What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction: Male teen's parents arrested for growing pot, teen becomes homeless. Read and published ca 2002-2005.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (last edited Oct 16, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Erica C | 6 comments He runs away after they are arrested, because he mistakenly thinks they will come after him. He gets in fights and eventually kills a man near a railroad track. I It turns out his parents were eventually released from prison and had been looking for him for a while. He also had a brother who had gone in to foster care and was out.

I read this somewhere between 2002-2005. I believe this was shortly after it was published because I met the author in a restaurant in NYC - he was in his mid-20s. We were in Barnes & Noble the next day and they had it on a giant featured display, so we bought a copy.

I believe the original version of the book had a yellow cover with a series of photo booth photos on it.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments What time period did the story take place?
Part of a series?
Location story takes place?
Did the majority of the story focus on the boy being homeless? Or, leading up to the parents getting arrested?

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica C | 6 comments Story takes place at the time of the writing, so early-2000s. Majority of the story was about the boy being homeless. I can't recall location.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
YA or adult?

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica C | 6 comments I would classify it as adult for character complexity and themes.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Erica, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica C | 6 comments still looking

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Erica, why is the boy afraid of his parents?

What's the location (country/region/city/small town)?

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica C | 6 comments He is not afraid of his parents. he just assumed they were either imprisoned forever or that he would be taken away.

I don't recall the location.