Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > for Halloween

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krysta (new)

Krysta MacDonald (krystamacdonald) | 9 comments Forgive me if there is a discussion about this elsewhere that I could not find.

I have been putting off Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but with Halloween approaching I am finally going to tackle it today. Sigh. Am I just going to be devastated at the bastardization of my favourite book? Or is it all in good fun?

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 467 comments I giggled for the first 50 pages and then the joke got tired. I do like unusual juxtapositions, but it would have made a better short story. Am eager to see the movie, though!

If you are intrigued by the idea of paranormal takes on Austen novels (especially P&P), there’s a whole genre developing. You could head over to a group called Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 and check out the lists of some of the people there.

message 3: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments I'd go with 'devastated at the bastardization', its such a shame because it could have been such a fun story but it's written so badly.

The film does work much better.

message 4: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 673 comments Mod
I put off reading P&P&Z for awhile because of the same worry. The book is actually much more of the text of P&P than the idea makes it sound. It will never replace the original, of course, but it is a lot of fun for what it is. I thought Grahame-Smith paid a lot of attention to making some details of the story fit well with the new element-- without spoiling anything, Darcy's reason for interfering between Jane and Bingley makes him look much better in this version, for instance. The film version is actually quite a bit different from the book, too.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 123 comments The book was okay. I actually thought the movie was kind of horrible. But if you're wanting a fun paranormal interpretation of an Austen novel, I would highly recommend Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters! That one was so light and funny; I really enjoyed it and felt like Ben H. Winters was much more true to the characters while also placing them properly in the new world around them.

message 6: by Krysta (new)

Krysta MacDonald (krystamacdonald) | 9 comments Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I actually ended up fairly enjoying the book, but am glad I waited to read it till I was in the right frame of mind. I will have to track down "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters". Thanks again!

message 7: by Krysta (new)

Krysta MacDonald (krystamacdonald) | 9 comments Rachel, I totally agree about Darcy's interference making more sense. That was one thing that never sat right with me; zombies made it all make more sense.

message 8: by Krysta (new)

Krysta MacDonald (krystamacdonald) | 9 comments Abigail, thank you for the suggestion - I will check it out.

message 9: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 467 comments It’s a great group, Krysta! Very friendly and supportive of Austenesque addiction. ;-)

A paranormal series I enjoy a lot is by Beth Deitchman, starting with Mary Bennet and the Bloomsbury Coven. Plus there’s a new series by Don Jacobson that is making the rounds right now, though I haven’t read any of them yet.