Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Books of the Month Nominations > Books of the Month nominations for November 2016

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Thought I'd start this book nomination topic earlier this time! Here's your chance to suggest group reads for November. All suggestions made in this topic will be listed in a poll in approximately a week's time so that we can vote on the two books for the monthly group read. Please feel free to repeat any earlier unsuccessful suggestions you made in previous topics.

message 2: by Donna Rae (new)

Donna Rae Jones | 115 comments I'd like to nominate Becky Chambers' A Closed and Common Orbit - the sequel to The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet. It's being released October 20th, so it'll be nice and new!

message 3: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
How about Ancillary Sword - the sequel to Ancillary Justice?

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments I would like to re-nominate Metro 2033

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Paulos (MPaulos72) | 3 comments A Dance of CloaksA Dance of Cloaks

message 6: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Donna Rae wrote: "I'd like to nominate Becky Chambers' A Closed and Common Orbit - the sequel to The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet. It's being released October 20th, so it'll be nice and new!"

Damon wrote: "How about Ancillary Sword - the sequel to Ancillary Justice?"

Sequels to earlier group reads is a good idea!

I read a prequel story in the Ancillary Justice series earlier this year - Night's Slow Poison. I'll read the next one - She Commands Me and I Obey - shortly before launching into the books. If anyone else is interested in reading these, they are both available to read for free online.

message 7: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Another good sequel is: The Year of the Flood, following on from Oryx and Crake. They are making a TV series about it apparently.

message 8: by PSXtreme (new)

PSXtreme I'm going to nominate The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton The Dreaming Void. Although I've yet to read anything done by Peter F. Hamilton, the whole trilogy has reader score averages above 4 Stars...he's got to be doing something right...

message 9: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
PSXtreme wrote: "I'm going to nominate The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton The Dreaming Void. Although I've yet to read anything done by Peter F. Hamilton, the whole trilogy has reader score average..."

Intriguing. I've added it to my TBR.

message 10: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments I'd like to nominate Ray Bradbury's classic "Fahrenheit 451". :-)

message 11: by Aled (new)

Aled Davies | 6 comments Reign A tale of lost friendship set on a distant planet.

message 12: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Mortal Engines looks like fun (I think).

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments I would also like to nominate, if it is permitted: Tuf Voyaging it's a lot of fun with some really memorable characters!

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike Paulos (MPaulos72) | 3 comments Midnight Soul.Midnight Soul

message 15: by David (new)

David Lutkins I'd like to nominate Way Station by Clifford D. Simak, one of the great classics of science fiction that has held up well over the years.

message 16: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Yes Way Station is pretty good. That is the one about the post office between worlds isn't it?

message 17: by David (new)

David Lutkins Yes, it is about a way station for intergalactic travel in Wisconsin, operated by one (seemingly very old) human. Won the Hugo in 1964.

message 18: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
The poll to select our two books for the November group read is now OPEN and will close at midnight GMT on October 31. Happy voting!

message 19: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Voting is apace but the following nominations haven't even received their proposer's vote yet: Mortal Engines, Midnight Soul, Reign, The Year of the Flood and A Dance of Cloaks. Of course, you can always change your mind and vote for another book that interests you instead.