What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Little Girl Wakes Up on the Wrong Side of the bed

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Hi!

I am searching for a book that I had read to me as a child. I can't recall the name of the book and after much Googling, I am still no closer to finding any results. I am 30 years, from Australia. I have checked all databases recommend by Loganberry Books.

The storyline went as follows - A little girl woke up on 'the wrong side of the bed'. She went about her day to day tasks only to find that everything went wrong and she felt generally irritable. Toward the end of the book she goes back to bed and literally gets out of the other side of the bed and is in a better mood. I distinctly remember that the main character was a little girl, there was a scene where she was in brushing her teeth and I think she may have worn striped PJs. This book was an older book, my best guess is 1960s based on the illustrations.

Anyway, I can tell you that the book is definitely NOT 'Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day' and from memory the book illustrations were blue and orange (illustrations were sort of done using a painted effect for lack of better description) only which tells me the book was most likely released published anywhere from the 1950s - early 1980s. It was not a Golden Book. I have searched on world cat and other such sites and it is NONE of the books that come up in the results. PLEASE HELP! None of the books 'The Wrong Side of the Bed' that I have found have been the right book. Please help me!

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Forgot to add - it's a picture story book :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

sent PM

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Ayshe wrote: "Martha's Mad Day by Miranda Hapgood maybe? Here's the Kirkus review: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re..."

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if this is the book, I am unable to find a photo of the book online which I'll need to jog my memory :)
Thank you for the suggestion. Do you have a photo of the book?

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 03, 2016 07:27AM) (new)

It's crazy that it's so hard to find a cover image. Looking through worldcat.org it seems like the book is available in some libraries. I checked all my library choices and no luck. Perhaps you want to try that also. I even did a search for inter-library loans. It checks all the libraries in their network but nothing was available. Good luck.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Thank you so much for looking :)

I saw a few copies of the book for sale. I might have to contact the seller to ask if they will take a photo for me.

message 8: by Ayshe (last edited Dec 03, 2016 08:44AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4160 comments Rebecca wrote: "...Do you have a photo of the book? "
No, sorry, I just came across its description while googling for something else, I think. There's one user who has shelved the book, you could also try asking her.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ayshe wrote: "... There's one user who has shelved the book, you could ..."

FYI I did send that user a PM. *fingers crossed*

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments You guys are both so kind, thank you! :)

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments still looking :(

message 12: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Mar 12, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1856 comments I remember this book, all the way down to the striped pajamas!

I really don't think it's Martha's Mad Day, though, since that seems to have been published first in 1977, and I would have been too old for picture books then.

I guess I might have read it to a younger cousin or something, though.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Sam wrote: "I remember this book, all the way down to the striped pajamas!

I really don't think it's Martha's Mad Day, though, since that seems to have been published first in 1977, and I woul..."

Oh wow! Do you think you could remember the name? I'd be forever grateful if you did! :)

message 14: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1856 comments Rebecca wrote: "Do you think you could remember the name? "

Sorry, I can't. I tried googling but I'm not having any more luck than you did (although I did find your question on Loganberry).

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Someone on Loganberry suggested this one - A bad day / Ruth Robins Holland (1964)

Kirkus says:

"Addressing the child reader as ""You"" the text describes one of those grim days which all children have. The little girl pictured in the soft, well-drawn illustrations wakes up with good intentions but all day -- at home, at school and after school-she can't seem to put a foot right. Every small disaster, from spilled milk to tardiness, is greeted with a frown, right up to bedtime. But, ""Mother and Daddy and Big Sister Louisa come to say goodnight, Mother tucks you in tight... and hugs you tight."" The book is an earnest effort at reassurance. The use of ""You"" invites immediate identification that only sensitive children raised in gentle circumstances will be able to give. There seem to be a number of children who would find a day of frowns easy to bear, even a relief -- if they noticed them at all. An indirect and humorous approach to those familiar bad days was effectively offered in Russell Hoban's recent The Sorely Trying Day (p. 361, J-115)."

Image from ebay:

where you can also look at some illustrations:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Bad-Day-by...

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Oh wow, thank you for going to so much effort and posting this, but I don't think this is the book :( I am going to investigate further and it is quite similar to the one I am thinking of. Thank you again :)

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Sam wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Do you think you could remember the name? "

Sorry, I can't. I tried googling but I'm not having any more luck than you did (although I did find your question on Loganberry)."

Yep that was me! Thanks all the same :)

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments I specifically remember the protagonist went back to bed and then got out on the other side of the bed and was in good mood at the end of the book. Oh man this is so frustrating, why is it soooo hard to find! :(

message 19: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Spider School Spider School by Francesca Simon has this premise, but it was published in the 90s.

Here is a review from Publisher's Weekly:
Anxious about her first day at a new school, a girl named Kate opens her eyes to an overcast, gray-green morning and grumpily gets up on the wrong side of bed. All her new clothes are missing, so she has to wear a ``dirty old skirt,'' mismatched shirt and baggy socks. She proceeds (late, of course) to a gloomy school that resembles a dungeon, and she enters a book-free classroom ruled by an ill-tempered gorilla. As for the cafeteria, the title indicates what's on the menu. Simon (The Topsy-Turvies) and Coplans (Cat and Dog) exaggerate the absurdity, lessening the tension with nutty scenarios: the gorilla-teacher, adorned in a pearl necklace, reads herself a comic-book romance called Going Ape. The author also resolves the situation with ease. Kate jumps back in bed and, when she reawakens, gets out of the right side of bed. This time she finds a sunny morning, a restored wardrobe and a welcoming elementary school.

message 20: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments There is a series of books published by Hamish Hamilton called Gazelle Books that includes a book called Wrong Side of the Bed by Denise Hill This book is not on goodreads and I can't find a cover anywhere, but I was able to find some pictures for other books in the series with that old-style blue and orange two-color palette. For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boys-Girls-C... and https://www.amazon.com/Acrobat-Hamste... Here's a link to Wrong Side of the Bed on US Amazon, but with no cover picture: https://www.amazon.com/Wrong-Side-Bed...

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Adele wrote: "There is a series of books published by Hamish Hamilton called Gazelle Books that includes a book called Wrong Side of the Bed by Denise Hill This book is not on goodreads and I ca..."
Hi - Thanks so much for the reply. A couple of years back I came across said book and emailed a seller on Amazon hoping it may be the one. She sent photos back and I can sadly say it wasn't. I thought it would definitely be it because of the other books in the Gazelle series. :(
https://www.dropbox.com/s/obtzl8atcrk...

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Tab wrote: "Spider SchoolSpider School by Francesca Simon has this premise, but it was published in the 90s.

Here is a review from Publisher's Weekly:
Anxious about her first day at a new schoo..."

thanks, that's not it, but thanks all the same

message 23: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments Rebecca wrote: "Adele wrote: "There is a series of books published by Hamish Hamilton called Gazelle Books that includes a book called Wrong Side of the Bed by Denise Hill This book is not on good..."

Well, that's disappointing, but I should have known you would have already checked out anything actually titled Wrong Side of the Bed. I will keep looking!

message 24: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16818 comments You're positive it was a girl, right? I'm finding lots of similar books, but the MCs are either boys or animals.

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "You're positive it was a girl, right? I'm finding lots of similar books, but the MCs are either boys or animals."

Yes I'm pretty sure it was a girl as I'm sure I remember her wearing a dress. What are the books you're thinking of? Thanks for replying though!

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Animals....

Gretta the Goat
Crazy Cat's Bad Day
Johnny Lion's Bad Day
Pepper's Good & Bad Day
[book:Little Brown Bear's Bad Day|293046..."

Wow, thanks so much for that great list. Whilst I don't think it's any of these, I'll do a further investigation:)

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Hopefully I'll find it - not giving up hope!

message 29: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16818 comments I wonder if it might be The Wrong Side of the Bed by Denise Hill. I linked it in my earlier response, but this book is so scarce I can't find any pictures or plot info. The title is right, it's from '81, and it's a British book, which makes it more likely you would have read it in Australia.

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "I wonder if it might be The Wrong Side of the Bed by Denise Hill. I linked it in my earlier response, but this book is so scarce I can't find any pictures or plot info. The title is..."

You'd think it would be that one, but sadly it isn't. As mentioned above I thought the same thing (great minds!) but spoke to a bookseller who sent me photos... I can definitely confirm its not the book. Thanks all the same! 😊

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Adele wrote: "There is a series of books published by Hamish Hamilton called Gazelle Books that includes a book called Wrong Side of the Bed by Denise Hill This book is not on goodreads and I ca..."

I'll check out that series you mentioned. When you first posted I was unable to load the page. Thanks again :)

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Hopefully I can find it by the end of the year!

message 33: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Still looking :(

message 34: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Please note you can bump your thread (post a comment) every 30+ days - or sooner if you remember more information - because this group is so large.

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Still looking :( can anyone help please? ❤️

message 36: by kelgar01 (new)

kelgar01 | 183 comments I'm sure this is probably not it, but just throwing it out there more for elimination sake. Maya Was Grumpy by Courtney Pippin-Mathur. The date listed is 2013, which is why I'm positive this isn't your book, unless there was an older edition that was never recorded on GR.

message 37: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16818 comments Still looking, Rebecca?

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Yes I am still looking :(

message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Joy | 22 comments Thank you so much for the replies. Unfortunately these titles aren’t the book I remember :(

message 42: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1119 comments This book is from 1988.

the wrong side of bed by Graeme Fife. Haven't been able to find anything on it.

message 43: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments That's a good lead from Amber. You could contact the seller for this ebay listing and ask them about it, or heck, just buy it - it's only three dollars: https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Wrong-Si...

message 44: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16818 comments Still out there, Rebecca?

Amber's lead does look promising.