my favorite of the series!

[spoilers removed]"

I loved In the Woods. I'd love to know how Rob is doing but I don't think we'll ever know. I loved Faithful Place. I actually like Frank Mackey.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments I everyone! I'm looking forward to chatting about The Trespasser and Tana French in general. I love you've already dived in! Here are my questions:

Will you be joining in on our discussion?
Have you read other Tana French novels?
What do you think about her books? Like best? Like least?
If you've read more than one, which are your favorites?

Some of you were psychic about my questions and have already answered them. :)

I will not be able to start on the book until later this week and I will be listening. I have read all 5 previous books, some in print and some in audio.

I'll add more book specific questions a little later in our cycle.

message 8: by SherryRose (last edited Oct 17, 2016 07:30AM) (new)

SherryRose | 926 comments I read all of them except The Secret Place. I just couldn't get into it. I have The Tresspasser on hold at the library. Tana French has speciail style. Her books stay with me forever.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments @Sherry, I agree that she has a special style.

The Secret Place was my least favorite of her books; indeed, I didn't like it. I love her character development, storytelling and ability to keep us guessing. The thing I like least about her books, is I have described them as "bloated". They are long!!

message 10: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments To all - I found this New Yorker article from Oct 3 to be so insightful about French, her writing and her books. It helped me appreciate her writing more fully. I don't think it contains anything that would spoil your enjoyment of any one of her books.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/201...

Jessica H | 32 comments Hi everyone! This is my first post in the group and am so happy this was the chosen book! I just finished it last night (no spoilers here of course)

This is my 3rd Tana French book. I've read The Likeness (#2) and The Secret Place (#5). I have loved all of them, and to me they were all incredibly different. I think Secret Place has actually been my favorite, but I think teenage girls and their friendships / relationships are incredibly interesting...in it we are also introduced to Detective Antoinette Conway, although she is not the narrator.

In The Trespasser, Detective Conway narrates and she is a fantastic character. She is tough as nails, but once you see her inner thoughts, you can see why. I loved this book! Can't wait to discuss more and hear everyone's thoughts!

message 12: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments Jessica wrote: "Hi everyone! This is my first post in the group and am so happy this was the chosen book! I just finished it last night (no spoilers here of course)

This is my 3rd Tana French book. I've read The ..."

Hi Jessica - welcome to the group and this discussion. Thanks for your comments. I think your comment about Conway, that we can see why once we understand her inner thoughts can be said about many of French's protagonists. It's one thing I especially like about her writing - seeing the whole person and not just their actions. Check back for more in-depth conversation!

message 13: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments Hello - I'm checking in after reading about 40% of the book.

A question - is anyone else listening to it? I am and like the narrator a lot, except for her voicing of one character, DI Breslin.

An observation - this book is unlike the other 5 in that most of the action (so far) takes place at Murder Squad HQ in "The Castle". In her previous books, the action takes place in a neighborhood, a development or a town and in detectives' houses and apartments with allusions to HQ, where most of the detectives worked hard to avoid going. I'm liking the change of pace and the suspense added from the squad/case dynamics. Also seems to be more humor.

All-in-all, I'm really liking the 40% I've listened to so far. Having a hard time putting it down.

Vanessa | 13 comments I finished it just a few minutes ago, and I'm glad that I read it. I think a change in narrator was all I needed to enjoy the series.

Breslin seems like he'd be a tricky one for a narrator. There are so many descriptions of what he sounds like that it would be hard not to be imagining a very distinctive voice.

message 15: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments Vanessa wrote: "I finished it just a few minutes ago, and I'm glad that I read it. I think a change in narrator was all I needed to enjoy the series.

Breslin seems like he'd be a tricky one for a narrator. There ..."

That's a great point, Vanessa. I think the narrator overdoes the "slick" stuff, making his voice like a caricature rather than a character.

Jessica H | 32 comments I read it rather than listened also. I think what made Breslin so slick was his ability to sound natural, and not sound slick at all. Conway references how good he is several times in that she has to remind herself he's putting on an act, otherwise she would catch herself falling for it too. (Thinking of the locker room conversation she has with him and also how they easily get into a rhythm while questioning Rory) --

I love Conway and Steve together. I hope Tana keeps them around for the future novels!

message 17: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments Jessica wrote: "I read it rather than listened also. I think what made Breslin so slick was his ability to sound natural, and not sound slick at all. Conway references how good he is several times in that she has ..."

I liked them together too. But if her pattern holds, they won't be the main D's in the next book. Perhaps Breslin, lol.

If I remember correctly, Steven Moran was in Broken Harbor as a floater.

I'm almost finished - about another hour.

message 18: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments I've finished reading The Trespasser and really liked it, For about 3/4 of the book, I thought I'd be giving it 5 stars, but I don't think I will given the last 1/4 of the book had the aspects of French's writing that I have found frustrating in other books, namely passages that go on way too long. Specifically in this book Conway's final interview with Lucy in her home and their interview with McCann. But with that said, this is likely to go down as my favorite Dublin Murder Squad book. I like the setting, the dynamic between Conway and Moran and the way that French builds the suspense about "whodunit". At times I found Antoinette's paranoia about her squad trying to do her in overdone. That she was paranoid rang true, but I thought it was brought up too often and too emphatically. (view spoiler) And the ending of the book was especially satisfying to me. I was wondering how "the Gaffer" was going to handle the situation and what his next steps were likely to be.

I'm curious how others of you who are reading this are finding it.
Those who have finished, what did you think (if you've not yet weighed in)?

message 19: by Tad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tad (tottman) | 139 comments I'm about halfway through. I like it but I'm not loving it like the other Tana French books. There's something about the Antoinette Conway character I'm not enjoying. It's like she's taken a step back and is less confident than she was in the previous book.

This is my third book of hers I've read. Faithful Place is still my favorite and I love Mackey.

Suzy made an interesting point that this is the first book where so much time (at least so far) is spent at the station. I do love French's style and dialogue and the way she sows doubt everywhere. On the case, on the motives, on the detectives and everyone's self doubts.

So far this book reminds me in some ways of the movie Homicide starring Joe Montegna where the detective becomes so obsessed with the religious factor of the murder of a Jewish person that they lose sight of the crime itself. That echoes for me here in Conway's obsession with what's going on with the squad that may be unrelated and pulling her focus away from the actual murder.

message 20: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments Tad wrote: "I'm about halfway through. I like it but I'm not loving it like the other Tana French books. There's something about the Antoinette Conway character I'm not enjoying. It's like she's taken a step b..."

Great last point, Tad. Conway's ability to really investigate this murder is diminished because of her obsessive paranoia. Maybe French's obsession with Conway's obsession got in the way of her writing :). At least for me, her constant refrain of who was out to get her got old after a while, but I still enjoyed the book.

message 21: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 653 comments Hi all - The Wall Street Journal had a brief review of The Trespasser last Saturday. I loved and agree with the closing sentences.

Ms. French writes dialogue like nobody's business, and The Trespasser has enough surprises to keep your brain buzzing. Perhaps the most satisfying reversal is Conway's odyssey from bitter paranoia to regenerative enlightenment.

message 22: by Tad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tad (tottman) | 139 comments Suzy wrote: "I've finished reading The Trespasser and really liked it, For about 3/4 of the book, I thought I'd be giving it 5 stars, but I don't think I will given the last 1/4 of the book had the aspects of F..."

Really interesting how things strike different people differently. For the first 3/4 of the book, I was thinking I'd be giving it 3 stars. Then up until the last 10 percent I thought 3.5 and by the end, I was all the way up to 4 stars.

I've talked about the problems I had with the book through the first part, but I thought the pace of the book and the way things all came together at the end was electric. I loved the interview with McCann and the one with the gaffer.

Even in the early part of the book that I wasn't enjoying quite as much, I love French's dialogue. I've never been to Dublin but French makes me feel like I have, or at least that I've been hanging around people from there. Really have to agree with the blurb from the Wall Street Journal.

Jennifer Aue Hi, I have just finished the book " The trespasser" and was wondering who the next narrator might be in the next book?
Will it again be someone from the murder squad or might she pick someone else?
My guesses include: Gary, Sophie, Breslin or Fleas

What are your thoughts on it?

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Faithful Place (other topics)
The Trespasser (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tana French (other topics)