Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Early American Republic

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 27 comments This is probably a little specific :/

I've been obsessed with the Hamilton cast album lately and it really got me interested in the early American republic. I've seen a number of historical fiction books written set in the Revolutionary period itself, but few in the period directly after. Does anyone know of anything good?

I've already got Burr by Gore Vidal, The Hamilton Affair by Elizabeth Cobbs, and Scandalmonger by William Safire on my to-read list and I've already read The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss.

I'm not opposed to anything set during the Revolutionary period either (I've got Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara on my to-read list) and on the media side I really enjoyed the John Adams HBO miniseries from a few years ago.

Any help appreciated!

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments Here’s one that spans both sides but is mostly early Republic: Barbara Hambly’s Patriot Hearts: A Novel of the Founding Mothers.

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 27 comments Thank you, that looks really interesting and I've never come across that one before!

message 4: by Ashley Marie (last edited Oct 15, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Ashley Marie  | 564 comments The Traitor's Wife: The Woman Behind Benedict Arnold and the Plan to Betray America, The Turncoat, and Thieftaker all come to mind; unfortunately I haven't read any of them yet but they're all on my TBR.

Have you read Hamilton: The Revolution yet?

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 27 comments Thanks for your suggestions! I have The Traitor's Wife and Thieftaker on my list already (forgot about them!) but I'll check out the others. I've flipped through Hamilton: The Revolution but I haven't read it cover to cover yet.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Monti (lonepine) I have but not read yet Duel with the Devil by Paul Collins

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 27 comments I haven't read that yet, Robert, but I'm adding it to the list! Thank you

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 377 comments What about the Wagons West series, by Dana Fuller Ross, starting with Independence!?

Also the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes, starting with The Bastard.

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 27 comments Thank you, Michele, I'll look into those too!

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Smith | 5 comments Betsy wrote: "This is probably a little specific :/

I've been obsessed with the Hamilton cast album lately and it really got me interested in the early American republic. I've seen a number of historical fictio..."

The John Jakes series, starting with The Bastard, from a while back is really good. I know it's an older series but it covers pre-Revolutionary War and after, up to the Civil War.
I have been looking at this list to find some newer items: http://www.historicalnovels.info/Eigh...

message 11: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 27 comments Thank you, Kimberly and Stanley. I'd forgotten about that site, but I'll definitely be going through it again!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 409 comments There's Treason, which is set around the Burr conspiracy.

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 27 comments Susanna, Treason sounds fantastic! Thank you so much! So does Duel with the Devil, I'll definitely read both of them

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol Rayner | 82 comments Thanks for posting this thread - I’m also looking to expand my knowledge after watching Hamilton last week. Some great ideas.

message 16: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1246 comments Mod
There is an upcoming release too --My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton. I think it comes out in April. I really want to read it. America's First Daughter also by Stephanie Dray goes into Jefferson's presidency and up until his death. It also is a great way to get another perspective since he and Hamilton were enemies.